Steam Holiday Auction

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
http://steamcommunity.com/auction

tl;dr you can convert backgrounds, emoticons, cards, etc into gems and use these gems to bid on games.

However, the bids are already in the tens or even hundreds of thousands (HOW!?) so we can already all give up any hope of bidding let alone winning. On the plus side, in a couple of weeks during the sake the prices should have risen a lot so it will probably work out better to sell the cards and stuff on the market. (Maybe, hopefully). I'm an idiot, this is only going from the 15th to 18th.

Seems like Valve's plan to try and clear out all those really low priced items on the market. Just like how the Summer Sale was to clear out excess amounts of cards. After the sale though you can use your left over gems to create booster packs... but who knows what kind of return you'll get on that (probably not a good one).

EDIT: A sack of 1000 gems is already down to 3 cents on the marketplace... so maybe card and junk prices won't increase much, we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Some info on bidding:

Your bid is #4 of 11 bids (?)
Your current bid: 10 Gems
(10 Gems remaining)

So it may be worth going through for the really obscure games. Although I don't know how many copies are given out for each auction, as games all seem to have 100 copies total.

My Steam cards have not been selling, hopefully with the frenzy and price rises should be able to clear out my inventory. I have farmed like hundreds of cards

I also made unwise investment in CSGO foil stickers.
Should have offloaded them when the market spiked at the end of the sale. Now will have to wait for a long time and hope prices go up again.

I had several low priced items sell off quickly, cards might be next if thy start running low on gems... not really sure how it will go though. Cards aren't worth many gems though, my most "expensive" card is one from March of Eagles for 32 gems.

EDIT: Booster creator is up.
http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/boostercreator/

Booster packs cost a certain amount of gems, depending on the game. No idea how they determined the prices. Considering it is 3 cents for 100 gems right now though, and many of these packs are ~500-600 gems there may be some profit to be had but only if anyone actually buys cards.

You can buy and sell gems ?

To bad Iam at work right now, wouldnt mind making a decent amount of steam wallet by playing the market for fun. I suspected a lot of people crafted badges had a ton of crappy items, emotes, wallpapers and what not they could not get rid off, including rares and uncommon junk.

Cheapest stuff is 3 cents, and will at best get you 100 gems, if not way less. No point in buying stuff to make gems with, when gems are 1000 gems for 3 cents.

Auctions will be every 45 minutes until the last one ends on the 18th.

It's gone, by the way. No idea when its going to come back.

I was wondering why suddenly my backgrounds and rubbish emoticons that werent selling for months were sold in one day

These events are getting increasingly complicated. And as usual, there's almost no way you can casually use it and come up on top. You have to delve way too much into it, because people are insane.
Yeah, it's funny. I'll spend a hundred dollars on gems so I can get a $20 game for free!

I was wondering why suddenly my backgrounds and rubbish emoticons that werent selling for months were sold in one day

Yeah I kind of hope they don't refund the four of those I sold. Glad to be finally rid of them.

The teleglitch one I had didn't sell though, no surprise that game was bleh. I converted it into a grand total of 10 gems.

A market cant function if it cant take advantage from idiots

And US government bailouts for when the entire thing implodes, again ...... wait

Iam guessing that steam is going to do a search through peoples inventory and anyone with large amount of gems is going to get a nice ban for xmas.

How to earn gems by AFKing playing steam games ?
Also crafting gems into booster is gone ?

D: Guess I missed out

Look at this guy.

Saw a game from my wishlist that was only 500 gems, so dismantled some stuff. But now its 5000...

What happens when you pack the gems into a sack? Can you sell them?

No they disabled selling them, since the duplication bug was listen all your sacks (heh heh) on the marketplace and then buying a card or doing something with a card in your inventory, and it would duplicate all the sacks you had on the marketplace in your inventory again.

I don't know how that got through Q&A, maybe they didn't do any.

It seems th prices are driven up artificially a lot. I went for a game that only had 102 bids, and was valued at 7100 gems. So I wnt, "what the hell, nothing to lose", and put in my 2200. Apparently my bid is....3rd.

Top Bottom