Poland strategy guide

Played my last game as Poland and reached your numbers around the turn 175 with 5 cities of mine. I didn't go for Liberty but all of Rationalism instead. Reached 650 bpt when i hit Radio. Too bad i couldnt borrow gold for factories so i had to spend a (useless) policy.

Was playing emperor and DoFed only 1 civ.

Another question : Did you sign some RAs? How many DoF have you made?

Of course with DoFs you can borrow gold. 5gpt gets you 150. I'm playing exclusively Venice until I get the bugs worked out. Trade routes may encourge DoFs. In my games I have had 3 people ask me for RA's in a single turn.

I dont get why anphitheatrums so important. They only provide 1 culture only now.
Even one 'friend' Culture CS will give me 3.

Tried this build out and it certainly worked. I couldn't manage the absurd beakers in the screen shot but I was roughly level with the AI on tech by t160 (deity)

The AI was depressingly passive as I'd heard American had minutemen wandering around near my border when I had two comp bows but they only fought with each other.

I did however have a bit of trouble with barbs the AI really don't expand that much often sitting on 3/4 cities so you have big open areas where they can spawn. Also don't protect their caravans very well so you get horsemen wandering around too.

I'm not sure taking oligarchy over legalism is really worth it. You miss X turns of the better policies above legalism and gain 120-180 hammers worth of free amphitheaters in difference between them and monuments.

It also helps a lot if you can get DoF but I'm not sure what the best way of doing this is? Strangely in other games I've stolen a work from them really early and then 15 turns later that civ has offered me a DoF.

I didn't go for Liberty but all of Rationalism Patronnage instead.

Fixed. I went Full Tradition--->Full Patronnage--->Full Rationalism + useless policy because i couldnt take an ideology. I must tech faster or slow down culture a bit to ensure extra ideology.

I got a gg and a ge from the Patronnage finisher. Do they add to the gp bucket? Forgot to check.

Tommy - Is there some trick to getting DoF? I played a few games now and I get maybe 2 at most and sometimes go a very long time without one.. And yeah, there's pretty much nothing going on negative diplo wise - with anyone.

Are you trading mainly for chunks of gold or GPT?

Man, the AIs are freakin' passive as hell in this expansion.

Tommy - Is there some trick to getting DoF? I played a few games now and I get maybe 2 at most and sometimes go a very long time without one.. And yeah, there's pretty much nothing going on negative diplo wise - with anyone.

Are you trading mainly for chunks of gold or GPT?

Man, the AIs are freakin' passive as hell in this expansion.

I think this depends on the game. I get plenty of DoF's by trading and not being threatening, but eventually get denounced for having the wrong friends. The AI in my game war intelligently... but they definitely declare.

What does GA mean? I'm not used to abbreviations; do you take a great artist once you complete Liberty and use it for tourism?

I tried this strategy and it worked pretty well for me, I posted my fastest deity victory to date.

On turn 156 I had about 350 bpt or something, about 10-15 turns later wehn i got my public schools online I had 480. My cities were pretty low pop, end game they were about 24,15,15,14. I launched on turn 274. Despite my cities being small I kept waves of 4+ RAs going at all times, and was friends with all civs but two for the whole game. They were way too passive sadly, I had but an archer,warrior, spearman the whole game until about turn 250 when Japan finally made it to me and took a city off me due to his airforce. The peace made this game pretty boring, but I did have tons of gold and CS allies the whole game, maritime>culture>quests for others. I also kept the AI at war with each other for most of the game, so that can account for much of my peace, they were plotting on me most of the game.

Sadly I lost out on a religion despite having a natural wonder and the pantheon for natural wonder faith by 1 turn, they really rushed it this game.

Think I'll use this strategy for my first cultural win. Tnx.

Interesting idea for a strategy, but almost unreadable -- any chance of cleaning up the grammar and layout?

Thanks for the guide, i really enjoyed my Poland save.
Only just managed to get my head round Civ5 when BNK lauched forcing me to re-learn things.
My play tends to be unfocused at the start and this guide in general has given me a nice starting point to base my bo/sp/wonder priorities on.

ty!

Great opening strategy. The mix of Trad-Lib gets the now rare culture flowing early and the cities up and running very quickly, then maximising science is the basis for any victory.

Poland UA makes it OP, but i can't see this not being an optimal formula for almost all the civs. Shame there aren't more equally powerful openings.

Great opening strategy. The mix of Trad-Lib gets the now rare culture flowing early and the cities up and running very quickly, then maximising science is the basis for any victory.

Poland UA makes it OP, but i can't see this not being an optimal formula for almost all the civs. Shame there aren't more equally powerful openings.

The SP aspect of the strategy shows how mixing and matching can work dynamically - but it's not optimal when you're not working your way through Trad/Lib as quickly as Poland does. In most cases it would take too long to work your way through those two trees before moving on to a third.

Not optimal? You may be right -- it's still early days. I need a few more playthroughs, but so far trad-lib seems to me the strongest start for any civ.

Other civvs may miss out on completing one of the trees before renaissance, but the kick start to growth from food, 4 culture, fast settler and worker seems to be crucial.

I took a stab at cleaning up the write-up:

Capital Build Order
  • Scout
  • Scout
  • Scout (steal one worker, no more)
  • Shrine (if your scouts haven't given you a pantheon yet)
  • Monument
  • Worker
  • Scout (if you're afraid of being pillaged by barbarians)
  • Granary
  • @Necessary Gold: Buy a Worker
  • Caravan
  • Library
  • @CollectiveRule: Settler
  • Settler
Wonders for Capital
  • Oracle, or Pyramids (if not yet built)
  • National College
  • (Hagia Sophia, if you can get it; Oracle+NC are higher priority)
  • Sistine Chapel
  • Chichen Itza (if not Deity)
  • Porcelain Tower
City Placement
  • 4-5 tiles apart (not counting city tiles)
  • Maximize luxuries available
New City Build Order
  • Monument
  • Library (purchase if you have gold from selling luxuries)
  • Caravan
  • Worker
  • Granary
  • Caravan (focus on Science trade routes)
  • Ducal Stables
  • Caravansary
Overview
  • Sell luxuries
  • Find ruins with Scouts (Culture, Population)
  • Meet two religious City-States
Social Policies
  • Tradition Opener
  • Liberty to Collective Rule
  • Aristocracy (should sync with Oracle construction)
  • Legalism (make sure monuments are up first)
  • Landed Elite
  • Finish Tradition
  • Liberty to Representation
  • Rationalism
Religion (use Great Prophet from Hagia Sophia)
  • Pantheon:
    • Desert Folklore (if desert tiles)
    • Religious Idols (if several Gold/Silver)
    • Fertility Rites (otherwise)
  • Founder:
    • (Any?)
  • Follower:
    • Swords Into Plowshares
    • Feed the World
    • Religious Community
  • Enhancer:
    • Religious Techs
    • Itinerant Preachers
Technology
  • Pottery
  • Animal Husbandry
  • Mining
  • Beeline Philosophy
  • Drama and Poetry
  • Construction (if needed for Colosseums or Pyramids)
  • Theology
  • Education
  • Ignore the bottom half of the tree as long as feasible

Top Bottom