Gambits

Joelius Ceasar

Chieftain
I am a noob and I'm trying to learn some gambits. I have already tried the warrier rush twice but it only worked once. If I could get some pointers on the warrier rush and learn some new gambits; I'd be happer Eli Manning.;)

warrior rush is the stupidest tactic: it is nearly impossible on monarch+ and is still risky below. you are much more successful if you tech to either archery or BW or AH and rush with those units (unless you are inca and can rush with quechua that is)

however if you are determined to make a warrior rush work, you have to do it quick: dont build a barracks, dont hesitate when you have 4-6 warriors , and never ever try it agianst a protective civ or a city on a hill (you would need twice as many warriors)

I normally play on Prince but recently have been trying my hand at Monarch; if you are playing at Prince or below and like to leave Raging Barbarians on, I'd recommend trying to get Great Wall before building one Warrior. Another gambit is to try and get Bronze Working or Animal Husbandry before building any armies; those units are just far better than the Warriors.

I don't think a Warrior rush is what comes to mind for most experienced players when they see the word "gambit". It's not a tactic I would get used to using.

Recently i've had a lot of success with the Great Wall/Great Spy gambit. Build the great wall, use the great spy on an opponent, and then steal everything they research until your points run out, usually around engineering or banking.

Possible downsides? The civ you infiltrate will suck and tech slow, especially if they get bogged down in war, and they might even be destroyed, though that's unlikely.

This works best on higher difficulties, on lower difficulties it's easy to outtech the AI from the beginning.

Thanks guys I need all of the help I can get!:) What about later game gambits? Are there any other threads I can go to for advice?

warrior rush is a hall of fame tactic used to maximize score by moving up win time. marathon speed, settling on a plains/hill and working a forested/plain/hill is best, and you attack prior to the first border pop.

Top Bottom