Resource icon

History in the Making II: Brave New World Edition 2016-10-05

Hi Grave, here's my proposal for make more graduate the transition between medieval armies and 19° century army.
In 18° century time we have 4 units

Militia) Citizens armed with musket, cheap & weak unit
Line infantry) Trained troops, medium cost
Hussar) Trained troops, useful against artillery, flanking support and for finish infantries (like the ancient horsemen)
Cannon) Like the vanilla cannon

I think the first three were armed with muskets, so how do they relate to the musketman you proposed as a ranged unit? the same questioners goes to all firearms as well.

BTW I read your posts all around, very interesting posts.

I play in fullhd resolution, grave which resolution you use? (i'm supposing you don't have the problem with the visualization of tech tree)

@brair sir robin: i tried diplomacy mod with him2 and it works (but i only researched writing and build the first diplomatic unit)

@letmypeoplego: thanks :)

The musketman is the ranged unit of the renaissance, when muskets and artillery was primitive (bombard).
In the next era (there isn't actually this era in him2 nor civ5, can we call it "illuminism era" or "colonial era") cannons do the ranged units' job and the musket (like in vanilla civ5) becomes a not ranged weapon (and these are more modern muskets :)). The transition is like crossbowmen -> musketman -> riflemen in vanilla).

Where is Paper technology in the game?? I don`t see in tech tree.

I did have Paper in there as a Tech, but I couldn't find anything worthwhile to require it. There was a "MapTrading" tag in the XML files, which was the main reason I had a Paper Tech, but during testing it was discovered that the tag was broken and did not work. So I had no choice but to remove Paper (which I really, REALLY wanted in the game... it's one of the major discoveries of the Chinese, afterall!)

You can see where Paper used to be in the Tech Tree... it's right were Civil Service is now. Civil Service was right above Feudalism.

Moving stonenge to priesthood is a good choise, it's distant to the starting tech a like the vanilla game i think.
About historic coorence i very dislike the mounted-units path of vanilla, it don't reflect its raise & fall (with de maximum on meddle-ages), i hope you will concentrate on the "new kind of war" of each era in future, and if you want some suggestions, i can make some visual modification to tech tree to explain my suggestions on it.

What I was trying to do (and you can see it in the Tech Tree) is to have new UnitClasses show up in the beginning of each Era. Take a look at the Swordsman, Longswordsman, Musketman, Rifleman, etc. Each of their techs is one of the first to discover for their respective era.

The King of the Mods has returned!! All hail the King!!

I haven't gotten CiV yet because of the reviews and the lack of content; but I may change my mind...

Civ V isn't bad. It's not as good as BtS, but then again neither was Civ IV when it first came out. Civ V will only get better (hopefully) with age. If they release the source codes like I hear they will, then... :goodjob:

Hey Hey, you need someone for a german translation of the mod?

Still testing it. You'll get my feedback when i am done.
Nice mod so far.

Maybe you should implemend the City State Mod from Gazebo? Can't play with out it anymore :/.

Sure, a German translation would be great! Maybe for language translations, they can be loaded as a dependent sub-mod? :confused:

I haven't checked out the City State mod yet, but I have read abou it on it's thread. Is it modular? Meaning... can the mod be loaded at the same time as HiTM? Or will it overwrite certain things? Guess I'll have to check it out.

good to see this loved it for civ 4 :goodjob:
played till 1000ad a few observations
i have the tech tree display problem as already noted.
even though you have added 12 tech (a good thing) the tech rate still flies by
tech progress needs to be slowed maybe 20-25 % .
one of my biggest problems with the tech tree is it is to easy to run the bottom
of the tech tree to steel .I generally play king and in at least 8 or so games I have seen longswords from another civ at 500bc not very historically accurate & makes you play
one specfic way to have to counter . One of the base features that i cant believe got by
testers is that research agreement dont scale by era, (they are all 300$) having them
scale would help slow belines. modern techs are worth many times the beakers than the ancient one shouldn't they be worth more money ?
also i am hooked on the city state diplomacy mod by Gazebo
Have you looked in to this great mod and to adding it to yours

You've seen Longswordsman by 500BC in HiTM2? Wow! I thought I was able to curb that. :eek:

I can tweak Research Agreements. I was going to do it for the initial launch of HiTM2, but I forgot. :blush:

Holy hell, this is great news! I had no idea this was in the works Grave, you have made me very happy. I loved HitM for Civ 4 BTS and couldn't play the game without it.

Is this initial version compatible with the latest patched version of Civ 5? I don't mind waiting at all it isn't.

It should be... I've been playing it for about a week now without a hiccup. :king:

I play in fullhd resolution, grave which resolution you use? (i'm supposing you don't have the problem with the visualization of tech tree)

@brair sir robin: i tried diplomacy mod with him2 and it works (but i only researched writing and build the first diplomatic unit)

@letmypeoplego: thanks :)

The musketman is the ranged unit of the renaissance, when muskets and artillery was primitive (bombard).
In the next era (there isn't actually this era in him2 nor civ5, can we call it "illuminism era" or "colonial era") cannons do the ranged units' job and the musket (like in vanilla civ5) becomes a not ranged weapon (and these are more modern muskets :)). The transition is like crossbowmen -> musketman -> riflemen in vanilla).

Great to see this MOD back!

Playing already, but the tech tree is kind of broken. Just cant see all the techs, all I see is the first page (ancient era)..theres no scrollbar.

Same problem!
I had this problem also with "total mod" but not with "Call to power mod".
ps I tried to switch the game to english language

Great to see this MOD back!

Playing already, but the tech tree is kind of broken. Just cant see all the techs, all I see is the first page (ancient era)..theres no scrollbar.

same thing to report here

The TechTree is broken? It's not broken in my game when I fire it up. Do you have any other mods enabled? Have tested HiTM2 by itself with no other mods loaded and got the same result? Which mods do you also play with? These will help me troubleshoot.

BTW... not sure if it matters, but I play in full 1080p HD.

I used it without any other mods, it's not a problem of language and we have the same resolution :(
I had the same problem with "total mod" but not with "call to power".

I see the moved units along the tech tree, its a real good job but i can't try it with this problem on tech tree :(

Just thought I'd chime in to let you know the tech tree is OK in mine too. I'm at 580AD on turn 139 and I've been able to scroll along the tech tree fine.

I just have HitM2 installed along with a clock mod and play on all high settings at 1920x1200 res.

The game is going great, but I do find I'm racing thru the techs really fast, like someone else mentioned. I'm just playing at normal speed. I think next time I'll try a slower one.

I mentioned earlier about Egypt getting Calendar being a bit unfair and I am playing as Egypt and got Stonehenge, the Pyramids and the Colossus really easily. The social policies are coming through thick and fast too!

I also noticed a little bug. It doesn't affect gameplay so it's just cosmetic, but when you research something you get the little notice at the end and it also has a little warning in red saying that this tech requires X for example I researched sailing and then after I got it, it said this tech requires calendar, which I already got as default anyway.

Textiles & philosophy also say they need calendar and optics warns that it needs mathematics.

Like I said though they're only red warnings and don't seem to stop you from using them.

Really enjoying the mod and I really hope this becomes something really amazing like the version you did for Civ 4 with the extra units and graphics etc.

Is it possible to use RED modpack with this? I kinda got used to the improved unit animations and the like.

I used it without any other mods, it's not a problem of language and we have the same resolution :(
I had the same problem with "total mod" but not with "call to power".

I see the moved units along the tech tree, its a real good job but i can't try it with this problem on tech tree :(

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I can't seem to reproduce your problem... as the Tech Tree is working just fine for me. It seems to work with most users, while a few others it will not. I would suggest trying different game settings, and see if that helps.

Just thought I'd chime in to let you know the tech tree is OK in mine too. I'm at 580AD on turn 139 and I've been able to scroll along the tech tree fine.

I just have HitM2 installed along with a clock mod and play on all high settings at 1920x1200 res.

The game is going great, but I do find I'm racing thru the techs really fast, like someone else mentioned. I'm just playing at normal speed. I think next time I'll try a slower one.

I mentioned earlier about Egypt getting Calendar being a bit unfair and I am playing as Egypt and got Stonehenge, the Pyramids and the Colossus really easily. The social policies are coming through thick and fast too!

I also noticed a little bug. It doesn't affect gameplay so it's just cosmetic, but when you research something you get the little notice at the end and it also has a little warning in red saying that this tech requires X for example I researched sailing and then after I got it, it said this tech requires calendar, which I already got as default anyway.

Textiles & philosophy also say they need calendar and optics warns that it needs mathematics.

Like I said though they're only red warnings and don't seem to stop you from using them.

Really enjoying the mod and I really hope this becomes something really amazing like the version you did for Civ 4 with the extra units and graphics etc.

The red font that says "Requires Mathematics" for example, is not a bug. That is to let you know that particular Tech requires an additional tech that is not linked directly to it on the Tech Tree.

So you think Techs progress too fast? I think they progress a little too slow... perhaps its the way we play? :confused:

Is it possible to use RED modpack with this? I kinda got used to the improved unit animations and the like.

I'll have to look into the RED mod. I haven't heard of it... but I'll check it out. :)

R.E.D. modpack basically just resizes the units on screen, so they kind of scale to eachother. Human units are smaller, but there are more of them per tile, and things like galleons, submarines, destroyers and aircraft carriers are all sized appropriately.

I think it also adds flavourful skins and the like too to make each Civ a bit more unique.

Nice job. The tech tree does stick at the first page and I had one point where I couldn't get rid of the city-message tab when they were asking me to get rid of a barb camp.

I like the feel and balance.

Might I suggest using the Seven Ancient Wonders mod component version of the Statue of Zeus for graphics? He has spectacular icons for that, Mausolus, and Temple of Artemis.

Tech tree screen is way messed up. None of the new techs show up, broken lines, and the tree won't scroll.

Using following mods, none change the tech tree specifically: Balance - Ruins, Echoes of Ages (new buildings), Simple Clock, Food Economy, Luxury Display, R.E.D. (unit graphics), Satellites Reveal Map, and YnAEMP plus City States.

Screen Res: 1700x1000

I had a problem with not being able to see all the techs as well, but realized I was using Better Tech Tree with the mod. Once I unchecked that I was able to see all the techs. The pipes still aren't great, but at least the techs are there and I can sort of figure out what's what.

The other thing for me is that I just built the Statue of Zeus in my capital and the whole city disappeared. It is still there because it has the bar over it with the name, but it is otherwise completely gone. I tried restarting the game and it did not help. I even went back to before the wonder was built and it was still disappeared, like it knew it was going to happen anyway. Any ideas?

Tech tree screen is way messed up. None of the new techs show up, broken lines, and the tree won't scroll.

Using following mods, none change the tech tree specifically: Balance - Ruins, Echoes of Ages (new buildings), Simple Clock, Food Economy, Luxury Display, R.E.D. (unit graphics), Satellites Reveal Map, and YnAEMP plus City States.

Sat reveal edits the tree and is also obsolete. It is in vanilla now. Given that many of those mods edit lua I am sure there are other conflicts too

I'm sorry to report my tech tree has gone wrong and sounds similar to what these other guys are saying.

I started a new game today and before I did I had a spring clean....cleared my cache file and old saves etc and then when I started playing I went into the tech tree and I've attached a pic of it.

I can only assume that clearing my cache is what caused me to see what the others are seeing.

Grave, maybe you can clear your cache file and see if you find the same thing.

Attachments

• techtree.jpg
    techtree.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 426
Just finished the game with this Mod. Found a large plot of marshland between tree rivers with 5 wheat and did OCC with Egypt. Won via culture with a population of 51 (70 million) and growing every 2 turns or so.

Had a couple weird things happen:
1) One CS had a defense of 40 or so and was completely surrounded by riflemen. They would attack and damage would show for a second and then disappear. I know at least two attacked every turn, but the city rarely showed damage.
2) Had the tech tree issues as mentioned above. At one point the tech I was currently researching wouldn't change, even though it did if I pulled up the menu of possible techs to research.
3) City disappeared as someone else mentioned, but I don't know when. I did build statue of Zeus as did the other poster.
4) I don't remember all the new buildings/wonders, but it seemed that some were not available after I researched the tech. Might be that they has another tech requirement.

Overall, I think this is a really nice mod and might not need some of the other balancing mods.

I had a problem with not being able to see all the techs as well, but realized I was using Better Tech Tree with the mod. Once I unchecked that I was able to see all the techs. The pipes still aren't great, but at least the techs are there and I can sort of figure out what's what.

The other thing for me is that I just built the Statue of Zeus in my capital and the whole city disappeared. It is still there because it has the bar over it with the name, but it is otherwise completely gone. I tried restarting the game and it did not help. I even went back to before the wonder was built and it was still disappeared, like it knew it was going to happen anyway. Any ideas?

I'm sorry to report my tech tree has gone wrong and sounds similar to what these other guys are saying.

I started a new game today and before I did I had a spring clean....cleared my cache file and old saves etc and then when I started playing I went into the tech tree and I've attached a pic of it.

I can only assume that clearing my cache is what caused me to see what the others are seeing.

Grave, maybe you can clear your cache file and see if you find the same thing.

Just finished the game with this Mod. Found a large plot of marshland between tree rivers with 5 wheat and did OCC with Egypt. Won via culture with a population of 51 (70 million) and growing every 2 turns or so.

Had a couple weird things happen:
1) One CS had a defense of 40 or so and was completely surrounded by riflemen. They would attack and damage would show for a second and then disappear. I know at least two attacked every turn, but the city rarely showed damage.
2) Had the tech tree issues as mentioned above. At one point the tech I was currently researching wouldn't change, even though it did if I pulled up the menu of possible techs to research.
3) City disappeared as someone else mentioned, but I don't know when. I did build statue of Zeus as did the other poster.
4) I don't remember all the new buildings/wonders, but it seemed that some were not available after I researched the tech. Might be that they has another tech requirement.

Overall, I think this is a really nice mod and might not need some of the other balancing mods.

Thanks all of you for your feedback! :goodjob:

I don't get the Tech Tree thing... it looks great in my game, I wonder why it won't in some others? :confused: I will look into it, but one way or another, I WILL fix it by the next release (v2). :sad:

The Statue of Zeus thing... I noticed that as well, but not every game I played. It's probably something to do with the ArtDefines (I borrowed one from one of the other buildings in the game). I'm hoping this is an easy fix... again, this will be fixed when I release (v2).

Has something happened to the build speed of Worker units? They seem to be taking a really long time compared to everything else. With a new game a settler tends to take between 20-25 turns but a worker takes up to 50 turns :/

I was also going to ask if it would be possible to inlcude Valkrionn's Economy mod into this or something similar? Maybe as an optional module like some that you had in HitM for Civ 4: BtS? I have come to love a lot of the changes that his economy mod has made such as making tech take much longer to acquire so you have a decent amount of time to use units of each era before they become obsolete. I feel like he addressed a lot of balance issues in the game too.

In Civ 4 BtS there wasn't much need for such an economy mod because it was pretty ideal the way it was and if you felt the need for a few tweaks you could just edit the GameSpeedInfos.xml file of your mod. In Civ 5 though I think the balance is still messed up even after a few patches. I would like to run your mod plus the economy mod as of now but it seems like they would not be very compatible. I'll continue using your mod no matter what though as I know judging from your work on the Civ 4 version it will become something spectacular in time.

As a relative newby, I find that I really like your version of the techs quite a bit. I agree the techs seem to fly by, especially if you get the free Great Scientist from Philosophy - and turn him into an Academy. Early in the game, that science boost is huge. Also, some of the terms seem to be off. For example, "Public School" still says that it needs a University when you're playing in the game, even though you can build it without the Univ. Also, I ran into an issue with Fertilizer being allowed to be researched... but then it wouldn't go into affect until after Military Science was completed. It seems that perhaps it should not be researechable if it can't be used. Overall, I really like where you're going with this.

Wonderful MOD, brings new perspective to game. Like several above, the tech tree scroll bar does not work for me.

Top Bottom