Resource icon

Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial) v.29 beta 5b

Great, and thanks for the quick reply (after I figured it out, I was able to appreciate the big picture in terms of you making it as customizable as possible). I started it up and almost everything appears to work, at least in the few quick initial turns I took to test it out in broad strokes — very nice!

I did notice one problem, however: My "Dawn of Man" screen for the Babylonians showed their Bowman, but their unique building was replaced with a basic Infantry unit. I downloaded EDUniqueBonuses.zip and overwrote Steam\...\GameSetup\UniqueBonuses.lua, which I believe was the fix to this issue, so I'm not sure if I applied the fix incorrectly, if one of my other mods is complicating things, or if the fix isn't working after recent updates.

I'm going to give it another go from scratch (doesn't take long now that I know what I'm doing!), and I'll let you know if the problem repeats.

I appreciate the appreciation!

I'd very much like to make the process easier/less confusing, and I'm always welcome to suggestions, even if it's just where I might tighten up the instructions.

I downloaded EDUniqueBonuses.zip and overwrote Steam\...\GameSetup\UniqueBonuses.lua, which I believe was the fix to this issue, so I'm not sure if I applied the fix incorrectly, if one of my other mods is complicating things, or if the fix isn't working after recent updates.

That's the fix. It works for me on my copy of 1.0.1.511, and it works with UOP/VEM. CivWillard and InfoAddict shouldn't be interacting there. So... I don't know why it's not working for you. You can make sure that the file really has been overwritten (look at the date modified). Either way, like I've said, it's purely a cosmetic issue.

This mod sounds fantastic although I have one question.

I'm in the middle of a really important game right now and I would love to try this mod out straight away. Will this mod work on a saved game? Or will I have to start a new game entirely??

Thanks.

Will this mod work on a saved game?

Short answer, no--and especially not for a really important game! (Aren't they all important? I mean, we're talking about the fate of civilization here!)

Good luck!

I have an annoying problem with this.. Archers, warriors, etc. look like spearmen.. Might be a compatibility issue? Tried it without other mods tough.. So what is it I am doing wrong?

I have an annoying problem with this.. Archers, warriors, etc. look like spearmen.. Might be a compatibility issue? Tried it without other mods tough.. So what is it I am doing wrong?

Even if you've disabled all other mods, there may be some cached resources that persist, so try deleting your cache folder. That should do the trick. Note that there is a link to some good general troubleshooting instructions for CiV mods near the end of the first post.

Playing as Germany, it lists both Musketmen Russia & German. When I made my first, it was the Russian, plus it CTDed. Is this a known bug? Or is there anything I can do about it?

Playing as Germany, it lists both Musketmen Russia & German. When I made my first, it was the Russian, plus it CTDed. Is this a known bug? Or is there anything I can do about it?

Crap. Sorry about that. I fixed that a long time ago, and hadn't realized it was still in Optional Units v12.01.

It's an easy fix:

in file:
\Ethnic Diversity - Optional Units (v 12)\Optional\Units\newunits_musketman.sql
on line 44, change:
'CIVILIZATION_GERMANY'
to
'CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA'

OK, I'm going to be releasing the new beta soon, but...

I'm still trying to decide how to deal with units as applied to the new civs from Gods + Kings. I have created a poll in case you (yes, you!) want a say.

For example: I'm currently using Swedish units for Denmark (since Firaxis had conflated the Scandinavians already). Now that Sweden is going in to G+K, I need to decide what to do with Denmark. Obviously, it's not likely we'll be getting any WWII units for them. Since they were occupied by Germany early in the war, and there were many Nazi collaborationists, should they share German WWII-era units? Or continue to share units with their Swedish neighbors (who were busy trying to remain neutral, but helped train Danish resistance)? Or... should they just go back to using vanilla units?

As for the other G+K civs, I'm thinking the Huns should get the modern Hungary units for geographical reasons even if the ethnic ones are suspect. I've already mentioned the issues with the Celts and Byzantium, but Sweden and the Netherlands are pretty much covered, at least.

Similar issues abound. I could potentially do lots of sharing based on who was invading/colonizing whom.

Anyway, let me know what ya'll think. Feel free to leave blanks: the default is to use vanilla units.

Please post comments on the poll website so I don't clutter up this thread too much with this discussion.
Thanks!

POLL #2: Click the picture below to take the poll.

How should Civs share ethnic units (especially during WWII)?

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to put Austria in the poll. If Austria sharing with Germany doesn't fit with your "Generally" vote, leave a comment on the poll website.

i saw ur new poll and i think that the byzantium-greece-rome is a very difficult point .bassicaly greece and byzantium it is the same thing and is kinda stupid that developers put both greece and byz in game, but in association with the ethnic units i think greece and byz shoyld have the same because when byzantium appeared roman empire was destroyed and the roman area in medieval had nothing to do with the byzantium,when the roman empire excisted there were only greece,(not byzantium),which was semi-autonomus, the only same things that byz had with rome are those that rome copied from greece, but byz = later greece, ok i sound weird but it is hard to explain

i saw ur new poll and i think that the byzantium-greece-rome is a very difficult point .bassicaly greece and byzantium it is the same thing and is kinda stupid that developers put both greece and byz in game, but in association with the ethnic units i think greece and byz shoyld have the same because when byzantium appeared roman empire was destroyed and the roman area in medieval had nothing to do with the byzantium,when the roman empire excisted there were only greece,(not byzantium),which was semi-autonomus, the only same things that byz had with rome are those that rome copied from greece, but byz = later greece, ok i sound weird but it is hard to explain
But that's wrong. When the Eastern and Roman Empires split, the Roman Empire may have not been in its best state, but it was certainly not destroyed.

But that's wrong. When the Eastern and Roman Empires split, the Roman Empire may have not been in its best state, but it was certainly not destroyed.

for how many years of the total byzantium life the west roman empire existred????less than 200, what byzantine empire had in common with the roman after a few years?nothing except what the romans copied from them(Greece.bassicaly byzantine empire wasnt what left of the roman empire but a part of it which left the empire and choose to be a Greeek empire, byzantium had greek languarge, poppulation, emperor, religion ,soldiers(but sometimes it had mercenaries and not natives), lands, style of life, valours. everything was Greeks, to sum up byzantium is the part of roman empire which was Greek and Byzantium is just a medieval name for Greece, it never was a seperate country, note that even today the turks dont call us greeks but byzantines

EDIT: sorry i will use the poll site

Umm no, we (Turks) call you Greeks. But we are also aware that Byzantium influenced by Greek culture, so we are seeing Byzantium as an extension of your culture. But in conclusion they are Romans if we look at their governmental structure.

Umm no, we (Turks) call you Greeks. But we are also aware that Byzantium influenced by Greek culture, so we are seeing Byzantium as an extension of your culture. But in conclusion they are Romans if we look at their governmental structure.

i said that because i have seen some turk films and members of my family have visited the lands turkey stole from as and ur people used to say as romans(romii, ρωμιοί), and u make a terrible mistake byzantine empire was greece not affected by greece, as i mentioned before every single thing it had was greek, people land, languarge, religion, valours, architecture ,emperor, goverment...
u said that byzantines were romans because they had the same goverment structure???u cant show nationality of a country with this and if u could the goverment structure that byzantium used was very common and was used by greeks before even rome was built, especialy after alexander the great monarchy was spread throught greece and the democratic cities(athens) were just puppets or lost democracy at all.
okay i know u turks try to hit us greeks at every oppurtunity because u cant catch up with as at nothing, but i wont start talking about history and politics now because the porpose is to help the mod become better and enjoyable not to analize any sitiuation or what truly turks learn at their schools, one last thing for example, turks learn in school that homer(ancient greek who wrote about the trojan war ,the writing of these 2 books were 2,000 years before turks appear in anatolia) was a turk!!!!!!

Like I mentioned, I prefer that this conversation goes on the poll website.

:sad: Sigh. I knew this would happen. Let's try to focus the discussion on the matter at hand, and stay away from who was stealing whose lives, land, and treasure, because history is a nasty business. Somehow, when the smoke clears, the survivors eventually find a way to get by and cooperate with one another (though obviously we can hold grudges for a few millenia).

I don't think anyone questions that the Byzantines were Roman politically and Greek culturally. The question is whether you think it matters in this very narrow context, e.g., whose tanks and ships they might be using by WWII.

Discuss on the poll website. :gripe:

Thank you.

i said that because i have seen some turk films and members of my family have visited the lands turkey stole from as and ur people used to say as romans(romii, ρωμιοί), and u make a terrible mistake byzantine empire was greece not affected by greece, as i mentioned before every single thing it had was greek, people land, languarge, religion, valours, architecture ,emperor, goverment...
u said that byzantines were romans because they had the same goverment structure???u cant show nationality of a country with this and if u could the goverment structure that byzantium used was very common and was used by greeks before even rome was built, especialy after alexander the great monarchy was spread throught greece and the democratic cities(athens) were just puppets or lost democracy at all.
okay i know u turks try to hit us greeks at every oppurtunity because u cant catch up with as at nothing, but i wont start talking about history and politics now because the porpose is to help the mod become better and enjoyable not to analize any sitiuation or what truly turks learn at their schools, one last thing for example, turks learn in school that homer(ancient greek who wrote about the trojan war ,the writing of these 2 books were 2,000 years before turks appear in anatolia) was a turk!!!!!!

Hey i think you should calm down, my purpose of replying this thread was same as yours, i just mentioned my opinion. I didn't intend to say something harsh about your nationalty,country or your culture. I think i was misunderstood.

Hey i think you should calm down, my purpose of replying this thread was same as yours, i just mentioned my opinion. I didn't intend to say something harsh about your nationalty,country or your culture. I think i was misunderstood.

sorry i was pissed of that day after having a conversesion with a turk about the genocide of the pontians(greeks of pontus), because in greece this is a day of remembering what kemal did to humanity and the genocides he did against orthodoxs and the same day in trukey they celebrate kemal and greco-turk friendship, so only for the reason they putthe a celebration and a friendship pact at the day when they slaugtered and killed thousands i could not be in a good mood after this conversation

Top Bottom