Banished - town building colonization survival game

We promise to not post a ton of screenshots of our towns in this thread to make you jealous, PG.

Spoiler :
All right everybody, let's post them in other threads so he sees them constantly when they get reported as derails!

And name them all Petergrimesville

:lol: that would be brilliantly devious. But to be honest I'd probably enjoy seeing the screen shots and play throughs. :blush:

At the very least I'll be interested to read some articles about various play strategies.

But if they don't kill them in videogames, they'll kill them on the streets in real life! Videogames save people!

But seriously, I agree with you. Like I said earlier in the thread, the absence of military is a selling point for me. :(

Yeah, I'm glad the designer kept his focus on a good city-builder and didn't cave to the pressure up front, I can only hope he keeps that focus moving forwards.

I haven't pre-ordered it but I can't wait to see the first screenshots and whatnot be posted for this game. :D

I'll be refreshing this page and the game's subreddit page throughout the day to be sure.

Only about 1.5-2.5 hours left until release. :yeah:

It's out, $20 though. I'll wait for a sale, too much for an indie game for me.

Suit yourself, brah!

I would say I'm DL'ing now, but I still got a couple hours of work left.

Suit yourself, brah!

I would say I'm DL'ing now, but I still got a couple hours of work left.

I feel your pain, immensely. Been dying to get my hands on this game.

My first group of intrepid settlers embark on their journey to certain doom

Purchased through Steam, but I have yet to partition my iMac HDD and install windows :-/

Maybe in a few days. Until then, I'll be holding weekly contests for settlements named in my honor.

1st challenge: the largest stock of (firewood? Logs? Timber?) I Don't know the resources here.

EDIT: no restrictions on difficulty level. We are all virgins here.

But whoever screenshots the largest stock of that woody necessity in Spring 5 will get a custom little cutting board made by me. Nothing fancy, so don't kill yourselves ;)

Deadline to post screenshots in this thread is 7 * 24 hours from this post. You can submit multiple screenshots, I'll mail off a cutting board to the poster with the highest reserves.

If this challenge is set up stupidly, I'll adjust it based on feedback from people who actually have played the game. But someone is getting a little cutting board no matter what :trophy:

Logs are the raw resource and used for building stuff, but you can convert it to firewood so your citizens can use it to heat their homes. You might also want to specify a difficulty level because each level starts out with a different number of people.

I'll see if I can compete in this challenge over the weekend. :)

Well, my newest town collapsed after 28 years after a raging fire destroyed a dozen buildings, including a few stone houses and the brand new townhall.

Managed to rebuild most of them before the winter, but the required labor force prevented me from getting the whole harvest in before winter - which lead to starvation of half of my pops next year.

Overall I like the game. Despite the lack of external pressure, there is a lot of things to do. You have to keep an eye on your pop, your stockpile, you have to react to changes in demographics and balance the workforce.

It gets quite tricky once the natural stone ressources are depleted - you can build quarries and mines that more or less provide infinite ressources, but the production ratio is abyssmal. 5 uneducated stonecutters produced 12 stone per season (educated ones seem to double production ratio), which is barely enough to build a single house. Not to speak of large projects like townhalls or churches that take 100+ stone to complete...

Oh, and as a hint for new players:
Build some extra houses. You can shelter the initial families with 4-5 buildings, but in that case the amount of children is quite small - and once the first people die, you will end up with a terrible workforce shortage.

Gatherers seem to be very efficent, especially for the early game. They provide a lot of different food types and actually produce as much (or even more?) than fields. They need a forest, though, so it is a good idea to combine them with a forestry.

Here is Freedonia, as it currently sits on the edge of total collapse without adequate food or firewood.

The main town site
Spoiler :

The farming community across the river, where we are growing squash, corn, and walnuts.
Spoiler :

Main problem is that I probably expanded a bit to fast in setting up the farms on the east side of the river. I'm clear cutting all of the trees to the south of the main town that were planted by a forester that I have recently relocated to the west, and hopefully a new gatherer's hut can help replenish the food stocks.

Welcome to beautiful Newland! Where everything was going fine and dandy until a baby-boom of fat kids ate all the food. And then all the firewood when the food ran out. Full blown starvation ensued!

Spoiler :

It is quite a pretty looking town though, I'll have to admit. Even though its dying a slow and horrible death.

Spoiler :

Well, I've run into a pickle. After a couple abortive starts, the fine town of Ashdown had reached about 75 people and was growing fast. My food and firewood supplies were more than sufficient, but I was just starting to face a tool shortage as my starting blacksmith could not keep up with demand (probably because he kept running out of iron :(). And then a tornado ripped through, fortunately missing the downtown area but obliterating a significant portion of my forest RGOs:

Spoiler :

I'm estimating around 30 dead, and my tiny graveyard could not handle all the bodies.

I'm liking the look of your towns, although sadly I'm going to need more time to get caught up to Newland. I wanted to keep a couple of trees in my downtown area, but they fell naturally over the last couple years so now I just have odd gaps. So I started putting some pecan trees in the downtown area so that it looks nice.

Got a lot of work to do before then, though.

Attachments

• Ashdown - First Tornado Damage.jpg
    Ashdown - First Tornado Damage.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 8,275
  • Ashdown - Downtown.jpg
    Ashdown - Downtown.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 8,150
...I just noticed that chickens are an amzing source of food.
I currently have a fully stocked pasture with 66 chicken and 2 workers producing 800 eggs and 150 chicken per season. That is pretty good compared to my potatoe fields!

Uh oh. Sounds like there's probably an impending... CHICKEN NERF! If the creator actually does balance patching and hears about this, at least.

Top Bottom