Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

If you have BUG installed in CustomAssets, it is loaded when you boot up the game, so the save games don't include it. Therefore, you can play with others online without them having it. OTOH, if you install it as a mod, then the BUG settings are in the save games, so other players also need to have it installed. Also, at least one of the BUG mod team has posted that BUG was not designed with multi player in mind, so it might or might not work in that environment.

I have to load BUG up every time I boot the game. There's a way I can change this?

to create a shortcut that will open Civ 4 with a particular mod loaded you create a shortcut to Civ 4 and put mod=/Mod_folder_name after the executable.

So for example one of my shortcuts has this in the "Target" feild of the shortcut:

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\World War II - 1939 Mod

I have to load BUG up every time I boot the game. There's a way I can change this?
When you install BUG you are offered 2 options. Don't remember the exact wording, but one installs as stand alone mod into your Mods folder, the other puts it in CustomAssets folder. By putting it into CustomAssets, it is always available automatically when you load the game. It is also available even if the game originally wasn't started with BUG, and if you start your own games with BUG in CustomAssets, other players can load those games even if they don't have BUG installed.

You can have it installed both ways, so even if you already installed into Mods folder, you can run installer again and install into CustomAssets.

But seriously, does BUG work in multiplayer-games? It alters some game-files, like i. e. :gold: from OF is fixed (normally when not having BUG or anything one gets no :gold: when one has too much OF but simply loses the :hammers: ) .

Is there a way to make balanced resources the default setting when starting a custom game? All my other preferences - game speed, victories enabled, etc. - seem to be saved; looking at the config file, there seems to be a line missing.
- :confused:

Under what circumstances should you build a work boat instead of a worker first, if ever?

When is it worthwhile to build a courthouse? Are you better off building wealth during the turns it would take to build?

Workboat depends a bit, but generally you build a workboat if your worker wouldn't have much VALUABLE things to do. Examples: If your starting techs wouldn't allow the worker to improve a food resource as soon as it's built. Or if the land-based resources aren't good enough (dry Rice or Wheat for example). In these cases workboat first can benefit you more.

Courthouses: If you want to reach a certain tech for military conquest relatively fast, building Wealth/Research for the short term instead is usually better. If you plan very long-term (like space race) then Courthouses are fine. In any case, once you have 10+ cities (less if on separate landmasses) on a level above Monarch you will really need some Courthouses to not go broke, so that's a good time to build those. Note that Sacrifical Altar (Aztec Courthouse) is well worth building before that, as is the Ziggurat (Sumerian Courthouse) because it's cheaper and the Rathaus (Holy Roman Courthouse) because it reduces upkeep even more.

Thanks for the reply.
Do you use a GPT breakpoint to decide, or is it more situational? I rarely get more than 10 or 12 cities, and only play on monarch.

When is it worthwhile to build a courthouse? Are you better off building wealth during the turns it would take to build?

I prioritize them when city maintenance gets > 12. I won't build them if maintenance is < 7. There's a rule of thumb for ya! :p

I build wealth a lot, but the problem with building wealth is that wealth output increases only with city population (more pop = more hammer tiles to work) and is capped by happiness cap, but maintenance increases with city size and number of cities and does not have a cap. IOW, if you're expanding you'll need a courthouse sooner or later, so building wealth is a temporary solution, most of the time.

No hard and fast breakpoints for GPT, but I'm strongly considering a Courthouse if a) it would save me at least 5 gold a turn b) I don't have considerably more important things to build (not Wealth but units/key building).

If you rarely go above 10-12 cities you probably win not by Domination but Space or Diplomacy - in which case your games probably last longer and don't involve as many units so Courthouses would be better to build earlier in this case.

The whole Diplomacy Window in Civ IV confuses me. I am playing the Vanilla version.

I would like to trade for some health resources. How can I do this?

I could not figure out how to trade with Montezuma for some luxury resources so I decided to attack and wipe him out.

Still need more health resources though. I have built Aqueducts and Harbors where possible.

Thanks. :)

UPDATE: After further Research I have also built some Grocers to help with the Health shortage.

You need a trade route to the AI. The option is something like "We have a trade proposal." On the next screen, whatever resources the AI is willing to trade you will be white (ones they're not willing to trade will be red) on their side of the screen (left). Click on a resource you'd like to select it. On your side (white) of the screen, resources they're willing to take are in white and those they're not are in red. You can either ask for the wanted resource for nothing (either "we demand tribute" or "could you spare this for a good friend" depending on how much the AI likes you), select one of your resources in trade ("would you accept this deal"), or (if you or the AI knows currency) offer gold per turn for the resource. Hovering over a red resource will tell you the reason why the AI won't trade with you; "we don't like you enough" is often the answer from Monty. "You must be joking" means you already have access to that resource.

Is there a way to make balanced resources the default setting when starting a custom game? All my other preferences - game speed, victories enabled, etc. - seem to be saved; looking at the config file, there seems to be a line missing.
- :confused:

Balanced Resources is not part of the basic BTS. It is installed by BUG. In the BUG options there is a check box to make it default. I don't recall which tab, as I do not like the Balanced Resources, so I don't use it. However, that is where I found it when I tried it out.

I don't know about the BUG implementation, but Balanced Resources has always been available iirc.
Tried it years ago and didn't like it because it gave each civ ONE (and only one) copper, horse, iron, etc for strategic resources. I would rather play with More resources.

(What settings are saved has always been disappointing. )

@greenbelt, are you talking about the F4 Diplomacy screen, or the diplomacy interface you open with a civ by clicking on their name (in lower right, btw the check mark hides/unhides this civ list)?
Save a game and play around with the latter. (reload if you don't like the results)

I've played balanced a few time and have never downloaded bug so it must be part of vanilla BTS.

Top Bottom