Why do workers JUST STOP WORKING?

When I am just beginning a new turn, the unit in the left-hand lower box is often a worker. It is easy to assume that this unit needs my attention. However, looking at the movement command icons, I see the unit is still automated: it doesn't need my attention at all. The display is just what I would normally get when clicking on any automated unit.

So, when this happens (and it happens much more frequently now), I just move to a unit that needs my commands. So, in my games, the question is not why are the workers stopping their work, the question is why am I seeing this display which is not necessary.

Some of you guys are hilarious, you probably play G&K and have no idea what we are talking about. This is a very serious game changing bug for anyone that likes to play a wide game.

Some of you guys are hilarious, you probably play G&K and have no idea what we are talking about. This is a very serious game changing bug for anyone that likes to play a wide game.

To be fair, it may be annoying but it's not gamechanging. Just set the workers back to what they were doing; they don't lose any turns in completing their project from the interruption.

To be fair, it may be annoying but it's not gamechanging. Just set the workers back to what they were doing; they don't lose any turns in completing their project from the interruption.

Try playing marathon speed standard size map with 100 workers and 50% of them have to be told to work each turn. By the time I find a AI civ with my army which have been ploughing through the fog they are allready allied with unseen CSs, I conquer the AI, find the City state/states make peace and all should be well. But the only way to get my workers back to work is to conquer that/those neighbouring CS. Now if I have to conquer all those CSs before I would ordinarily plan to and this will have a huge affect on all sorts of game dynamics the most major of which would be happiness.
There is no point in you or anyone else telling me to play a different type of game, this is my prefered style of play and everything worked OK until after the fall patch.
By the way I play vanilla.

I can't stand having to order a worker to build every single turn when an enemy is nearby. If I want to move the worker then I WILL MOVE IT!

The game doesn't need to force me to issue a new command to the worker every single turn. It's super annoying.

I tell a worker to build a plantation. They start building. I come back a few turns later they're just standing there.

This is not an uncommon occurrence with whatever I have them build. (Except for roads. They always finish roads).

I've started going to the unit list and checking my workers every turn to make sure they aren't goofing off.

Frustrating.

to address your comment with an element of seriousness, I've been distracted by that lately too. in the case where my worker asks me for a directive after I've set them specifically to perform an action, I put a military unit on top of them. this way they only stop doing what they're doing if enemy is 1 tile away.

may turn out to be a pain with lots of workers mid-game, but at the start if I lose my only worker (other than barb-recoverable) I usually bail

What is true is the in our lifetimes, say the past 50 years, the stagnation of working class wages has been astronomical.

Take a walk through downtown Detroit sometime.

Fixed

Place a warrior on the workers tile. A guard (hm, perhaps slavemaster).

I swear I posted to this thread just a few minutes ago. Here it goes again.

I give an order to a worker and he goes to work. Then after several turns the game says he is done. And although the screen makes it look like the job is completed, when you look at the city view or just have the cursor over the tile the production has not changed. If you go to the alternative view it seems to be showing the improvement as in progress. So I time after time tell the lilttle fellows to go back to the task. If I am persistent it then sometime finishes what shou;d be a long task THAT VERY TURN. This only happens when I'm well into the game. And it doesn't happen with each and every worker every time I set a task. I see no consistent pattern although they seem to balk/quit less often on improving roads to railroads. It definately is not just happening when I'm at war or there is an enemy unit nearby as I see people are suggesting in these posts.

this is with a downloaded version of the game from steam and the game launches steam whenever I start the game. Don't know if that is relevant. Anyway, I've contacted them and they've given me various tasks to do to no effect. Used to play versions 1-3 back when you just bought a disk and played it off your hard drive. Never had any problems.

Sure was a great game until they improved it.

In my current multiplayer game, my Workers are acting strangely too. I automate them and at some point they start building roads. However, it seems that they never build a road on the hex closest to a city. In other words, you get a situation like this: (City A)*........*(City B) where * is the hex without a road. This happens for all of my cities so far.

Dybee, I suggest you post a screenshot here before and after your worker stops working the next time you notice this problem, with yield icons on. Much easier to figure out what's going on if you can actually see it.
Or even a savefile if possible.

In my current multiplayer game, my Workers are acting strangely too. I automate them and at some point they start building roads. However, it seems that they never build a road on the hex closest to a city. In other words, you get a situation like this: (City A)*........*(City B) where * is the hex without a road. This happens for all of my cities so far.
A long shot, but perhaps you are playing as Hiawatha and the workers are smart enough to notice the UA?

I hate this as well. Game changing may not be the appropriate word but it certainly does hurt my play when I end up with partially done improvements across my empire because the workers randomly stopped working 1 or 2 turns before something was done and I moved them thinking it was done. I'm thinking there is more to it than having enemies nearby as I can have my whole continent lit up(small continents map) and a worker in the middle of my empire will stop working. There are no barbs within sight and no AI units.

The type of improvement doesn't seem to matter: mines, plantations, roads, lumber mills, chopping forest, etc. I tend to notice when it's a trading post or farm but the others I do maybe half the time. It's beyond irritating.

I don't understand how people don't notice that the improvement isn't done yet. For me at least the workers only stop when I'm trying to end my turn. If the game doesn't let you end your turn and asks you to order your worker(s) to do something, you always know that they still need to keep working on that improvement.
Or do they actually stop mid turn for some you?

Though in this thread people are talking about at least two different issues so it's really hard to know what you mean without screenshots, video clips or saves.

I don't understand how people don't notice that the improvement isn't done yet. For me at least the workers only stop when I'm trying to end my turn. If the game doesn't let you end your turn and asks you to order your worker(s) to do something, you always know that they still need to keep working on that improvement.
Or do they actually stop mid turn for some you?

Though in this thread people are talking about at least two different issues so it's really hard to know what you mean without screenshots, video clips or saves.

Unfortunately they aren't at all consistent for me. Sometimes they stop when I'm going to end my turn and sometimes at the beginning(like as if a worker had completed something.) As for how I don't notice the improvement isn't done. That's a matter of me playing the game when I'm tired and having bad eyesight. :lol:

Top Bottom