Resource icon

MAKE YOUR OWN UNITS - FLICster Version 1.0.1 (build 18) now available! 2016-10-05

Can I use Microsoft Paint to edit FLC files? I have a 56k and I don't want to d/l a 30 MB file :)

ok, i finally got everything to work and now im on my way to creating new units. this is great!

my one problem concerns opening the .pal file. every time i am in photoshop, or paint shop pro, and i choose to open a new color table, and i try to open the .pal file that is made from flicster, it gives me an error saying its not a valid ms pal file.

any clue why?

FLICster doesn't create MS Pal files, it create JASC Pal files, for use with PaintShopPro - and I've only tested it with version 6. Does photoshop want MS Pal files? I think I have something around here that explains that format, I'll try to take a look. I've been really busy lately and have had no time to focus on FLICster, or even read the boards.

Originally posted by Moeniir
FLICster doesn't create MS Pal files, it create JASC Pal files, for use with PaintShopPro - and I've only tested it with version 6. Does photoshop want MS Pal files? I think I have something around here that explains that format, I'll try to take a look. I've been really busy lately and have had no time to focus on FLICster, or even read the boards.

Hey, there are still alot of things in life besides Civ3. ;)

So take your time, Moeniir. :D By the way, have you check out my Sosaria map (aka UO Map) at the map section? :cooool:

ok. i tried using animation pro, as im pretty sure it is jasc compatible. it still didnt work, actually i just think i dont know what im doing in that program.

i will find a copy of paint shop pro and learn to use that program i guess. i just got my hands on a copy of 3d studio max, and im working on trying to create things in 3d studio and transfer them over.

Ok I am usually good at figuring this stuff out but im a little stumped.

I have flicster working, works wonderful, I can open all the neat animations included with CIVIII and export them.

I dont however understand how to go from render to FLC file... I have just rendered the 8 main directions for the default pose for my currect unit from a 3D modeling program. I rendered in TGA format to preserve alpha channels to get shadows and transparency.

Now I have all 15 animation frame stills from each pose opened in Photoshop. Do I have to convert them all to PCX? THen what do I do? How do I get these rendered still images into flicster and turn them all into a nice FLC file(s)? I have read the readme many times and must be misssing something. Is there any import feature that lets you import a bunch of stills and compile as a FLC? THanks!!!

Originally posted by nEo
Ok I am usually good at figuring this stuff out but im a little stumped.

I have flicster working, works wonderful, I can open all the neat animations included with CIVIII and export them.

I dont however understand how to go from render to FLC file... I have just rendered the 8 main directions for the default pose for my currect unit from a 3D modeling program. I rendered in TGA format to preserve alpha channels to get shadows and transparency.

Now I have all 15 animation frame stills from each pose opened in Photoshop. Do I have to convert them all to PCX? THen what do I do? How do I get these rendered still images into flicster and turn them all into a nice FLC file(s)? I have read the readme many times and must be misssing something. Is there any import feature that lets you import a bunch of stills and compile as a FLC? THanks!!!

I believe you can use Animation Shop to add individual frame in various format to make them into a flc file. And I believe tga is one of the supported format. :)

Ok stumped I made this file in Maya my 3d program. It was made from a TGA with embedded alpha channels to a PCX and I made the background magenta R255 G0 B255. The shadow I couldnt change. How can I make this file useable to make it work in Flicster? I've had no luck so far so if i cant get these to work im gonna have to abandon all my projects!!

argh. Someone help please.

Originally posted by nEo
Ok stumped I made this file in Maya my 3d program. It was made from a TGA with embedded alpha channels to a PCX and I made the background magenta R255 G0 B255. The shadow I couldnt change. How can I make this file useable to make it work in Flicster? I've had no luck so far so if i cant get these to work im gonna have to abandon all my projects!!

argh. Someone help please.

Alright, this is what you can do.
1) Use Flicster to extract the Modern Armor animation into Storyboard pcx files.
2) Copy and paste what you have done so far into each of the frame of the pcx file created by Flicster.
3) Do any other necessary changes that you want.
4) Use Flicster to recompile the pcx file back in the new flame tank flc.

Hope that helps.

Thanx for responding to my post Moeniir

Would anyone please bother, explaining to me what the pro/cons is concerning Visual C++ and Visual Basic. I`m a newbie at programming, currently programming in VB, and it seems that VB is easier than C++. Does C++ have any advantages at all?

C++ is a very powerful programming language and can be used to program much more sophisticated stuff than VB. It's tougher to learn though. Can anyone tell me where there is a good C++ tutorial on the Web since I usually get so confused by the time they reach pointers I cannot go on.

Does BMP require any license?

Winamp now has a FLC viewer. It also views FLI and FLX. Not as good as your adverage ani. prog. But it's faster loading, and uses less resourses. If you want, you can get it from their site winamp.com.

I need help. I'm new and I downloaded a new unit. I unzipped it and put all the stuff in the units follder. Now when I start my saved game the new units arn't there.

Originally posted by russia1292000
I need help. I'm new and I downloaded a new unit. I unzipped it and put all the stuff in the units follder. Now when I start my saved game the new units arn't there.

You,ll need to start a new game for the changes to be made.

I was thinking of a problem I'm having with generating my FLCs where I need to constantly restart CivIII in order to see if I've got the x and y offsets set correctly. It also means that I have to "eyeball" the unit in Flicster and then export in back out to the FLC, copy it, rename it, then test again...

What I'd envisioned was having entry text boxes in Flicster where you could adjust the x and y offsets and see where the unit would reside in the 240x240 frame window.

Also, going one step further, have an option available to super-impose an image of the targeting circle (the one the displays your active unit while playing) in the center of the frame! That way you'd be able to adjust the offset, test for position, and export all in one go!

Am I alone on this one or does the idea have merit? :enlighten

I posted a similar question in the new german units thread.

I am trying to take units pictures from the Panzer General series, and bring them into Civ3. So far I can use this program to export and inport the pcx file, and I found a program to convert the Panzer General .shp files that are used in the Panzer General Series (and Peoples General for modern units) into a .bmp format. I am getting stuck in carring over, or converting the .pal files (Panzer General uses a set of .pal files also, and the conversion program I am using indicates which one is used for each picture, and will also export the .pal file into a .bmp file). While the colors in the panzer general files are fine when I open them with paint, when I place them into the Iphoto plus 4 (only program I have that lets me work with pcx files) the pcx file is fine, but the colors from the Panzer General image are all messed up. Can anyone give me some help on how to take care of this?

Thank You

First, I like the program. Good work.

Second, I was wondering how hard it would be to add another option on the "Export" section. I was wondering if you could make it where you can open a unit, and export it as a .gif, where the pink is transparent and the red shadow is greyish. I have a unit archive, and I want to re-do all the images to reflect the actual unit, not just a image they posted with their unit, and it would take too long to do all 145 units seperately in PSP.

Thanks

GIDustin

Here's a question - maybe someone has a link.. :)

How do you make such convincing unit animations? I know about using Flicster to extract/add frames, but my idea of creating units is pixel by pixel. :)
I couldn't even draw a Civ1 Legion if I tried! :D

Moeniir,

what's the current status of Flicster update allowing composition of leaderheads?

I just downloaded it, and I'm sure it'll be fun to make those units play, but I'm looking for a way to insert new leaderheads (without which the game doesn't work properly :mad: ) for new civs without, y'know, buying animation software.

If we import a leaderhead .flc to flicster, we could then edit individual frames in photoshop, right? Or draw frames and copy them into proper .flc format?

If anyone else has good suggestions for how to compose leaderheads from photoshop WITHOUT Jasc, etc., I'd love to hear them.

Meanwhile, thanks Moeniir and keep up the good work on flicster!

Top Bottom