Silly AI behaviour

it seems that the last patch you made fixed the thing that AI is starting War now, but the problem is he is not ready to fight, it means for example he has 10Mio Soldiers he have 40 citys he is starting War he is attacking with a few Units 10 soldiers and not in 1 field just 2 soldiers here 3 on another place and thats it, also he lose only 2 small citys and he is asking again for freedom but he have 40 citys thats also a bit bad.

in my opinion it would be much better if he have a army to attack like it was before he had 1 or 2 big armys and he fight with them against the Humans or the other AI, the second thing is if its possible to make the AI a bit harder that if he have 40 citys and lose 2 citys with population 2 and 3 that he dont ask for feedom and give also technologis to accept it, before some patches it was like that even if he lose 5 or 10% of his citys or army he wanted a city from you to stop the WAR.

here is the Savegame its a multiplayer game you can take England to play with there is a WAR with Babylon.

the Game works well but it is strange the computer is just strong but he give up very easy, also even the strong country want to be a Vasale thats also strange even if they can protect them self.

View attachment Pana n. Chr.-1245-Sommer.rar

you found on the savegame the things i wrote?

Be patient, my friend.
RAND has a very good customer support, but even our dev's time is limited.
You get the answer, when they have it. ;)

This isn't a "general purpose" oddity but....

The AI waste their Great Diplomats on Peace Treaties every time they get them in Always War games. They'll pop and then force a treaty only for the game to invalidate it at the same time - resulting in a wasted Great person since war is forced on the player the entire game.

Since it's unlikely that many people will be playing Always War games, I don't know if this is worth looking into, but if it's an easy fix (Checking to see if Always War is enabled, and if so just have them settle the person or use them for a Golden Age instead of trying to Force Peace) then maybe...? I only just now noticed it myself ^^

This isn't a "general purpose" oddity but....

The AI waste their Great Diplomats on Peace Treaties every time they get them in Always War games. They'll pop and then force a treaty only for the game to invalidate it at the same time - resulting in a wasted Great person since war is forced on the player the entire game.

Since it's unlikely that many people will be playing Always War games, I don't know if this is worth looking into, but if it's an easy fix (Checking to see if Always War is enabled, and if so just have them settle the person or use them for a Golden Age instead of trying to Force Peace) then maybe...? I only just now noticed it myself ^^
I forgot to mention it in the changelog, but this has also been fixed in Rev972.

Hi, i came back to civ 4 after few years break and i really love this mod but there is a big problem with AI.

I am playing a game (immortal,inland see,epic speed, agressive AI) and AI's doing complettly nothing during war times. Its 700 AD most AI players got massive stacks 200-300 units, some of them with around 100 trebs and they just refuse to take cities even with 5-8 defenders ! Wars all over the world but armies just moving here and there cluelessly.

Is it now common AI play or somekind of bug?

Hi, i came back to civ 4 after few years break and i really love this mod but there is a big problem with AI.

I am playing a game (immortal,inland see,epic speed, agressive AI) and AI's doing complettly nothing during war times. Its 700 AD most AI players got massive stacks 200-300 units, some of them with around 100 trebs and they just refuse to take cities even with 5-8 defenders ! Wars all over the world but armies just moving here and there cluelessly.

Is it now common AI play or somekind of bug?
Known bug, we're working on it.

This problem is about some units or all game long? Will it stop in next eras? It makes game so boring :(

This problem is about some units or all game long? Will it stop in next eras? It makes game so boring :(

We're investigating. It could be connected to siege units but I'm not sure

45°38'N-13°47'E;13841712 said:
We're investigating. It could be connected to siege units but I'm not sure

Hey 45, do you have an ETA on a fix or an idea of what the problem is ?

Warfare in CIV is pretty much pivotal so if that's broken everything else is pretty much broken too :(, every game I play now is FUBAR because even if other CIVs outnumber me militarily by a factor of 10 and bring huge doomstacks into my territory during war they just attack once at a time and I can rebuff them with about 2 or 3 units defending my city, meaning I can run a skeleton military which results in OP strategies like running extremely expensive civics or pacifism with no worries and not having to invest any production in a military.

Its also twice as bad because the AI seems to be psychotically fixed on creating huge armies nowdays in some kind of apocalyptic arms race, in recent revisions the last few months I am constantly the weakest military power in the game on Prince and Monarch (which I have played on for years with this mod) and while I should have rightly been wiped off the map every time I manage to survive and flourish.

Also just wanna say huge congrats to you and Afforress and the rest of the team on this mod, I've been playing and following it for like 6 or 7 years now, back from when Afforres used to manage it to when it temporarily died, to when you took it back up and I remember watching you try and revive it and thinking you were taking too much to chew but you've made it flourish, and I'm really impressed.
I've been on these forums almost daily for these past few years with some gaps for a few months for IRL stuff, I've just never logged on to comment, but this one has been a pretty crucial issue.

Hey 45, do you have an ETA on a fix or an idea of what the problem is ?

Warfare in CIV is pretty much pivotal so if that's broken everything else is pretty much broken too :(, every game I play now is FUBAR because even if other CIVs outnumber me militarily by a factor of 10 and bring huge doomstacks into my territory during war they just attack once at a time and I can rebuff them with about 2 or 3 units defending my city, meaning I can run a skeleton military which results in OP strategies like running extremely expensive civics or pacifism with no worries and not having to invest any production in a military.

Its also twice as bad because the AI seems to be psychotically fixed on creating huge armies nowdays in some kind of apocalyptic arms race, in recent revisions the last few months I am constantly the weakest military power in the game on Prince and Monarch (which I have played on for years with this mod) and while I should have rightly been wiped off the map every time I manage to survive and flourish.

Also just wanna say huge congrats to you and Afforress and the rest of the team on this mod, I've been playing and following it for like 6 or 7 years now, back from when Afforres used to manage it to when it temporarily died, to when you took it back up and I remember watching you try and revive it and thinking you were taking too much to chew but you've made it flourish, and I'm really impressed.
I've been on these forums almost daily for these past few years with some gaps for a few months for IRL stuff, I've just never logged on to comment, but this one has been a pretty crucial issue.
Hi, no, sorry, I don't have any ETA for the fix. Afforess and dbkblk have written that part of the code and they're both busy IRL. I don't think I can fix it by myself easily. I could try and see when the problem started (and it's not easy and quick to pinpoint the revision) and revert back those changes, but I would bring back problems that this part of the code was supposed to solve and we will have to revert it again once Afforess, dbkblk or me have figured out what the real problem is. On the other hand trying to pinpoint the revision when troubles started might give me a clue on what the problem is and possibly how to solve it. It's just a very lengthy process, at the very least (for me, maybe Afforess can spot the problem very quickly).
I'll see what I can do but serious as this bug might look, don't expect a quick fix for this from me, sorry.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13843285 said:
Hi, no, sorry, I don't have any ETA for the fix. Afforess and dbkblk have written that part of the code and they're both busy IRL. I don't think I can fix it by myself easily. I could try and see when the problem started (and it's not easy and quick to pinpoint the revision) and revert back those changes, but I would bring back problems that this part of the code was supposed to solve and we will have to revert it again once Afforess, dbkblk or me have figured out what the real problem is. On the other hand trying to pinpoint the revision when troubles started might give me a clue on what the problem is and possibly how to solve it. It's just a very lengthy process, at the very least (for me, maybe Afforess can spot the problem very quickly).
I'll see what I can do but serious as this bug might look, don't expect a quick fix for this from me, sorry.

Hey man dw, no pressure, this is a free voluntarily maintained mod after all, I appreciate the quick reply if anything.

Also anything you need extra hands with on the mod ? I play it almost exclusively and have done for a few years so I've seen it change over time and think I have a decent idea of what the overall vision you guys are aiming towards and more importantly what you dont want it to be, and I respect how you've kept true over time because most mod developers get sucked into the overambitious fantasies of their users and ruin excellent mods with bloat or catering to 'oh I want xyz shiny' or 'add my 5 minute half baked idea its really good guise' which you have managed to avoid.

I have absolutely no programming skills except basic XML editing but as I know you guys are focusing on bug squashing and polishing atm if there's anything you need eyes on maybe I can keep an eye out while I play or anything you think needs looking at balance wise I can give it a shot.

Hey man dw, no pressure, this is a free voluntarily maintained mod after all, I appreciate the quick reply if anything.

Also anything you need extra hands with on the mod ? I play it almost exclusively and have done for a few years so I've seen it change over time and think I have a decent idea of what the overall vision you guys are aiming towards and more importantly what you dont want it to be, and I respect how you've kept true over time because most mod developers get sucked into the overambitious fantasies of their users and ruin excellent mods with bloat or catering to 'oh I want xyz shiny' or 'add my 5 minute half baked idea its really good guise' which you have managed to avoid.

I have absolutely no programming skills except basic XML editing but as I know you guys are focusing on bug squashing and polishing atm if there's anything you need eyes on maybe I can keep an eye out while I play or anything you think needs looking at balance wise I can give it a shot.
Right now we're trying to fix bugs and balancing. Best thing you can do is report strange AI behaviour. Currently I'm tweaking revolutions, if you can keep an eye on its balancing. I'm going to tweak it in next revision.

For those of you reporting the problem of AI not attacking, have you also observed this problem when Aggressive AI option is active? I'm currently trying a game with this option and AI is correctly siegeing and attacking my cities, rather brutally I'd say. First time in years that I actually have to fight to defend my cities. Do you have any experience with this option?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13845832 said:
For those of you reporting the problem of AI not attacking, have you also observed this problem when Aggressive AI option is active? I'm currently trying a game with this option and AI is correctly siegeing and attacking my cities, rather brutally I'd say. First time in years that I actually have to fight to defend my cities. Do you have any experience with this option?

I always have that option on. :)

That might be why. I'm not sure that Aggressive AI is working properly.

Actually right now I'm playing with Aggressive AI and it looks like it's working as intended and AI is more aggressive and it's attacking my cities, something that didn't happen lately without that option. Rezca, does AI attack you? Is it ever able to attack or capture your cities? Are you using UPT limit?

Top Bottom