Raliuven SG3 AWE Persia

Well it doesn't seem as if the forum is bursting with games at the moment so how about:

RSG4 (to commence when RSG3 concludes) - NOW, Emperor, Republic. Civ: ??? (America, Korea? Something with a a difficult UU to trigger a GA?) Other rules? Lux slider always at 30%? No more than 1 worker per 2 cities. No use of armies? No use of artillery?

RSG5 (to commence when RSG3 concludes) - 20K. Civ? Babylon seems like a good choice but RSG3.5 is already the babs. Ottomans? I've never won a game by 20K which means I'll be about as useful as a brick. But I'd like to give this a try! I'm okay with varients if that spices it up for others.

RSG6 (to commence when RSG 3.5, 4 or 5 concludes) - Space Race, Vikings, Emperor. Sciene at 0%. May not declare on the AI until the Modern Age, but may fight wars if the AI declares. Large, 12 opponents.

For RSG4 I suggest Korea or the Byzantines. For RSG5, I have no idea what is good, but someone had a 20K story with the Ottomans, and that was pretty good.

My vote for RSG4 is: NOW, Emp, Republic -> Democracy. Civ: Americans, Germans, Egyptians, Spanish, or Portugal. I'd skip the other rules, but I'd suggest Defiant if we need anything else in the variant.

War-mongers line up on the right, builders to the left. Looks like fun is different for everyone. NOW is not nearly as intense as AW, but it is warlike. 20K makes for very long games, so an OCC on a small world might be more tolerable than standard. Toxicman, too bad you weren't in the SGFN series, we did one with very similar setup with the Spanish. Seems like we'll need a few recruits to fill out the rosters, as I would probably do the NOW but not the 20K.

Edit: For RSG4, Egypt is rarely played, could be very good choice. Spain might be cool, the Conquistador is a very interestng unit if used properly. Portugal is a challenge, with a bad trait combo and a nearly irrelevant UU. The rest are generally over-played in SGs.

I feel like Egypt just won't be very exciting, with their rarely-used UU and relatively boring trait combination. Industrious just doesn't give us much, and religious isn't really all that helpful either if we use the luxury slider properly. Spain sounds much more fun, as I think they're one of the few civilizations I've never played as (Portugal is also one of those, along with the Hittites).

My vote for RSG4 is: NOW, Emp, Republic -> Democracy. Civ: Americans, Germans, Egyptians, Spanish, or Portugal. I'd skip the other rules, but I'd suggest Defiant if we need anything else in the variant.

Question - what is Defiant? I've never played as the Spanish or Portugal, so I am partial to giving one of those a try. I'm not against the others, though.

I've had less time to play than I expected, but I've played a few turns and moved into Arabia. I need a decision before I go much further: Conquest or Domination?

We can probably hit the domination limit before the end of my turns. Conquest will take a little longer.

Either way, I hope to be able to finish my turns by tomorrow night.

I would say Conquest, except for the fact that most of our surviving opponents are an era behind us and should provide only token defenses. A fair fight it won't be... Domination is my vote.

I like conquest because it doesn't seem fair not to treat all the AI equally. :hammer:

But if the game has become too easy and is losing is allure then I'm okay with domination. I want to torture the AI, not the players! :crazyeye: I can always grab the save before the end and play it to the grisly end for my own satisfaction.

After game analysis: this one seemed rather easy to me. It was tight for a few turns between America and Carthage, but only for a few turns. How can I make a better (more nail biting) AW game? Was it the continents? Would it work better in PTW so that leaders can do more than build armies? Larger map? or just up the difficulty? Moving to Deity on an AW seems a little daunting, though. Thoughts, suggestions?

If the game is pretty much over I might even have time tonight to start setting up the RSG4 and RSG5 sites. :D

I think that continents made it pretty easy. If we'd had other opponents showing up while we were still struggling with America and Carthage, life would've been much more difficult.

Pangaea would make for a tougher AW. Also, selecting for powerful enemies and a weaker civ to play as always makes it tougher. Raising the difficulty level is another option, though it usually means needing more exploits of the Artificial Stupidity to win. Another way is to add artificial rules, i.e. no artillery, no armies, no fast units, AW/NOW hybrid, etc. (AW/NOW hybrid might be defense only vs non-target civs, can only attack the target civs' cities. It would have to be an island-free map though, or at least no unreachable islands.) AW has to be challenging, but not so hard as to be unplayable, so getting that happy medium is the hard part.

Six turns sufficed for domination. There are still 24 enemy cities on the map (only one Arabic). With no remaining resources, it was just a matter of wading through rifles, the odd guerrila, and attacking longbows at the end. The Greeks still defended with hoplites, and I'm pretty sure that they and the Aztecs have their own land mass.
Spoiler :

Turn 0: Killed cav, rifle, build town.
IBT: -
Turn 1: Army advances, kills units
IBT: Landing of 4 cavs by Sariwon
Turn 2: Move previously unnoticed army to sariwon, kill cavs. Kill 4 rifles, 2 longbows at Mecca, take city with Sun Tzu's. Kill some loose units, get a leader, make an army. Kill 4 rifles, 1 longbow at Kufah, take city with Magellans.
Turn 3: Kill 4 rifles, 1 longbow at Medina, take city. Kill 5 rifles, 2 longbows at Damascus, take city. Lots of movement.
IBT: Accidentally left Medina open - had to build roads to get there, and then forgot where my infantry were going. Lost it and some workers.
Turn 4: Retake Medina, advance on The Hague and Baghdad.
IBT: Kufah flips.
Turn 5: Retake Kufah (2 rifles). Take Baghdad (3 rifles), The Hague, Anjar, Pharsalos.
IBT: Nothing
Turn 6: Take several more cities, losing one army. Will get cultural expansions this turn to win.

Attachments

• RSG3 1425AD.SAV
    274.8 KB · Views: 189
  • RSG3 1430AD.SAV
    272 KB · Views: 210
Nice job! Well that wraps it up. I'll see if I can get RSG4 started and then RSG5 so we can see if the Rosters will fill up!

Top Bottom