Background music is driving me mad

Walter R

Great Engineer
In my recent few games there seems to have been this awful droning dirge playing most of the time - it's like the track selector got stuck. I still get the war/peace music playing at appropriate times, it's just that every 2nd/3rd track it goes back to the dirge - I'm starting to worry that it's become my theme tune!

Now this is probably a forlorn hope, but does anyone know how to influence the track selection?

The nation you pick matters.

I don't think that's the issue here, as I'm playing England (as I usually do). Maybe I need to go online? (I usually play offline). The rest of the game seems to be playing as normal.

England does have a track that`s a particularly boring dirge and has sometimes forced me to turn it off until there`s a war (the war music is good). I wish there was a way to put in our own music. You can play music if you have tracks separately on the PC at the same time, I suppose.

p.s. I also play Offline too.

I've been hearing a particular track as Pocatello when I'm at war.

It's a single voice, no music, consisting only of a long, sustained 'oooooooooooh' that descends steadily in tone.

Very, very eerie and ghost-like. :eek2:

I've been hearing a particular track as Pocatello when I'm at war.

It's a single voice, no music, consisting only of a long, sustained 'oooooooooooh' that descends steadily in tone.

Very, very eerie and ghost-like. :eek2:

The native American civs have a track in which it sounds like someone is gurgling water or trying to stretch out a burp as long as possible... when that one comes on, I consider declaring war on someone just to hear some new tunes.

I'd go to the options, turn the music down and put the radio on.

You could listen to something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDD8x34T62g&list=PLL2_QPP3jkeV_PWWWm7BehT3id7sAkxrL

Alternately you could get into modding. I set this as the Swedish War theme just because I could:

^ :agree:

I personally have no ill with CiV music due to my high tolerance on what other might consider bad. But if you don't like the music you can turn it off and listen to something better, or you can mod it.

You can be like me, I playing EU4 and found their fine but small collection music very tedious after played the game for several hundreds of hours. While I play as Gujarat and their mention of Garba music (Garba!) so I turn of their music and listen the Garba music I google instead.

One of these days I'll have to play a game of Civ with my speakers turned on, just to see what all the fuss is about. I usually have them turned off since I play while watching TV, so I have no idea which themes are cool and which would make me want to do a double Van Gogh-ectomy.

Does "modding" simply mean copying in your own MP3s into the folder(s) where the music is stored? Or do you have to edit some playlist file as well?

I change the game files. Each civ has an XML file that outlines the war and peace playlist and you can add your own music in ogg format. I've been thinking of writing a guide on how to do this because I've found it does a lot to enhance the experience.

I change the game files. Each civ has an XML file that outlines the war and peace playlist and you can add your own music in ogg format. I've been thinking of writing a guide on how to do this because I've found it does a lot to enhance the experience.

That would be useful. :) As I tried this and got stumped. In some games you just drop in your mp3 files, but not so easy here... :(

It's relatively easy, all you need is a way to convert to ogg and a text editor. As far as replacing an annoying existing track, simply replacing the file with another ogg file works. Since most of my music library is already in ogg vorbis it's no trouble for me.

American Indians have the worst music track, the one that's oooo yaa, oooo oo-oo, oooo ya, over and over and over.

It's relatively easy, all you need is a way to convert to ogg and a text editor. As far as replacing an annoying existing track, simply replacing the file with another ogg file works. Since most of my music library is already in ogg vorbis it's no trouble for me.

I think it would be even easier to convert music you want to replace/rename the music to be the same name and place of original music.

The native American civs have a track in which it sounds like someone is gurgling water or trying to stretch out a burp as long as possible... when that one comes on, I consider declaring war on someone just to hear some new tunes.

actually that song is called "Heavy Gurgling" so it hit the nail on the head

Dido is the one that drives me crazy. un pata un a pata un a pata? da? We comelata. GAAAAH!!! I have to press mute on my keyboard if she is offering me a trade.

Top Bottom