Why do workers JUST STOP WORKING?

If the workers are actually stopping, play with the "Light Touch" MOD. It has an option to make workers ALWAYS work. You can also customize the automatic improvements (gold, production, etc) per city.

Beyond that, I think a lot of people are noticing the strange behavior of the game since a recent patch whereby, when coming back to your turn after the AI, the unit with focus will be one that is already in the middle of a task, but not stopped. If you just skip to the next unit, all is well. I think when the unit comes up with focus, people think it has stopped, when it actually hasn't.

$ .02

Place a warrior on the workers tile. A guard (hm, perhaps slavemaster).
I prefer a spare archer/CB, but yeah.

And for what it's worth, as annoying as the halting-worker effect is, I'd find it even more annoying to be fighting Alex in the north and then getting told that my worker had just been captured by barbs because it wasn't paying attention. If for some reason I've left the worker unguarded, the halting gives me a headsup, and then a turn or two to move the worker into the city for safety. But these days, especially in early game, I almost never leave a civilian (worker or settler) without a guard unit of some kind sitting on top of it, if even only a grudging scout.

A quick Googling also turns up a lot of chatter on Steam and 2K forums about random worker stoppage as a vanilla bug showing up since the November patch. I've never had it happen on a random basis like that, but I'm a G+K player.

I could be wrong, but you don't lose any production from the worker. Personally, I file this somewhere between "mildly annoying" (when the worker is guarded) to "very valuable" when they're not.

Firaxis QA here. Anyone have a Gods & Kings save of this bug? If you do, please send it my way, we're trying to fix this but we've never seen this in house.

Pglascoe[at]firaxis[dot]com

Thank you!

Firaxis QA here. Anyone have a Gods & Kings save of this bug? If you do, please send it my way, we're trying to fix this but we've never seen this in house.

Thank you!

Posting a reply here to note that the problem doesn't occur with Gods and Kings, only with the vanilla version of the game. I had the problem occur frequently with vanilla, then when a friend bought me the G&K expansion, the problem stopped happening. Have played dozens more games since then without it happening once, but my girlfriend (who just got a gift copy of the vanilla version) does still see the issue and is quite annoyed by it.

cheers,
Phil

Posting a reply here to note that the problem doesn't occur with Gods and Kings, only with the vanilla version of the game. I had the problem occur frequently with vanilla, then when a friend bought me the G&K expansion, the problem stopped happening. Have played dozens more games since then without it happening once, but my girlfriend (who just got a gift copy of the vanilla version) does still see the issue and is quite annoyed by it.

cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the reply, I'd like to verify this better with more responses like this. I believe I've been reading that people with G&K are getting this issue.

I don't have G&K yet (though I plan to get it and BNW). In vanilla, I'm having this issue where not only do the workers stop working when enemies show up, they even stop working when there are no enemies nearby.

As I understand it, what's happening is that if one of my worker units has stopped due to seeing a nearby enemy even just once, they will continue to stop their work every turn for the rest of the game, long after the danger has passed.

It gets so annoying that sometimes I just delete the afflicted workers and train new ones.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks for the reply, I'd like to verify this better with more responses like this. I believe I've been reading that people with G&K are getting this issue.

You might also do well reading the thread in the "Confirmed Bugs" forum for more info:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=479499

I was subscribed to it for a long time before I got G&K, looking for a response from the devs. I stopped reading it when I got G&K but the general consensus there seemed to be that it was a vanilla-only problem.

cheers,
Phil

For me, workers stopping work when there actually are enemies nearby is not the problem.

The real problem is when some of my workers stop work every turn even when there are no enemies nearby. That is what gets annoying very quickly, especially when a lot of workers are affected. I'm not sure what causes it, and I sometimes just delete the affected workers and make new ones.

This is the issue some other folks mentioned earlier in this thread, I think. It's in vanilla where this issue is happening, not sure if it's been fixed in G&K.

Place a warrior on the workers tile. A guard (hm, perhaps slavemaster).

It works, as soon as I move the military unit away, the worker stops working.
It's plain stupid, unjustified, if they can work automate, even with barbarians wondering close (many times my workers got captured because I didn't see them, the game didn't show me their movements until they are within the borders, and the workers kept working :hammer2:) they MUST keep working when given an order.

Even if there is no other unit arround, the worker stops :wallbash:

Thank you!

I have this problem in BNW, its very frustrating.

Usually it occurs after the worker clears a forest and then fails to start farming/mining. It does just randomly occur though when a worker will stop mining for no reason and I have to start it back up.

Will send save games next time it occurs

I've seen them stop mid-project if it is two-fold. For instance clear forest and build this building. After clearing they will stand there until they begin the next one but I've found if I ignore them they run their turn at the end of everyone else and actually do get back to work.

You try building a plantation for 100+ years without taking a break here or there.

Government mandated breaks!

This happens to me too, but early game usually, when i havent explored that much in, lets say, the east of my capital, so my workers just stop and i have no idea why until i send a warrior over there and see a barbarian archer in the forests, so annoying!

Top Bottom