[MOD] Speed Mod

Kael

Deity
Download here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4636 (updated 04/29/2007)

[TAB]Speed Mod is a Warlords mod for Civilization IV. It requires Warlords patch 2.08 to run.

[TAB]Speed Mod doesn't change any of the functionality of Civilization IV, everything is exactly the same as in the core game. But it has been optomized for speed. Although it improves the games performance in all areas the biggest difference players will notice is in the delay between turns, which can drop to a fraction of the normal time. If you are tired of waiting between turns, try Speed Mod.

How does it work?

[TAB]A significant percentage of Civ4's time is spent running python checks. C++ is very fast, python is pretty slow in comparison. Firaxis added all of these python checks so that we can mod in all of our own changes. There is a python call whenever combat ends, whenever a unit moves, whenever a plot is revealed, etc etc etc. But in the unmodded game none of these checks do anything.

[TAB]In Speed Mod I took out all of the python checks. Now we remain in C++ and everything flies. As a consequence you cant do any python modding with the Speed Mod dll, but if you want to play the normal game, only faster, Speed Mod is your best bet.

Whats coming up for Speed Mod?

[TAB]Right now I want to get some test results from you guys. Personally I can run on huge maps full of AI civs at the same speed I used to do standard maps (my comptuer isnt that great so I was never able to do anything much beyond the standard size map). But I need to hear about how it effects your games.

[TAB]I tried to make sure all of the python functions I removed didnt do anything, and my own games are working fine, but I also need to know about anything I broke.

[TAB]If everyone likes Speed Mod I will probably develop a version for the vanilla game.

Source Code: Speed Mod Source Code

Reserved for future use.

Sweet Kael. Have you considered doing it to stock civ4?

I've done some serious number crunching with C++ and it always surprised me how long the turns took. And to make sure this only prevents the calls found in the CvEventManager.py right. It doesn't do anything to any python callable functions?

If everyone likes Speed Mod I will probably develop a version for the vanilla game and maybe ever integrate the mod that allows you to play with up to 24 civs (now that we the extra CPU we might as well use it :) ).

Yeap .

Excellent, I must begin to port my little bit of Python coding to C++ now. Are you going to set up FFH2 to use the Speed Mod?

Excellent, I must begin to port my little bit of Python coding to C++ now. Are you going to set up FFH2 to use the Speed Mod?

Pretty much, just like you say I've been moving python functions into the SDK one by one. I doubt I will have it 100% in the SDK, but I will move the ones that make sense in and shut off the python function Im not using so they aren't wasting processor time.

How does this affect any custom scenarios (such as the Warlords scenarios) that used their own python processes?

How does this affect any custom scenarios (such as the Warlords scenarios) that used their own python processes?

It will break them. Speed Mod is a mod (even if it doesnt do anything but speed up the game), it can't be used with other mods without some customizing.

FfH II and WHFB need this :)

Holy ****balls.

Are you going to release any instructions to show us hopefuls how to integrate this into our own mods?

Holy ****balls.

Are you going to release any instructions to show us hopefuls how to integrate this into our own mods?

Yeah, the source will be up tomorrow.

Yeah, the source will be up tomorrow.

Thank you much. Moderate frame rates are no problem for me... It's the unbelievably long waiting times I have to endure after I finish a turn that pain me, and give me nightmares for weeks.

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a bit at the end there, but you must admit, the waiting times after turns almost kill the game.

Thank you much. Moderate frame rates are no problem for me... It's the unbelievably long waiting times I have to endure after I finish a turn that pain me, and give me nightmares for weeks.

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a bit at the end there, but you must admit, the waiting times after turns almost kill the game.

I agree 100%, thats exactly why I made this.

Sounds great to me!!! Warlords spelled wrong on first post (info)
EDIT:
Now is this intended for a normal game only or can you put it in any Warlord MOD?

It will only work with the Warlords epic game ("epic" meaning the normal game not the game speed). I will put up the source code tomorrow so modmakers can integrate parts they want in their own mods but it will not work out of the box with other mods.

Sweet Kael. Have you considered doing it to stock civ4?

I've done some serious number crunching with C++ and it always surprised me how long the turns took. And to make sure this only prevents the calls found in the CvEventManager.py right. It doesn't do anything to any python callable functions?

It kills any python call which isnt used in the epic game for warlords. Thats a lot of calls in cveventmanager but also includes a lot in cvgameinterface (and through to gameutils) as well. The only ones i left in were some python calls that pulled up certain screens.

Top Bottom