Private Maps Question

Vokarya

Deity
I was looking at the Private Maps included with AND and I noticed that we have an Africa map that isn't an AND map at all. It is a regular BTS map. It does not have any AND terrain (Marsh) or any AND resources (it still has Aluminum, not Bauxite, and lacks any of our other new resources). So it seems to me that any game on this map is going to be crippled due to a lack of resources. Is there a reason this map is included at all?

I don't know, but if in doubt, remove it. I honestly never did a good job maintaining maps or mapscripts, I never really cared.

I rarely use private maps. I used an Earth map a few times and a Tamriel map once or twice, but that's it.

I've played a few of the Private maps before. One of the World Maps, "Orion", the Mars Colonization map, and the Antarctic Map. RI also had one built off of a Triassic Earth landscape (Just the shape sadly :lol: ) which was a cool novelty, but ultimately I find I play on random maps more often. It's nice to have the option to play on these static maps now and then though :)

Going to resurrect this for another question. Does anyone else get Python exceptions for starting a private map with Sulphur resources included? Should we scrub the Sulphur resources from the private maps? It only seems to trigger exceptions on game start, but it does require one click-through for every resource.

View attachment 392261

Yes of course we should!
I guess we should also review all the mapscripts and all the random maps. Some are also throwing python errors (Balanced for example).

I always forgot to report that I experienced CTDs when selecting the Full of Resource map script in the new game setup menu.
If no one else noticed/reported this the easiest solution may be to just remove that script. I never understood how to use it anyway :crazyeye:

I always forgot to report that I experienced CTDs when selecting the Full of Resource map script in the new game setup menu.
If no one else noticed/reported this the easiest solution may be to just remove that script. I never understood how to use it anyway :crazyeye:

I don't know how to use it either, but at least one version of Full of Resources does what I consider very bad design and leaves new folders behind in the My Games folder if you use it. I really don't like it when programs in general do that. If a mapscript does that, my inclination is to break out the scalpel and flamethrower.

I also noticed that the Mars map crashed for me at the end of turn 1.

I've got a 'Full of Resources' folder in my 'My Games' folder too. It's really quite irritating.

Yes of course we should!
I guess we should also review all the mapscripts and all the random maps. Some are also throwing python errors (Balanced for example).

With Balanced, the immediate problem is that someone commented out a couple of lines in the mapscript that import the BonusBalancer Python function; that's why the errors show up. I tried removing the comment marks and the map seems to load fine. It looks like the comment markers are very old; I checked RoM (not AND)'s version and the comment markers were there. I do not know why those lines were commented out, and checking the RoM forum didn't turn up anything.

I just updated my AND to the latest SVN and it does crash as soon as you select Full of Resources from the Custom Game screen. So it might be a good idea to get rid of this one.

I've added Full of resource and balancer errors to the bugtracker.

Top Bottom