Banished - town building colonization survival game

Uh oh. Sounds like there's probably an impending... CHICKEN NERF! If the creator actually does balance patching and hears about this, at least.

Patch Notes

-Increased chance of animal-borne diseases of striking large chicken stocks
-Increased rate of chicken-to-human transmission of diseases
-Introduced a combat system to combat avian flu

Uh oh. Sounds like there's probably an impending... CHICKEN NERF! If the creator actually does balance patching and hears about this, at least.
They are not really "OP", just good.

Overall I feel that farming is quite dangerous (early snow in autumn just killed half my crops and caused the death of 40 of my 170 villagers).
...I guess it's better to stick to gatherers as long as you can. D:

I haven't played it, but from previews and all, it seems exciting, except that it seems a bit too brutal for my liking, and maybe a bit too gray and brown visually.

I'm aware the brutality is probably by design, I just have to figure out if I'll actually enjoy the stress of it and if this level of shortages and all is for me.

Will post some pictures once I get home, but the glorious town of New Helgen has been thriving after starting only with a wagon! Hard/Mild/Valleys difficulty, so not too tough of a game. Here's the highlights:

Started with a population of 14ish.

In Winter of Year 2, half of the population froze to death from a lack of firewood.

Despite being down to 6 people in Year 3, I managed to bring things back from the brink to success, and as of Year 40, New Helgen has a population of 183 people, massive stockpiles of all needed goods (including a massive surplus of food, half of my crops don't even get brought in due to the 30k food limit I set). The town itself has had some problems over the years, and from years 30-35, it had a few food shortages, but thankfully no starvation. Population growth continues steady and reliably, with all of my citizens being educated in one of New Helgen's two schools.

At this point, I've actually somewhat run out of stuff for my new laborers to do. There's a lot of food, so no need for more farmers. Have more than enough Iron and Stone, so the quarry and mine are quiet. Probably going to wind up opening another tavern for more ale production.

My verdict: Freaking awesome game, and here's why:

1. No arbitrary restrictions on what buildings you can build and where.
2. Pop pathfinding and activity is incredibly well balanced and realistic for this sort of game.
3. I've yet to encounter a single bug in the game itself.

Well, here is a list of GAGA's hints for newly banished players:

(1) Do not bother with farming during the first years:
Farming provides less food per worker than gatherers and fishers (but more food per space, which makes it good later on). In addition it only generates yields once per year (autumn), so you can run into starvation issues between harvests. Lastely, farming is VERY dependened on weather and a bad harvest (e.g. caused by early snow during autumn) will absolutely ruin your day.

(2) Babysteps:
Build your town step-by-step. Start with a few wooden houses (4-5 will suffice) and then continue to build the other essential buildings. During year one you should build 1-2 gatherers, a fishery (if you have a good spot), a hunter, a herbalist, a forestry and a woodcutter. During year two you should build a forge and a tailor. Once all the basic buildings are running, you should slowly start to build more houses to allow your population to expand. Be careful, though: each house supports one family and allows the first male owner to propagate - building too many houses will result in a horde of children that can cause starvation. Babysteps. Slowly.

(3) Build extra stockpiles, barns and houses outside of the town:
By building a house near a workplace, you can significantly improve productivity. A citizen will fetch food at home or in a barn (and at low food levels, houses have a higher chance to be stocked with food than barns) and warm themselves if it is cold outside. Adding more stockpiles and barns will shorten the path to drop off gathered items. Quite helpful if you order your workers to remove ressources at an remote part of the map. Later on you can also get a market, a building that acts as centralized storage to distribute goods to your pops - they employ vendors that move around with a wheelbarrow and collect goods from other stockpiles and barns.

(4) Dirt roads will do:
During the early game, you shouldn't build any roads at all (since it takes quite some time for your limited workforce to create the tiles). Later on you should put down dirt roads to speed up your citizens - they require no ressources aside from worker time. Stone roads are quite good on your main routes, but you should only build them once you have all other important buildings, since they cost 1 stone per tile.

(5) Building synergies:
Gatherers, Herbalists and Hunters benefit from forest trees (ressources spawn below them). Since the game does not distinguish between ancient forests and newly planet ones, you can use a forestry to plant more trees and increase density above natural levels.

(6) Trade is good:
Trading is the only way to obtain seeds and cattle. It also gives you the opportunity to buy ressources. So build a trading post once you have your basic economy running. Firewood (4 trade value per unit), Tools (8 TV/unit), Hides (10 TV/u) and Hide Coats (15 TV/u) are great early game commodities. Later on you might want to switch to Warm Coats (20 TV per unit). Another interesting trading good is Coal (6 TV/u), which seems to be far more profitable than Steel Tools (8 TV/u, requires 1 iron + 1 coal + 1 log to manufacture). As far as I can tell, basic food has no trade value, while meat can be sold for 3 TV/u.

(7) Build smart to mitigate disasters:
If you have activated the "disaster" option, they will strike sooner or later. Some are annoying, some are deadly, but their impact can usually be reduced by "building smart". In general, you should always have some extra buildings of each type. This way you can use them if you end up with a certain good shortage or if others are destroyed.

Disasters I experienced so far and what to do against them:
Fire: Can spread to other buildings and devestate your town. Countermeasures: Leave open spaces between your buildings, construct enough wells to supply water.
Infestation: Will kill crops or livestocks over time, can spread to adjected fields/pastures. Countermeasures: Leave gaps between fields/pastures. Clear the infected area from crops/livestock asap. Build multiple pastures for each type of livestock in different areas of the map so you have a reserve. Have some excess food buildings (Gatherers/Fisheries) to compensate for your food loss.
Tornado: Will destroy any building in its path, kills all nearby citizens. Countermeasures: Not much. All you can do is trying to limit the impact of the destruction. Spread out your important buildings and storage spaces instead of clustering them in one location. Create a ressource removal task in a remote area and assign all threatened citizen to it to make them move away from the danger.
Disease: Will kill your citizens. Countermeasures: Avoid trading, build a hospital to cure ill pops.
Early Winter: Not a disaster per-se, but nevertheless a devestating event (and even possible without activated disasters). It is caused by snowfall during autumn that destroys your harvest before it can be brought in. Countermeasures: Assign more farmers to save as much food as possible. Produce and store enough to have a reserve. Have some extra food buildings (Gatherer/Fishery) ready to mitigate the food loss.

(8) Use an adequate size for farms and pastures:
Don't use max sized farm plots. They require significantly more farmers to be worked. A 10x10 sized farm plot can be managed by a single farmer if it is near his home & has barn nearby. Assigning 2 farmers is a much safer bet, though, and will make sure that the harvest is collected in time.

(9) Tools are a must-have:
Workers without tools are extremely ineffective. If you ever run out of tools make sure to build another blacksmith asap! Lack of tools will lead to mass starvation, making it even harder for you to aquire tools. If you manage to run out of tools before building your first blacksmith you might as well restart the game - it is that bad.

(10) Be careful with education:
While educated workers a significantly more effective, it takes a long time before they will actually work. Be sure to have ample ressource stockpiles when building your first school - the delay from education will result in a significant short-term inefficiency for your economy by having a lot more useless mouths to feed. If you should find yourself in trouble you can unassign the teacher to abort the education of the students and turning them into adults immediately. At the same note, be careful to always have some unassigned citizens: If you teacher dies and you don't have a free worker to take his/her place, all students will immediately abort their education.

(11) Manage your pops during a crisis:
Reassign your workers if you should suffer from a lot of dead pops (due to starvation, hypothermia or another disaster). You will usually end up with a shortage for your workforce AND a significant number of children, a quite deadly combiantion. Reduce the number of Stonecutters, Miners and Foresters and focus on keeping your food supplies up. Gather on-map ressources if you quickly need to fill your stockpile. Reduce all other industries to bare-minimum employment. Your pops can actually survive a winter without having enough firewood, but lack of food is a lot more deadly.

(12) Food producing buildings 101:
Gatherer: Provides most output per worker and offers 4 different food types, but only low-value plants. Requires trees. Great for early game. Gatherers may occasionally die to poisonous berries.
Hunter: Provides decent food output per worker. Does also create hides, which are needed to make coats or can be sold for quite a profit. Requires deer, which seems to like forested areas. Production can fluctuate depending on how many deers enter the area of operation. Hunters can occasionally die to wild boars.
Fisher: Provides decent output per worker, but only 1 food type. Food-per-worker is lower than hunter, but fisheries can be build close to the settlement, which allows results in short ways to deliever the goods. Requires water, seems to perform better if more water is inside the area of operation. Fishers may occasionally drown.
Farm: Provides okay output per worker. Offers only 1 type of food per farm plot, but you can choose between a wide variety of goods after you have aquired the seeds via trade. While farm output is usually smaller than other food producing buildings, they provide the most food-per-space, making them ideal to support large settlements. Unlike other food producing buildings they provide food once per year (autumn) and can be affected by weather, so output can fluctuate heavily. Farmers have nothing to do during winter and will act as laborers during this season. Farms will ocassionally suffer from infestation.
Pasture: Provides okay output per workers. Offers only 1 type of food per pasture, but you can select the type of livestock you want to use. In addition, all animals provide extra goods: eggs (chicken), wool (sheep), leather (cattle). They are also a decent "backup supply", since you can slaughter the animals in times of need. Pastures will ocassionally suffer from infestation.
Orchards: Provides low output per worker. Offers only 1 type of food per orchard, but you can choose between a wide variety of goods after you have aquired the seeds via trade. Most fruits can be used to make ale. Trees need time to grow, so orchards will require several years before they actually produce yields. In return, trees provide higher food output as they grow older. They have to be replaced after some time, though. Overall output seems to be lowest of all food buildings, however they probably need the least time to be managed by the workers. In theory it should be enough to assign a few people during harvest season to bring in the food, so orchards might be an ideal back-up source for times of need. Just plant a few of them and assign a single worker to keep them alive until you need them. Just make sure to keep your them out of range from any forestries...

I haven't played it, but from previews and all, it seems exciting, except that it seems a bit too brutal for my liking, and maybe a bit too gray and brown visually.

I'm aware the brutality is probably by design, I just have to figure out if I'll actually enjoy the stress of it and if this level of shortages and all is for me.

Both seem to be by design--the art style is meant to be a bit more realistic and your antagonist in the game isn't a bunch of bandits or some big bad evil guy but rather surviving against nature.

We are still figuring out how to play so we are probably doing things inefficiently too. I'm fortunate to not have run into a food or firewood shortage, although I suspect I started building stone houses too early because I was starting to run into severe stone and iron shortages as the tornado hit.

My verdict: Freaking awesome game, and here's why:

1. No arbitrary restrictions on what buildings you can build and where.
2. Pop pathfinding and activity is incredibly well balanced and realistic for this sort of game.
3. I've yet to encounter a single bug in the game itself.

Amen. It has the pathfinding required in prior resource-management/city-builder hybrids like Caesar III and it gives you several routes to build your town. I could easily imagine relying less on fish and more on my gatherers if I had a different start.

I think there might be some balancing issues later on (gathering seems really, really strong, for example, maybe the chickens should produce a little less), but overall you can tell the thing was polished before release.

@GAGA: I have some disagreements/statements on your proposed strategies and ideas based on my own game at this point. Of course, seeing as we're early into the game's release, I'd say any strategy or theory is still up in the air at this point:

1. I agree with you here, and would like to take my agreement to the next step. The best way to learn/play Banished is on Hard difficulty for this very reason. Playing on Hard difficulty makes it impossible to get crops (which are far more of a hindrance than a blessing) until you are well developed. Easy and Medium difficulties make it far too easy to lose focus and neglect better food producing industries.

2. I mostly agree with this, but to be fair, a Tailor can actually wait until year 4 or 5, if you have plenty of firewood.

3. A Market should be a top priority, despite the high cost for production of said market. Simply put, the advantages of the market are immense when it comes to developing a town center, and it has space and capacity that storage barns simply don't. I'd personally recommend forgoing any more than a single barn before you get a Market up.

4. Agree completely.

5. Also agree completely, I'd say the Forester is the most powerful building you can have up and running in the early game.

6. Based on my playthrough at this point, the two items with the best return on investment are Iron Tools and Hide Coats. The latter are particularly effective if you've managed to obtain sheep, which allows you to produce warm coats at home, while using the leather that you're not using to be made into Hide Coats and shipped abroad. The same process could be used with Iron Tools, having one blacksmith making Steel Tools for domestic consumption, and the other making Iron Tools for export.

7. Just a few additions here, you're right, there is no defense against an angry tornado. If one comes to your village, all is possibly lost, though you can save at least some lives by spreading things out. Fires are more questionable, as I've seen some let's plays and other stories wherein fires spread even with profuse amounts of wells and rivers around. I recently had a minor fire which burned down a few houses, despite them being located next to both a major river and a well. I think further study is needed on fire (fire=hot?). Most importantly, however, when it comes to infestation of crops and livestock, make sure that your crops are rotated, my recommendation is changing fields once every 2-3 years.

8. Your assessment may be right in the early game, but I'm not convinced that it's the way to go once you have a larger population. What sort of yields does a 10x10 get a year?

9. I disagree that it's a game restart if you can't get the blacksmith up. If you've managed to get a couple of houses, storage barn, and 1-2 gatherers, you ought to be able to buy enough time to get a smith up, even at the slow pace the builders go without tools. I had that issue in New Helgen, but managed to bull through the toolless time, and get production going rather quickly.

10. Agreed, and I should also note that students still breed if they set up a family in a new house (in one case, with their teacher in my game!).

11. No argument on this one.

12. I'd say the Herbalist/Forester/Gatherer/Hunting combo is actually one hell of a combo no matter where you are chronologically. I'd say that without a doubt, the Gatherer will provide the most diverse and largest amounts of food you can get, especially when backed by a Hunting Lodge too.

I'm a total convert to the forester-gatherer-hunter combo--you can see where that was in my destroyed town above. I was a food and firewood producing machine.

What I want to know is, what is the ratio between the number of tiles in a farm/orchard and the number of farmers required to work it? I think the max is 4 farmers on a 15x15 field, which is an area of 225. My pecan orchard only requires one farmer and I think it is a 6x9 plot, for an area 54. Where are the cutoffs for 1, 2, 3, and 4 farmers and is that function linear with respect to field area?

What I want to know is, what is the ratio between the number of tiles in a farm/orchard and the number of farmers required to work it? I think the max is 4 farmers on a 15x15 field, which is an area of 225. My pecan orchard only requires one farmer and I think it is a 6x9 plot, for an area 54. Where are the cutoffs for 1, 2, 3, and 4 farmers and is that function linear with respect to field area?

I think it strongly depends on the infrastructure.
Atm I am using 10x10 farm plots - and if they are close to a barn, a single farmer can actually bring in most or even all of the harvest. Unless they need something during harvest time, then the food will all be spoiled. But you can reduce that danger by building houses for them nearby. Later I assign 2 farmers per 10x10 plot and that works quite nicely.

No idea about other sized, though.

So, assuming the barn and houses are close to the farm (within 3 spaces of the field, removing that variable for the moment), does your farmer clear about 80-90% of the field on average? That would imply 1 farmer could harvest 80-90 spaces' worth of crops.

So, assuming the barn and houses are close to the farm (within 3 spaces of the field, removing that variable for the moment), does your farmer clear about 80-90% of the field on average? That would imply 1 farmer could harvest 80-90 spaces' worth of crops.
Tbh I dunno. However, we should keep in mind that education is probably influencing the whole thing. As it is, I have barely any uneducated pops left - and I am pretty sure that uneducated farmers are a lot less efficient.

And:
A fire just blasted half of my city, three dozens of buildings destroyed...
...and rebuild within 2 years, but then the game crashed. ARGGGG!!

Time to restart on a big map.
:D

edit: If anyone is interested, HERE is the last save from my town.
Nothing special, but for the 4th try I'd say it turned out okay.

Since the game does not distinguish between ancient forests and newly planet ones, you can use a forestry to plant more trees and increase density above natural levels.
I'm sure Luke mentioned somewhere that certain herbs only grow in old-growth forests. Might've been changed prior to release though...

I'm poking around on Reddit threads to see if there is any quantification of farming. I feel like we have a good grasp on how to maximize yields for the forest stuff but we don't have a good grasp on how to efficiently size crop fields and orchards.

Heh, it was the only flat place close to houses and not where I wanted my core city to be. :)

I don't like the permanent destructive nature of quarries--I wish you could fill them with dirt or turn them into lakes when you were finished, then I would have no problem putting one or two downtown and using it later as a pool. I'll be making a satellite mining and quarry town soon enough, but I gotta rebuild my food infrastructure first.

Freedonia in the summer of year 19. Still yet to face any major disasters. I did have an outbreak of scarlet fever a few years back, but only lost 3 people to it. I have finally fixed my firewood problem, but now my food is starting to run out again. It was up to almost 10,000 before suddenly dropping again. I blame the children.

Spoiler :

Main town site. Not much expansion has been done here, mostly just expanded south from the fishing dock that was there previously.

The farming community on the other side of the river. In addition to the corn, squash, and walnuts from previously, I am now also growing potatoes and peppers, and have acquired cows. My mining operations are located on the southern end of town.

Heh, it was the only flat place close to houses and not where I wanted my core city to be. :)

I don't like the permanent destructive nature of quarries--I wish you could fill them with dirt or turn them into lakes when you were finished, then I would have no problem putting one or two downtown and using it later as a pool. I'll be making a satellite mining and quarry town soon enough, but I gotta rebuild my food infrastructure first.

More terraforming options would be sweet.

After playing some more, I come to the conclusion that Gatherers are pretty OP, especially when combined with a forestry. A seasonal yield of up to 3k food with 4 workers is a tad bit much, even with their forest requirement. :crazyeye:

I am going to go ahead and guess that this is the point at which my town falls apart completely.

Spoiler :

Behold New Helgen, which has only recently gained a major expansion with new church and market. It's a lot of screenies, but I'm quite proud of this town, which survived a nearly catastrophic lack of firewood in Year 2 to greatly prosper. Also, closeups have been included to show off the pretty darn awesome visuals of the game.

On another note, there should totally be a succession game done for Banished. Would be pretty fun I think.

Top Bottom