Are Caravans affected by rough terrain or roads?

Athenaeum

Prince
I read the Iroquois page on the Civ wiki and it says this about them:

"Caravans move along Forest and Jungle as if they were Roads."

This seems to imply that caravans behave differently when traveling on roads. How do roads affect caravans, and do railroads provide an even larger effect on caravan yields?

Oh yeah, one more thing...the wiki also says that caravans provide more gold when opening up to cities on rivers...does this mean they only get bonus gold when they travel TO cities on rivers, not FROM?

Caravan range is simply movement points and is affected by terrain costs, so roads do what roads do for regular units. Rivers affect TR income for the owner of the city on the river, whether that is the TR owner or recipient.

Caravan range is 10 cells, regardless of terrain (except mountains and water, which are unpassable and can affect the 10-cell limit). Roads extend that range, although I'm not sure up to what extent (GenuineRisk could be right about treating their movement points similar to how units walk on roads). The Iroquois UA simply treats forest and jungle tiles as roads for the purpose of extending caravan range.

Caravan range is 10 cells, regardless of terrain (except mountains and water, which are unpassable and can affect the 10-cell limit). Roads extend that range, although I'm not sure up to what extent (GenuineRisk could be right about treating their movement points similar to how units walk on roads). The Iroquois UA simply treats forest and jungle tiles as roads for the purpose of extending caravan range.
You're right about the terrain part. I don't know why I thought that terrain mattered - maybe I was thinking about my experience on mountainous maps. Roads definitely do extend caravan range though, which I'm sure everyone's experienced after connecting their cities by road.

Top Bottom