War Thunder - free to play air combat

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
http://warthunder.com/

If you want to be awesome, you can also use this link to register and it will give me some minor rewards.

War Thunder is a good free to play WW2 to Korean War air combat.

Currently the main game mode is team deathmatch with objectives game (also some up to 4 player missions as well that you can unlock and give you more rewards) with future additions planned to add tanks and ships (both of which are in maps already as objectives).

It is a very beautiful and yet not demanding game and it works perfectly fine with a mouse or joystick. It has an arcade mode that most people play but planes are still fully modeled and have numerous parts that can be hit and that will affect your plane (you can even kill the pilot without taking out his plane). There are realistic and simulation modes as well.

Its fairly similar to World of Tanks when it comes to the tree for unlocking new planes and stuff, but without as many upgrades and its much easier to get decent planes and is a far better game.

The matchmaking is still a work in progress but it works most of the time, you can form squads of up to 4 players to ensure you all end up in the same match. Currently I think its 32 players max but that isn't final (its in open beta). There are no NA servers yet, only EU and Russian (Russian developer) but despite having 200 ping I have had no difficulties at all.

It was also Greenlit on Steam this week too.

Some screenshots:
Amazing mountains!
Spoiler :

Fully modeled cockpit view!
Spoiler :

Eat lead!
Spoiler :

More lead!
Spoiler :

Weather effects!
Spoiler :

A few tips (more will be added):

- Do the first three tutorials.
- Each plane you have is basically a life, once you are out of planes you have to spectate or just leave the game and go start a new one (you still get the rewards).
- Spend 100 Golden Eagles on each of the first two crew slots to buy XP for the crews to level them up. Focus on g-resistance, reload speed and make sure the mechanics repair skill is at least the same as the level of the plane you have in that slot (I just set it to 4 for now).
- Steam overlay will not work, but F12 is the in-game screenshot button.
- Out of ammo completely? Engine damaged or dead? Just need repairs? Fly back to spawn and land on your airbase (map mode dependent) and wait around for ~half a minute to repair, rearm and refuel.

Its great fun but the matchmaker and flight models and damage models and general research tree need some work. Had a Lagg ram my PBY's tail and just sit there stuck between my wing and my tail till I finnally rolled over and he slid off while I flew away relatively unscratched(I'm sure lag did attribute to some of that but once it caught up I should of died rather then carry on bombin stuff) And it's very annoying to go against jets and late WW2 planes while flyin a hurricane. Oh and the grind is just god aweful, it feels like griding from T7-8 in WoT

But it is fun, and very addicting and very natural and easy to fly especially with just a mouse. Arcade can be a blast(sometimes it's a total crapfest) have had some really fun and amazing moments(flew a Lagg that had no alerions and damage elevators all the way back to base to repair on nothing but my rudder, engine cut out on approach hit the runway to hard broke off both wings, a tail skiped and hopped along the run way and came to a halt a few feet short of a buildin, 30 seconds later I was back in the air)

If you like IL-2, you'll like this. It does have a full realistic mode as well for anyone thats a hard core flyboy, but time vs reward is not great. In the time it takes to wait for a match and then fly one you can make more exp and credits(Lions in this game) just going from arcade match to arcade match

Yeah the matchmaker needs work but it seems to be something the devs are working on. The research tree could be better but it isn't bad and the damage model seems fine to me and quite detailed. Flight model isn't realistic. I never played it, but apparently its quite similar to Wings of Prey which is made by the same developer (also you can link your WoP CD key for 500 Golden Eagles, wish I'd picked it up on sale a while a go now :p).

Ramming usually involves both parties losing wings, except for some Russian planes that seem to be like flying tanks, I haven't seen anyone get stuck inside each other.

The grind doesn't seem too bad since I am already level 6 and rank 6 in UK and 2 in Germany after only a few days and the first several tiers are a lot of fun. Getting to the high tiers will be quite the grind though, that's a problem with F2P games models.

The golden eagle prices aren't the greatest though, especially if you want Premium with gives you much more XP. Also had problems playing with Subi tonight, he could not get connected to the chat :/ Still though I have been having a tonne of fun with this, especially playing with others on TS.

Maniacal fall for a Free-2-Play MMO? Suspicious...

What PrinceScamp failed to tell you is that you can find your tiny tier 1 biplane up against Korean era JET FIGHTERS thanks to the matchmaking.

They need more maps and missions. The good ones only open up later on as you reach the higher levels.

What PrinceScamp failed to tell you is that you can find your tiny tier 1 biplane up against Korean era JET FIGHTERS thanks to the matchmaking.

They need more maps and missions. The good ones only open up later on as you reach the higher levels.

That's horrible

Well, unlike him at least I mentioned it, sort of.

The matchmaking is still a work in progress but it works most of the time

Yeah the matchmaker needs work

Its incredibly unlikely you will end up with a biplane vs a jet fighter, but once they enable the 0-4, 5-10 and 11-20 check boxes that will be a thing of the past. If you have all reserve planes and maybe one or two unlocked planes (rank 0 or 1) it almost always puts you into a match with only reserve planes and rank 0-1 planes.

Except the odd time when it doesn't... and the matchmaking gets worse from there on (it goes off the highest ranked plane someone is currently using in your squad).

I've found the variety in maps to be pretty good, there are a couple of maps that only seem to get chosen when only rank Reserve to 1 planes are present and the rest all show up as soon as you get above that.

My favorite plane is the P-40 with the Gay Yoga livery. :lol:

Its incredibly unlikely you will end up with a biplane vs a jet fighter, but once they enable the 0-4, 5-10 and 11-20 check boxes that will be a thing of the past. If you have all reserve planes and maybe one or two unlocked planes (rank 0 or 1) it almost always puts you into a match with only reserve planes and rank 0-1 planes.

Except the odd time when it doesn't... and the matchmaking gets worse from there on (it goes off the highest ranked plane someone is currently using in your squad).

Yeah except the Free beta Premium plane is tier 6.

So expect to be butt raped by jet fighters, They dont even care if they come for head to head pass, I was spraying bullets desperately and got smacked down like I was in some canvas and wood biplane while he was in an all metal jet fighter ...... oh wait !

Not playing until they fix this. I watched a jet fighter rack up 19 Kills and 6 assist in a single match.
Constantly facing way higher tier planes which have incredible advantages and I struggling to kill them despite pouring thousands of rounds into them. So Been reduced to playing bombers which isnt that fun.

Yeah except the Free beta Premium plane is tier 6.

I don't know which plane closed beta testers got, but it certainly isn't one that shows up a lot. EDIT: I don't know what you mean by tier 6 because the three tiers are 0-4, 5-10 and 11-20. The gift plane is the Typhoon Mk.1b for the British and its a rank 10 plane and expensive to repair (you get way fewer silver lions unless you get a LOT of kills at tier 2+ ranks).

So expect to be butt raped by jet fighters, They dont even care if they come for head to head pass, I was spraying bullets desperately and got smacked down like I was in some canvas and wood biplane while he was in an all metal jet fighter ...... oh wait !

Not playing until they fix this. I watched a jet fighter rack up 19 Kills and 6 assist in a single match.
That can happen to almost any plane, especially from cannon rounds which can do a lot of damage but still happens with MGs. It just depends where they hit and to some degree the plane, I have shot down lots of people with only a few hits and others take a lot of bullets.

I've played nearly 60 hours of War Thunder have seen a grand total of FOUR jets in battle. All of them late at night when there are a lot fewer people playing so matchmaking gets desperate, and three of them when someone in my squad is flying rank 9-11 planes. They did get a lot of kills but their team didn't win and anyone who has a jet unlocked already has played the game a lot and should be pretty good at playing it regardless of the plane.

Jets also cost a lot to repair so people don't tend to play them after the initial free repairs are up.

I've taken rank 3 and 4 planes into matches against rank 6-11+ planes and shot them down.

Constantly facing way higher tier planes which have incredible advantages and I struggling to kill them despite pouring thousands of rounds into them. So Been reduced to playing bombers which isnt that fun.
Like I said, matchmaking can be pretty bad ATM but most of the time it really isn't a problem. If you're finding it too hard in matches with rank 6+ planes then play with some lower tier ones and it is less likely to match you up with high tiers. Or fly planes that have cannons because MGs aren't as useful. The only planes that are definitely unbalanced are some of the Russian ones, and even then they can still be killed. I've spent the last couple days playing with someone with rank 10 and 11 planes and we haven't see an single jet.

I've played nearly 60 hours of War Thunder have seen a grand total of FOUR jets in battle. All of them late at night when there are a lot fewer people playing so matchmaking gets desperate, and three of them when someone in my squad is flying rank 9-11 planes.

Guess what time is prime playing time in Australia? Probably that late night in Canada where the match maker gets as you say " desperate ". General wait 5+ mins for a match to start so thats probably a bad sign. :lol:

Did you not get the Free Beta premium bomber ?

Ah Australia yeah, but still I have played it until 3 AM and it hasn't been too bad.

Did you not get the Free Beta premium bomber ?

I wasn't in the closed beta and its $19.99 for the Typhoon starter pack with 2 weeks of Premium and 2000 Eagles.

New patch incoming, looks like they are working on improving the "To Battle" interface, hopefully this means better match making options!

Link to video.

EDIT: I found an unofficial change list in a comment:
Spoiler :
This is not official translation, just my quick one:
New login/hangar/loading screen
Improved DM: added > 10 new damage parts and tuned old ones.
Implemented different ammunition types
New aircraft: G5N, G8N, B-25, Do.217, Meteor Mk. 8 and new modifications for Tu-2. Total number should be around 14
New economy model

Interface:
New option for showing fuel amount in HUD
You can see full flight book of any pilot
In tech trees you can choose for which game mode you want to see repair costs (AB, HB, FRB)
Single message, instead of two separate ones for XP and Lions rewards
Fixed nonlinearity in axes setup
Fixed incorrect message, when trying to feather your prop
Big UI messages in FRB are gone, only small ones is displayed.
Option to enable indicators in replays
Chosen aircraft now shows for squad members in HB and FRB in tooltip
Added description for achivements in log
Added progress bars in achivements UI
All achievements now have proper conditions to get them
HUD is shown in bomb tracking camera
Changed medals display in profile
Fixed display of achievements that has several stages, in debriefing
Added "no flaps" on aicraft which had no flaps, when trying to operate them

Graphics:
Several aircraft now have radiator animated. More to come.
Improved airbrake animation
Several aircraft now have visual model for broken prop
Improved effects on ground/tank hit
Added ricochets for ground
Shadow for pilots and troops implemented
Added more realistic camera effects on shooting
Fixed artefacts in reflection
Improved rendering of far away land in cloudy weather
Fixed pilot lighting
Fixed improper collision with barrage baloons
Changed airfields in many missions
Fixes in visual models of: Me.262, Ju.88, Me.410, A5M, A6M3, P-26,
Fixed visual model of british torpedo

Sounds:
Improved explosion effects
Improved engine stop effect
Improved bullet hit effect
Added sound for flaps and airbrakes
Added sound for auto-rotating prop
Improved sound of cannons and machine guns

Game:
Implemented realistic bombing. Now aircraft have limits to angles at which they can bomb
Added aerobatic smoke
Changes in FMs of La-5, La-7, Wirraway, Tempest, TBF-1c, SM.79, Me.410, Ki-49, Ju-87B, Ju-87D, Ju-87G, F1M2, D3A1, Boomerang, Beufighter, Me.262, Me.163
Added a button for separate engine control
Changed airfield kill reward: now reward is given for airfield damage as well, not only for kill
Fix for not rewarding for kill of aircraft which have been shot down and repaired after that
Improved gunner behaviour in HB and FRB (they behave more naturally there)
Fixed a bug, when camera will track dead aircraft
Changed a minimum limit for fuel: 20 minutes and not less than 30%
Squad leader will not be able to start game, when somebody in his squad have broken aircraft
Fixes in bot behaviour: they should land and takeoff properly
New player now need to finish tutorial for takeoff/landing in order to play in HB/FRB
Fixed a bug, when friendly bot kill didn't have any penalty
Added bombs for P-26
Changed an order to gain certain bomb pilons on several aircraft
Added login rewards

Other:
Added auto-support of GameTrix tracking device
Reduced client size
Optimized load time in hangar
Optimized load time in mission
Fixed a bug with aircraft switch in first mission in US campaign
Fixed a bug with sale icon on aircraft modification group
Fixed a typhoon, which was able to gain 700 km/h at SL with prop pitch
Removed 127mm cannons from cargo ships

I don't know, but I did play on a North American server today as I had a ping of 80-89 for the match. I have server selection set to All (other choices are currently EU and RU). I noticed absolutely no difference having 100+ less ping though.

You just gotta know how to twist and turn! That's how I got the Great Equalizer or something achievement. Took down a Meteor with my F2A Buffalo. :D Of course I crashed afterwards thought since I took it down with my wing. Jet fighters get complacent and overly confidence when dealing with props.

Top Bottom