[Guide] Resource Gathering (beta)

For what it's worth, here's one with some insane multipliers just to be extra-sure there's no rounding error at lower values, i.e. it's exactly the same, and not off by say 1%

All four houses with badly mspainted arrows are exactly 94 beakers.

We can conclude with a smaller margin of error that:
1) Trees, lakes and nearby workmates are worth exactly the same amount of bonus (I've seen people say trees are worth more than lakes, not true)
2) Scientists for some reason walk in an L shape?

(the house to the north is 86 and the house to southeast is 69 just in case someone wants to do the pathing/happiness maths with bigger numbers for smaller margin of error)

edit: augh why won't image appear
edit2: oh there we go

UGHHH. I proposed Price Control (+25% happiness -25% science) to see how it interacted. It got passed around the same time the era changed from +50% science to +25% Gold while I was away, so I don't have a concrete number of its effect on its own. However, the earlier 94-beaker with +245% bonus is now 81 with +170%.

If +25% happiness with +170% gave 81 beakers, I -think- I could safely extrapolate that Price Control alone without the era change would have netted 81 * (320/270) 96 beakers; where 320 comes from +245% = 345, -25 from civic.

Meaning if my maths was right, I have so many great scientists and such a ridiculous multiplier that a -25% science civic actually INCREASES my science. It sucks relying on an extrapolation instead of actual accumulated data though.
edit: Trickle income would go down though for a net loss. Only the Harvest value increases.

For what it's worth, here's one with some insane multipliers just to be extra-sure there's no rounding error at lower values, i.e. it's exactly the same, and not off by say 1%

All four houses with badly mspainted arrows are exactly 94 beakers.

We can conclude with a smaller margin of error that:
1) Trees, lakes and nearby workmates are worth exactly the same amount of bonus (I've seen people say trees are worth more than lakes, not true)
2) Scientists for some reason walk in an L shape?

(the house to the north is 86 and the house to southeast is 69 just in case someone wants to do the pathing/happiness maths with bigger numbers for smaller margin of error)

edit: augh why won't image appear
edit2: oh there we go

So, what seems important to me: Do you have a +1 happyness wonder? Are the houses with the arrows at +3 or +4 happyness. If +3, we could conclude that the routes are identical for all purposes. But that contradicts my experiences.

They're at +4, we have Hanging Gardens.

If you happen to lose the Hanging Gardens, I would like to see if there will be a difference between the two of them. This would support the hypothesis that +4 happyness nullifies both the 3,5 and the 4,0 work routes. May be a different story with +3 happyness.

I didn't have to lose hanging gardens; i just rebuilt them at another location with less forests/lakes. It's still the same.

I didn't have to lose hanging gardens; i just rebuilt them at another location with less forests/lakes. It's still the same.

Than it's probably got something to do with the village green/university upgrades doubling up and getting redundant. Im pretty sure i could muster an estatic farmer that gets different results with 3,5 vs. 4 work route.

Sigh. With all due respect, I believe you're wrong- multiple posts in the thread have already singled out Scientists as the odd one out here.

You're definitely going to get different results on a 3.5 vs 4 farmer, and most likely all the other jobs, for that matter. On the other hand I'm going to, when I can, build a lv1 village green and lv1 library/university and see if the L-shaped pathing still occurs then.

This one really dissapointed me. I expected both the 21 workers to reach 24, but it seems that sharing a forge pisses them of somewhat, even if they have separate iron fields (with road bonus).

EDIT: Then look what happens when I move the middle house.

The house with modest forge was at 21 all the time, even if I didn't show it in the first pic.

I want to know what am I doing wrong that I cant even reach a medal. I think its a question about strategy. In the beggining of the gane (classical era and earlier) is there a efficient tactic?
If I put my citizens to be farmers I become hammer and science starved. The same occurs if I get hammer (science and growth starved) or science (food and hammer starved).

How do you handle the science and hammer if you go food production?

I want to know what am I doing wrong that I cant even reach a medal. I think its a question about strategy. In the beggining of the gane (classical era and earlier) is there a efficient tactic?
If I put my citizens to be farmers I become hammer and science starved. The same occurs if I get hammer (science and growth starved) or science (food and hammer starved).

How do you handle the science and hammer if you go food production?

You can't eat the cake and still have it. Focus on one area and excell in it. That's my advice.

Build sawmill(s), workers and buy great builders. Then sell the production, ppl moslty always pay through their noses to get quick production at start. Take advantage of that, sell your prod and buy military units (and GPs) dirt cheap, then you wage war on them and take those precious wonders and technologies they have paid astronomical sums to get. And you? You end up with more cake than you can shake a stick at. :king:

I want to know how ppl is able to do a lot of money in the beggining of the game. I always get starved. If I go food, the food price gets too low that dont worthy selling it anymore.

Eizo, Im not seeing why they would both go to 24. The citizen indicated by the red path has only has 2 happiness tiles in each case.

Eizo, Im not seeing why they would both go to 24. The citizen indicated by the red path has only has 2 happiness tiles in each case.

Maybe I'm seeing something wrong here, but I see three; two houses and one forest. The same for his neighbour to the southeast. But it seems placing two worker houses next to a third causes squalor (or something), because they get pissed. Seen more examples of that since I posted the above pictures.

EDIT: Took some screenshots.

That the worker with the blue path doesn't like the new route he has to take is understandable, but why would the AI even suggest such a shift in the first place? And are workers some kind of special people, that can't stand living next to more than max one other worker?

Maybe I'm seeing something wrong here, but I see three; two houses and one forest. The same for his neighbour to the southeast. But it seems placing two worker houses next to a third causes squalor (or something), because they get pissed. Seen more examples of that since I posted the above pictures.

Bolded section equals two happiness.

All adjacent water and forest tiles give happiness, but the happiness provided by neighbouring workers is capped at 1.

1 forest and 1 neighbour gives as much happiness as 1 forest and X negihbours, where X is greater than 1.

Bolded section equals two happiness.

All adjacent water and forest tiles give happiness, but the happiness provided by neighbouring workers is capped at 1.

1 forest and 1 neighbour gives as much happiness as 1 forest and X negihbours, where X is greater than 1.

Ah, didn't know it was capped at 1. Should've come to that conclusion by myself, really :p
For some reason I was under the notion that you could stack neighbour happiness. Thanks for unwiggling that piece of the puzzle for me. :)

Top Bottom