Who was the most useless nation during WWII?

Who was the most useless nation during WWII

• France

Votes: 46 23.7%
  • Italy

Votes: 47 24.2%
  • China

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • Czechs

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Poland

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Beligum

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Switzerland

Votes: 20 10.3%
  • One of the countries from the British Empire

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 14.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Austria became part of Germany in 1938. I am sure many Austrians fought in the German Military.

Switzerland is an interesting case. In one sense no better or worse than any other neutral nation. At least they stuck with neutral instead of jumping in at the last second, or proving a liability to their side.

Originally posted by cataclysm

Do you happen to be an Australian?:eek: :eek: You seem to be the touchy type:p

That does it! I'm on my way to Canada to hit you over the head with a cricket bat :lol:

Originally posted by knowltok

Then perhaps you should try to use the History forum as an avenue to increase your knowledge instead of intentionally stirring up trouble.

Do you have a sense of humor? Oh wait, this is the history forum.... hmmm.... but it's host under a game forum.... hmmm.... internet..... hmm......:D
If you are so serious, why not give me a shout in my own thread?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7826
I don't care if you turn it into a big joke, I mean come on, this is the internet

Is it that the Canadian education system is not very good, or that they just haven't gotten to modern history by 5th grade? :)D :D :D ) <--This makes everything alright.

Amen, now there are some serious issues we need to be clear off:D Canadian education system? Bad? Relative to who? You come from American and dare to talk about educatoin system? :D
And oh, I guess since I'm in the 5th grade, and know less history than the "aged" ones.... Then how about your child? Maybe not, cause they didn't benefit form Canadian education system.......:D

I assure the Aussies on the board that those of us in America haven't forgotten.

Oh my god, very touching:crazyeyes

that's all, got to hide from Case..

PS: let's end this comedy cause this thread is going downhill because of us.

To the original topic, I remember that some countries in SA declared war on Germany but didn't do a thing.

Amen, now there are some serious issues we need to be clear off Canadian education system? Bad? Relative to who? You come from American and dare to talk about educatoin system? And oh, I guess since I'm in the 5th grade, and know less history than the "aged" ones.... Then how about your child? Maybe not, cause they didn't benefit form Canadian education system.......

Gee, now who's touchy? Actually, I was not cracking on the Canadian education system. I was cracking on you. If you'd like I can explain how, but as you may or may not know, the hummor is often lost if you have to explain it. As you say, this is the internet.

I still say Italy was the most useless (to the side to which they belonged throughout the greatest part of the war). Most of the neutrals in question stayed neutral because they wanted to help the axis, but were afraid of the allies, and so, even though Argentina did absolutely nothing for America (for instance) they did help base German U-boats. (I typed this really fast, so I hope I got that right, but the bell just rang...:( )

Gee, now who's touchy? Actually, I was not cracking on the Canadian education system. I was cracking on you. If you'd like I can explain how, but as you may or may not know, the hummor is often lost if you have to explain it. As you say, this is the internet.

I'm touchy this time, anyways, let's discuss education system somewhere else if you perfer further discussion;)

If you want to that is fine, but it may get boring quickly when you say that, "the American Education System sucks," and I say, "Preach on brother Cataclysm." Perhaps I can give you my own personal insights on how and why it sucks, but we probably won't have much to debate.

Originally posted by spycatcher34
I didnt even know the czechs were in the war.

But poland sucks real bad. Ok horses vs. armored tanks.:crazyeyes

if horses can beat armor in civ3 they can do it in real life too!!!!!

no, but seriously the neutral nations should be ashamed of them selfes

Originally posted by .:KNAS:.
if horses can beat armor in civ3 they can do it in real life too!!!!!

:lol:

no, but seriously the neutral nations should be ashamed of them selfes

Why? In most cases the Second World War wasn't their fight (eg South America) or had they entered the war they would have gotten thrashed and occupied (eg Sweden)

If you want to that is fine, but it may get boring quickly when you say that, "the American Education System sucks," and I say, "Preach on brother Cataclysm." Perhaps I can give you my own personal insights on how and why it sucks, but we probably won't have much to debate.

Let's just agree on that no education system is prefect;)

Let's just agree on that no education system is prefect

Agreed. Every education system has it own "holes" or something like that...

But still I think that only needless country in whole f***ing war was... well... so, only needless country was... *sight* I don't think that any of those country were needless. Let's just say that I happy to be Finnish:D:D!!!!

Don't see point in this conversation. I'll be leaving soon. After this coffee... --- During the peace negotiation
Only way to find the truth is to create it. --- Some fellow after finding this thing out

If you are so serious, why not give me a shout in my own thread?
I don't care if you turn it into a big joke, I mean come on, this is the internet
Yes it is, and this isn't your web site.

You are officially warned to never again encourage turning these boards into a "big joke", or the "joke" will be on you, in the form of a suspenion of posting privlages.

To the question at hand, several countries apply, but the most consistantly useless by far is Nationist China.

Chang hoarded the equipment given him to fight the communists (In a war he would lose badly), and those Chinese formations involved in fighting usually fought poorply against Japan.

The logistic strain of first the Burma road, and later flying the "Hump" were ultimatly not worth the considerable effort put forth by them.

The knocking of Italy is unjustifed, it's navy (destroyers and smaller craft) fought a spirted was vs Britain, as well as scoring a major sucess with commando scuba-men in Alexandria, severly damaging 2 British battleships.
It's land forces fought poorly, however, and it's airforce fought with inferior equipment for most of the war.

France also doesn't belong, France was never completly knocked out of WW II, and had a qaurter of a million men under arms at war's end.

The Axis minors were hopeless from the start, all fought poorly on the eastern front.

Of the west, Holland would be most useless, collasped in 5 days in 1940, it's underground was infiltrated by German couter-intelligence, and it's far eastern forces posed little difficulty to Japan.

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
To the question at hand, several countries apply, but the most consistantly useless by far is Nationist China.

Chang hoarded the equipment given him to fight the communists (In a war he would lose badly), and those Chinese formations involved in fighting usually fought poorply against Japan.

The logistic strain of first the Burma road, and later flying the "Hump" were ultimatly not worth the considerable effort put forth by them.
Depends on how you define 'useless'. The Chinese might have fought poorly against the Japs and more amongst themselves but they tied down millions of Japanese troops on the Chinese mainland, a point acknowledged by the Allies as well. So in that sense, they serve some useful purpose.

Also some Chinese divisions participated in driving the Japs out of Burma IIRC. Not sure if it's a successful operation. Note - Chiang had already lost most of his best (German-trained ;) ) troops in the initial Jap invasion and his economic stronghold in the Yangzi valley. At least he managed to hang on in the west.

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
Yes it is, and this isn't your web site.

You are officially warned to never again encourage turning these boards into a "big joke", or the "joke" will be on you, in the form of a suspenion of posting privlages.

Heh, ban me if you want to, this board has less value to me than you think it does.

While you are at it, why don't you remove the :D :p smily from the board? What purpose do they serve?

Did I spam? No. Some of my posts in THIS thread do have a lower value compare to the rest but was it aimed to disrupt the thread? By the way, in the end all who involved with my little jokes resolved with me (reread the thread if you don't believe that) quite well.

And to your question, did I ENCOURAGED others to turn MY thread into a big joke? NO, I said "I don't care if you turn it into a big joke", AKA: I do not mind/have a higher tolerance at people who try to soften up the atmosphere in a formal discussion, especially in a thread I pioneered. Did you came here to tell me otherwise?

If this is the last word you guys will heard from me, then so be it.
I'm used to how *some* American deal with things, big deal.....(Yep, I'm a Canadian:D )

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
Depends on how you define 'useless'. The Chinese might have fought poorly against the Japs and more amongst themselves but they tied down millions of Japanese troops on the Chinese mainland, a point acknowledged by the Allies as well. So in that sense, they serve some useful purpose.

Just a quick note, he said "Nationalist China", not just China, so he's pretty much right.

Define useless will be pretty hard. I learnt calculus this year and defining terms like that pretty much correspond to defining the limit of a function:D We can be as close as we want to the limit but can never reach it

Did I spam? No. Some of my posts in THIS thread do have a lower value compare to the rest but was it aimed to disrupt the thread? By the way, in the end all who involved with my little jokes resolved with me (reread the thread if you don't believe that) quite well.

Whether you are guilty of spamming will be something the mods pass judgement on but let's be clear why your "little jokes" were resolved with this Aussie. I didn't appreciate your pathetically ignorant post (humour?) about Australia's role in WW2 but once it became clear that you are an immature boy with no concept of anyones rights but your own I decided that further conversation with you was pointless - you however were not content to let the matter drop and continued your self centred spat with both knowltok and Case.

It will probably come as a harsh lesson for you (at some point in your life), that in this world you usually get what you give - it shouldn't come as any suprise that you have less value to this board than you think. :D :p

Back on topic - the idea that a nation was "useless" because of the part it did or didn't play in WW2 seems an absurd proposition to me - how do you define "useless"?

Edit: spelling
Edit: add smilies - they do come in handy :D :p

Originally posted by SkidiWili
I vote for the neutral countries. Big things like World War going on and they don't take sides.

Spain was one of those neutral countries that you mention, but it's pretty unfair to say Spain was useless in the WWII.

Just in case you don't know the spanish republic had to figth almost alone against the fascists (that were helped by Germany and Italy) in the spanish civil war, 1936-1939. Nor England, nor France, nor other country but Russia helped the spanish republic. So, the first really war against fascism was in Spain and England, France and all the other allies did ... NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom