Most useless wonder in Civ IV?

so in short the english culture INVENTED the internet ? ROFLMAO...

those acronyms are in english because english is the worldwide language of communication, and internet is the worldwide tool of communication. Period.

The internet is pretty useless. It should provide some sort of science/culture/commerce bonus.

Double post.

I agree the Internet's useless. The Kremlin's not far behind, and I agree also that the Space Elevator isn't particularly useful unless you're in a tight race with other civs to get the ship built and launched.

atog said:

those acronyms are in english because english is the worldwide language of communication, and internet is the worldwide tool of communication. Period.QUOTE]

Your argument seems to be saying that radio doesnt spread, say, Italian culture because Italian culture didnt invent it. But its certain that more people have been exposed to Puccini operas than would have been the case had there been no radio.

Who cares who 'invented' it. It certainly does spread culture. Everyone who has seen the Yatta video roll your eyes!

:mischief:

I'd give internet commerce, science, and culture bonuses.

(and btw, LOL is an american cultural phenomenon. I believe japanese use 'w' to denote the same thing? So if everyone started using 'w' instead of 'LOL', I would conclude that the internet has spread japanese culture)

The Kremlin is probably the worst wonder since it expires so soon after you discover it most of the time. It is the only wonder that I would say needs tweaking. But even it can have some uses if you use your imagination (set all research to zero for a little while, rush dozens of units).

onedreamer said:

those acronyms are in english because english is the worldwide language of communication, and internet is the worldwide tool of communication. Period.

Ridiculous! Everyone knows that Al Gore invented the Internet.

But seriously, the internet was born, so to speak, in the US (with ARPANET). It grew into a worldwide phenomenon. It wasnt until the late 80s that international connections were even created.

The WORLD WIDE WEB, which is different from the Internet (the web refers to the actual act of linking information, while the internet is the physical connection of computers) is the brain child of a Swiss scientist (if I remember correctly) who came up with URLs and HTML.

The whole thing was largely academic and military until 1995 (I think) when everything was privatized.

English is the worldwide tool of communication, as you put it, because of American hegemony during the last 50 years, which coincide with a huge boom in communications technologies. Therefore the spread of English culture, as you call it, is not due to English being the tool of communication, but because of the dominance of the United States in the world scene.

Back on topic : The Internet in the game sucks :cry:

Both the Internet and the Space Elevator saved my ass in a higher difficulty game. I was lagging behind technologically and in the space race (harder difficulty settings really are...) The internet instantly gave me all the remaining techs. I then used and engineer to hurry production on the space elevator. I won with most of the other civs having only 1 part left. It's only useless if you're playing on an easy difficulty setting where you're in the modern ages while everone else is still Rennaisance.

As for useless wonder, Kremlin FTW. Obsolete by the time you build it.

EarlyACE said:
Both the Internet and the Space Elevator saved my ass in a higher difficulty game. I was lagging behind technologically and in the space race (harder difficulty settings really are...) The internet instantly gave me all the remaining techs. I then used and engineer to hurry production on the space elevator. I won with most of the other civs having only 1 part left. It's only useless if you're playing on an easy difficulty setting where you're in the modern ages while everone else is still Rennaisance.

As for useless wonder, Kremlin FTW. Obsolete by the time you build it.

Actually, maybe you are right. This shows you that the Internet isnt completely useless, you should build it to deny someone the chance to win if you already have them beat! :crazyeye:

Top Bottom