Byzantine Faith and Cataphract Boost

Redaxe

Emperor
Hey so the first mod I've created is now on Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323128385&searchtext=byzantine

This mod provides 1 faith per turn and +5 defense to the Byzantine Capital and makes the Cataphract a Knight UU available at Civil Service. The intention behind this mod is to make it a bit easier to get a religion and to build more synergy into this Civ.

Firstly I want to quickly acknowledge Krajzen's work. The faith buff and defense boost to Constantinople is based off his mod. The only change I have made to Krajzen's original mod is to reduce the faith per turn from 2 to 1.

Firstly as Byzantines you're UA is dependent on you founding a religion. This is reliant on founding an early pantheon and gets increasingly harder as you move up the difficulty levels.
For instance I recently played Korea at Diety. I rolled a great start with lots of salt hoping to get the Earth Mother Pantheon. I even found a religious CS at turn 10 which provided 8 faith. Yet even building a shrine on turn 10 immediately after I unlocked pottery other Civs kept grabbing pantheons before me so I was locked out of a Pantheon until turn 35!

I felt that 2 faith per turn is a bit too strong and that 1 per turn was generally enough to secure a pantheon so long as you prioritise a Shrine in the capital. Generally for Byzantines should be playing wide, unlocking Liberty for the settler bonus and then dipping into Piety for Organised Religion. But the faith per turn makes for a tricky balance; if you role a start on Diety with Celts, Ethiopians and Maya you could still miss out on a religion with 1 FPT but if you are playing around Emperor level then anymore faith per turn and it really becomes too easy.

Moving the Cataphract to Civil Service I found seems to really make this Civ actually work as it should. Now the uniques actually synergize much better. You can focus the ancient/classical era to getting your cities up and founding a religion. Once you've ticked that box you get access to your UU so you can finally roleplay Emperor Justinian's 6th century military campaigns in reclaiming the lost Roman provinces and restoring the glory of Rome.

Is it overpowered?
I've tested the unit quite a bit and I don't think so.
-Firstly Denmark had its Berserker unit available earlier so there is a precedent for doing this.
-Cavalry units are generally weak in Civ 5. The new UU will only attack cities a little more effectively than a swordsman and it will still take lots of extra damage from spears and pikes. It is also slower than Knights so you it be less useful at pillaging tiles and moving out of harms way.
-Generally the AI will not attack a stronger unit. My observations have been that if you attack a Civ with an inferior army with your Cataphracts of doom, the AI will not attack your units and will either fortify or pull back to protect their cities. This will make your job much harder.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom