Map Labels

Seems a very nice mod to me!
However I have one problem with it.
I guess it have to do with my resolution of 2560x1440 and or with the EUI mod maybe.
But thats just a thinking of me.
The offset of the map labels option screen lays above top screen so I can see it only from the "max labels" option further down.

This happens when the game first starts and also when i open it from in map labels itself.

I hope there's a way to fix this :)

Grtz

Seems a very nice mod to me!
However I have one problem with it.
I guess it have to do with my resolution of 2560x1440 and or with the EUI mod maybe.
But thats just a thinking of me.
The offset of the map labels option screen lays above top screen so I can see it only from the "max labels" option further down.

This happens when the game first starts and also when i open it from in map labels itself.

I hope there's a way to fix this :)

Grtz

Thanks for letting me know about this. I assume this is a problem with the dynamic labels generator panel (the middle one) and not the side one? I found the problem with the middle panel--I wasn't adjusting the top offset for screen size. That'll be fixed in v5 (coming very soon).

Thanks for letting me know about this. I assume this is a problem with the dynamic labels generator panel (the middle one) and not the side one? I found the problem with the middle panel--I wasn't adjusting the top offset for screen size. That'll be fixed in v5 (coming very soon).

Yes I talk about the middle one for the rest all looks ok. :)

I'd actually already put them in before you added more. Could you give me a list of just the new ones?

Oh, I just added forests, mountains, lakes and rivers (I only had regions, oceans and islands). If you've already got them then there isn't anything new. I wasn't aware you added them in since I didn't see any response. :p

Map Labels v5 (Beta) Uploaded

View attachment Map Labels (v 5).zip
Download from MediaFire

Changes:
-Now saves appearance options, DLG and battle options for user across games (note that all save functions only work on turn 2 forward); along with this there is a new Options panel called "Other" with a Restore Default Settings button
-Bug fixes: fixed popup always opening on closing city screen, added check on icon panel to bypass some icon incompatibility, added check to DLG processing so that having labels in ML_Labels_Dynamic with cultures not in ML_Cultures does not cause script to fail; fixed DLG panel offset to work with resolutions other than __x1050
-New/updated cultures: lots of new names (more SE Asian names from Sukritact, French from Gedemo, forests from idvhl, US regions from RawSasquatch, Slavic from janboruta)
-Mod compatibility with Gedemo's civs
-For modders: added outside LuaEvent funtion calls to add/edit/remove labels (documentation pending); modders can now change colors of individual labels; modders can create their own label MainTypes and SubTypes
-Other changes: changed main header graphic and Map Labels icon to pushpin (thanks to Leugi for those); added REDO button to DLG results message; optimized code for finding nearest starting plot

Thanks to everyone who helped provide cultural names and reported bugs! I'm hoping this will be the last beta version, as I don't have any current plans for more features. Once this is tested and I fix any bugs, v6 should be ready for Steam Workshop.

There's a problem with Mediafire link; it must be faulty, because it doesn't load and returns me to my account :)

And when I download from Civfanatics, the mod doesn't work in-game - the generator doesn't load automatically and I can't open it via map options buttons beside the minimap. I'll need to check if that's a conflict, but it all worked previously.

Some feedback on v5 :)

it now works on 2560 x 1440 resolution! :p
However. I had too 4 extra civ's from JFD running at the moment of testing and the Japan - Tojo civ (I assume together with janboruta, Leugi and regalmenemperor) made v5 not work.
At starting the game the Map Labels dialog in the middle of the screen didn't show up.
Howerver Map Labels is in place on the map options menu.
But clicking on it won't open map labels or map labels settings.

Maybe because there are no labels for it jet?
If so, is it possible to make map labels work if there are civ's present which not have labels given?
Just some thinking and maybe the problem be something else...

I only hope you continue make this mod better because in my opinion this is too 1 of the best mods for civ 5!

Grtz

BTW

It would be fantastic to have labels laying on the map in different sizes and following the path of rivers for example!

But I also assume this is in no way (or maybe by redesingning the whole game :) ) to accomplish!

But I'm sure many here share my thinking! :)

Grtz

Don't see this as a request hazel16 else you maybe run :)

Thanks for the quick bug reports! My best guess is the problem has to do with the new code for persistent user options, since that's the main change at load time, so I'm going to look into that. If any of you are able to attach your lua log file, I'll be able to find the problem faster.

Gedemo, I've seen that error message, too, and it's been there through a few versions of this mod. Everything still seemed to work (WorldAnchor being part of the label instance that draws all the labels on the map), so I haven't thought much of it.

Just let you know in my case there where no crashes or errors.
I just couldn't get things to work while Japan - Tojo was active.
But Map Labels was in place at the map options menu.

Just let you know in my case there where no crashes or errors.
I just couldn't get things to work while Japan - Tojo was active.
But Map Labels was in place at the map options menu.

Thanks for narrowing down the error! I messaged JFD, but for future reference for other modders, the main problem is that the mod updates the Map Labels tables but Map Labels is not listed as a reference (so Map Labels is loading after the other mod).

I'm updating Map Labels to not take into account any of its custom tables that are loaded before it (for those who know SQL, I'm going to DROP TABLE IF EXISTS ML_CivCultures and then CREATE TABLE ML_CivCultures, etc, for all tables). This means that Map Labels should function just fine even if it's not listed as a reference, but any mods that want to make use of Map Labels have to list it as a reference or their changes (to the Map Labels tables only) won't be loaded.

In all my testing, Map Labels does work just fine with custom civs that aren't assigned cultures--it just doesn't give them cultural labels in DLG unless you assign them in-game.

If anyone's having problems that are not related to this, send me your lua log. Thanks!

Map Labels v6

Download from Mediafire
View attachment Map Labels (v 6).zip

8/29/2014 v6 beta :)trade: backwards compatible through v4)
-fixed Map Labels malfunctioning if mods make alterations to tables in Map Labels but don't list it as a reference; from now on, if Map Labels is not listed as a reference, another mod's changes to Map Labels-specific tables will not be loaded

(this probably seems like a minor update to go up a whole version number, but I think it works best for organization and is less likely to create bugs with the mod loader screen if every file downloaded has a new version number)

Something important on that note Hazel, I have added an specific culture group for the Muisca (likely to be used with Gran Colombia as well), so you should remove both from the generic South American Group.

I'm also going to make a Caribbean group once I get to updating Cuba. Though might be better to rather give you the list to you so it's part of the main labels mod (since many other civs might use it)

Hey! Let me start with a big thank you for this mod--it really helps with immersion! :D

I have a couple questions though:

I've noticed this mod causes the game to freeze up for a little while (~10 seconds) when saving. It's by no means a big deal and I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I weren't a compulsive saver (autosave every 5 turns, and many more manual saves). But, I just wanted to verify that it's a known effect of the mod and not something on my end.

I've also noticed natural wonders being tagged as normal mountains. Is this simply a consequence of how the game classifies natural wonders?

Hey! Let me start with a big thank you for this mod--it really helps with immersion! :D

I have a couple questions though:

I've noticed this mod causes the game to freeze up for a little while (~10 seconds)

Thanks that might explain the significant slow down after the barbarians take their turn (hard freeze for 10 seconds). I'll try turning off autosaves and see if that makes a difference.

Top Bottom