Crusader Kings 2

Those are the "main" DLC. The rest are cosmetic stuff which are absolutely missable.

I have a lot of the cosmetic stuff because it's 50 cents on sales and I don't really care about a couple quarters. The faces are nice to have because some of them are used by mods, ruler designer is pretty neat but gets me minmaxing, the unit retextures and dynasty shields are alright but probably not actually worth 50 cents each, and the music is good but I can't really tell the difference between it and vanilla music. Plus I usually mute the game's music and play Ensiferum or something.

I ended up buying Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Old Gods, and Sons of Abraham. After the tutorial I'm about to start my first game and since there's no other games that allow you to play as a Serb (except GTA 4) I picked Chief Mutimir of Rashka in 867.
I have only one vassal and he doesn't like me, I'm the only slavic pagan in a region full of Christians and I only have a very vague idea of what I am doing.
My goal: to usurp the throne of Constantinople

Edit: And I just noticed I am not married and my heir is my 17 year old son who hates me.

I don't normally try to tell people how to run their games, but if your vassal doesn't have a very big family then you can murder him and his children until you inherit his lands. This won't work if he has a relative with land or if he doesn't own a castle. You also might be able to just take him in a straight-up fight. Act now before it bites you in the ass later.

The major DLC, which are Charlemagne, Way of Life, Rajas of India, Legacy of Rome, The Old Gods, Sword of Islam, Sons of Abraham.

Charlemagne and Way of Life are out of the question for now (since they're not on sale).
How meaningful are the additions in the other ones ?

just in case anything else has the some questions:

Sword of Islam - lets you play Muslims
Legacy of Rome - gives you some added functionality playing byz
Old Gods - pushes start date earlier, lets you play norse
Sons of Abraham - adds college of cardinals and other religious functionality
Rajas of India - lets you play indian characters
Charlemagne - pushes start date even earlier, lets you play as chuck and ragnarr
Way of Life - adds the personal goal thingies

LoR also unlocks retinues, which are standing armies and pretty integral to most mods (and also just really freaking useful).

I just got Crusader Kings II.
So far I have arrested a missionary, married an underaged slavic priestess, started an affair and sired a (legitimized) daughter with my underaged daughter in law which my son found out about. Since he can't be trusted any more I have fired him as spymaster and gave the job to said daughter in law. I have also divorced my wife after she converted to catholicism.
Now that I'm single again I tried to have my lover's husband (my son in case you had forgotten) arrested, but he managed to escape. I need to 'get him out of the picture' so I can marry his wife and have a pagan heir.

That sounds rather similar to my late ruler, conquerer of the Kingdom of Navarra and ruler of the Duchy of Gascogne. Not long after taking the throne, he fell out of love with his wife, a Byzantine princess of Norse descent. A decade or so later, a younger half-brother married a beautiful princess of West Francia. As it so happened, however, the princess took a liking to the Duke after arriving at the court, and became his new lover. With her incredible diplomatic skill of 22 providing cover, she was granted guardianship of the Duke's youngest daughter and heir.

A few years later, she became pregnant with a daughter to the Duke, but the half-brother was blissfully unaware. Just a few weeks later, she came up with a brilliant scheme to befall the still-living wife of the Duke, which, alas, failed. Another schemer's poisoned wine idea, however, would succeed.

The problem still remained that she was in an ostensibly successful marriage, and though there was a plot to kill the Duke's brother-in-law, it was weak. The Duke considered imprisoning him, but had fallen ill, and decided to wait until he regained his strength. But then an irresistible opportunity came up - a call to arms from Poitou to overthrow the Karling king of Aquitaine, who had already revoked one of Poitou's titles and now sought their entire duchy. It was off to war, with the still-secret lover appointed as regent.

And, alas, the king would not return. Dying of illness, his 13-year-old daughter took over and the West Francian princess became regent for her lover's daughter by the woman she had tried to murder with a snake. It actually was not an entirely bad situation, as the regent's 22 diplomacy means the vassals are pretty content, and the focus can be on the Karling war.

And so goes the legacy of Gartzia III of Gascogne, known by the sobriquet "The Just".

Is there any way to have fun with Ireland with the 51% duchy rule? It takes so long to fabricate claims as it is...my second character ended up infirm and senile for close to ten years. Lots of thumb-twiddling before one of the sons declared independence and I ragequitted.

I dunno, I think the 51% rule should only apply if you aren't independent and below king.

I was playing yesterday and a really weird thing happened to me. I was attacking a county with my Casus Belli to a Byzantine count (I'm Byzantine as well) and then Pechenegs came with a large stack of units and destroyed my army and my enemies army. I'm not at war with them and my enemy is not at war with them. Why is this? A reason could be that my army walked at their lands for a small time but why did they attack my enemy too then? I really don't know what is the rule that allows them to ruin my game??? Luckily I went back to an older save and they didn't charge my army again. I'm just interested in what might be the reason for this?

They're raiding.

Oh no, that sucks.. I've never heard of that before. Well, I checked what is raiding and seems like I must be aware of that in the future... This seems unfair for me because the army was really big...

Thanks for the advice.

it could be that they were at war if your top level liege

Nope, the King is my top level liege and if he is at war with someone then I'm in war with the same enemy too because I'm his vassal. If I'm at war with someone, I can see that from the bottom of the screen and that was not the case..

Thanks anyways :)!

I ran into a bit of a bug tonight, explained by the following screenshot:

So as the Duchess of Gascogne, I had married the second son of the King of Castille martilineally. At first it seemed to be a good choice. But then I got this event. Wait a second... we're talking about the same person here!

Within a couple years, the first son had suffered an unfortunate fall from a balcony, Prince Gundemar was heir, and Prince Gundemar had declared me a rival rather than a lover as the bug progressed. Soon, he inherited Castille, and not long after I declared war on Asturias to take a province. Asturias sent out a call for aid, and Gundemar decided that it would be a good idea to declare war on his wife. He had some success, too, as Castille's troops brought the tide of war back to a stalemate. Thankfully, the Pope was understanding of the strains that being at war put on a relationship, and was willing to grant a divorce. The war continued on for a few years, but eventually I gained the province I'd sought.

Having my liege as a prisoner also worked out. I managed to cajole a couple other dukes and duchesses to support Elective Succession in Aquitaine, the King acquiesced without a fight, and after that the King's first son married my niece matrilineally. Awhile later, I started a faction for Primogeniture in the realm. No one else supported it, and the King refused to allow it, starting a war. But since he was my prisoner, I had 100% warscore instantly and was able to force the matter. I have had to help put down a couple revolts to restore Elective Monarchy, but should have a dynasty member on the throne within a few decades.

Karling-supporting has paid off abroad, too, by successfully putting the former-regent-of-my-realm wife of one of my cousins on the throne of Lotharingia. She's happy, and the next generation of Lotharingian rulers will by of my dynasty.

The other main bug I've noticed is that the pictures of people keep becoming smaller and smaller circles. I haven't figured out exactly when it's happening, but I don't recall having that in my last game.

Edit: Just realized that Spain probably isn't supposed to be Visigothic in 867, either - it wasn't in 2.0.4. I was starting to wonder when it was ever going to adopt more Spanish culture, and found this thread. It looks like Spain might be remaining Visigothic forever... oh well!

I've seen a few picture bugs and I fixed them by either reloading my save or restarting the game. Can't really remember.

Speaking of bugs, I just got a similar screen: Apparently i am having an affair with my own wife behind my own wife's back.
And yes, it is the same person.

Top Bottom