That's it - Liberty is complete utter worthless trash

I agree that a skilled player can make Liberty work on any map. But maps where one cannot found 6+ cities are not exactly rare, and that is what I understood OP to be complaining about. A single continents or hemispheres map where you start out isolated is enough to prove OP premise false. But posting maps that are “non-Liberty friendly” won’t prove anything unless we agree as to what that term means!

Its indeed nonsense anyways. Its not about proving that you can or cannot play liberty. Indeed, being able to win depends on the player vs difficulty level foremost, quite possibly limiting oneself to liberty might lower the difficulty level you can beat a notch on some maps while not on others. (and probably never reversed)

Its about Tradition being significantly better in the vast majority of situations which i believe is the truth.
And thats of course in a game where the other 2 options are never even mentioned anymore in a balance discussion. We act like those simply dont exist.

I'm in agreement with Chum that those are basically supposed to be supplementary trees, honor and piety. And I guess that in a single player environment tradition stands a little bit better of a chance than liberty. But liberty played right always ends up better; with tradition, you need good city spots way more than in liberty, people who don't play liberty saying there's nowhere to plant liberty cities need some assistance in liberty city placement. All you need for liberty is 1 lux, unique or otherwise, that can feed the initial planting of the city. Sources of local happiness support further growth, of which there are several. You need 1-3 hills, preferably to settle on and next to, and 1-3 good growth tiles. This is it. A river nearby can supplement the growth tiles, but internal trade routes supplement everything else. Liberty cities can be built in the middle of the desert, and in dense jungles, and in city-state cramped tundra. All you need, as in actually NEED, to make liberty work, is a lux, a hill to plant and a hill to work, and something for growth.
For tradition you need a hill, a river, a mountain, two luxuries to support the population growth, four growth tiles to provide the population growth, a natural wonder... I mean I'm exaggerating but you can't argue liberty also allows for much more versatile city placement. With tradition there are far more prerequisites to constitute a worthy city spot.

Also, a lot of the time I expanded hard I got attacked immediately, and if I'm going to spend a lot of effort destroying a civ's military, then I might as well go an conquer them, right? So I didn't need Liberty to do that.

This is an important thing for new wide players to get used too. (Not saying you don't do this but I'll spell it out for everyone following this thread). The AI hates it when you overexpand. Nearly everyone who knows you, and especially neighbors will get a negative diplo hit saying something like "they believe you are building cities too aggressively!" This often results in jealousy and war so you need to keep a larger force on hand to protect your far-flung empire. This should be obvious given how spread out and little your cities are in the beginning. They are easy to conquer if you don't prepare for invasions.

Usually the good strategy for early-game is keep selling all those extra resources that come in from playing wide. I sell off all my extra luxes, horses, and iron meaning I get really nice gpt early-game. Sometimes towards 60 gpt even before markets. I use these to cash-buy archers and military when they are cheap among other things so I don't have to waste many turns with cities on military. These after training on the barbs and upgrading to comps will provide a sizeable veteran force for your empire. You might also consider pre-building walls on vulnerable border cities since the smaller population makes them easier to take. Then after the pyramids and road connections station defense troops in positions on the borders and centrally where they can reach any city in 2-3 turns for backup. This is what I do and I generally have no problems with invasions even with a large empire. The fact that you have a larger empire to protect generally means your military is much stronger as well. On my current game I'm just trying to protect my lands but my military is above the average on demographics. Never let yoru military score be last. That + being big makes you the target of everyone. But many players don't realize they need to change up their bad habits learned protecting the easy small empires so it does take a few games to get the balance right. These days I can basically predict every backstab and attack I've played so long. And if I want, generally prevent it from happening. But honestly, I find it more fun just to let them prepare and attack me. It's more fun then bribing them off to some other war when you notice they are looking suspicious and I love destroying waves of troops and practicing war tactics. It feels good to get those high-level upgrades like blitz, range, and logistics. :D

You keep saying this over and over. You are wrong. Even if one could locate spots for 6 cities, you still may not need liberty anyway.

I suspect you both are using different criteria for "better". ;)
Usually when someone says tradition plays "better" they mean it has early growth gains and thus gets a bit ahead on tech and wins a SV faster. It is also pretty reliable, generally working as a strategy every game.

When he says "liberty" eventually always becomes "better" he's right too. It may not win the absolute fastest science race (if that's your criteria is launching the ship) but a liberty game played well has a better science RATE by the end. You can easily be launching the ship in the 1800s, sometimes quite early. Tradition generally is plateuing in the end due to growth getting slower and slower in those 3-4 cities and relies on scientists to bulb through and win quickly. But my wide games science gets faster and faster. I can be researching future techs in just 3-4 turns by the end. It can be 50%, maybe even 100% faster at science rate by the end which makes you wonder which is actually better. Does the time matter or the strength of the empire? Certainly, liberty/wide has higher scores so the game says you did better. And it is also better on at least two of the victory conditions. The fastest cultural wins are liberty games (sacred sites victory), and the best conquest games are liberty. I'm not talking about sniping all the captals at once at the end of the game when you get ahead on tech. I'm talking about actually conquering the whole world and keeping happy and productive. Liberty allows you to war all game which is why it is the ONLY choice for conquest on larger maps. Diplo either can win, it really depends on how fast you get the liberty empire running whether it looks impressive to the CS, but generally your faith/culture output is higher. It really has more to do with money though which is why I think the VC is boring.

So again, what is your criteria for "better"? I and others tend to think "better" means you built a stronger, more powerful empire. But some people only consider victory time in that equation. These people generally don't play multiplayer games or they'd know some of the reasons why liberty is a popular choice in that setting. Humans are smarter and won't let you tech ahead peacefully. They'll take advantage of your tiny army and predictability to kill you. Then again, even with a big army they'd kill you. It's basically mind games on multiplayer. But that doesn't mean it's worse. I suspect politics was pretty important in real history too. :)

I'm in agreement with Chum that those are basically supposed to be supplementary trees, honor and piety. And I guess that in a single player environment tradition stands a little bit better of a chance than liberty. But liberty played right always ends up better; with tradition, you need good city spots way more than in liberty, people who don't play liberty saying there's nowhere to plant liberty cities need some assistance in liberty city placement. All you need for liberty is 1 lux, unique or otherwise, that can feed the initial planting of the city. Sources of local happiness support further growth, of which there are several. You need 1-3 hills, preferably to settle on and next to, and 1-3 good growth tiles. This is it. A river nearby can supplement the growth tiles, but internal trade routes supplement everything else. Liberty cities can be built in the middle of the desert, and in dense jungles, and in city-state cramped tundra. All you need, as in actually NEED, to make liberty work, is a lux, a hill to plant and a hill to work, and something for growth.
For tradition you need a hill, a river, a mountain, two luxuries to support the population growth, four growth tiles to provide the population growth, a natural wonder... I mean I'm exaggerating but you can't argue liberty also allows for much more versatile city placement. With tradition there are far more prerequisites to constitute a worthy city spot.

I invite you to watch the results of current months GOTM by the end of the month. (130)
We shall see if tradition is going to be the winner, but your claim about the tradition requirements for settling makes me laugh as i am just playing this game. I dont think im alowed to say more about it if this wasnt too much already.

As for the rest of the discussion im not gonna take part in. Its all just throwing around claims without backup. If you want to know whats better, take a look at all 130 GOTM winners and see how many are tradition and how many are liberty.

And yes, i talk about single player. Multiplayer is a different game. I think they should actually have seperate forums for it. Oh, they do.

I suspect you both are using different criteria for "better". ;)
Usually when someone says tradition plays "better" they mean it has early growth gains and thus gets a bit ahead on tech and wins a SV faster. It is also pretty reliable, generally working as a strategy every game.

When he says "liberty" eventually always becomes "better" he's right too. It may not win the absolute fastest science race (if that's your criteria is launching the ship) but a liberty game played well has a better science RATE by the end. You can easily be launching the ship in the 1800s, sometimes quite early. Tradition generally is plateuing in the end due to growth getting slower and slower in those 3-4 cities and relies on scientists to bulb through and win quickly. But my wide games science gets faster and faster. I can be researching future techs in just 3-4 turns by the end. It can be 50%, maybe even 100% faster at science rate by the end which makes you wonder which is actually better. Does the time matter or the strength of the empire? Certainly, liberty/wide has higher scores so the game says you did better. And it is also better on at least two of the victory conditions. The fastest cultural wins are liberty games (sacred sites victory), and the best conquest games are liberty. I'm not talking about sniping all the captals at once at the end of the game when you get ahead on tech. I'm talking about actually conquering the whole world and keeping happy and productive. Liberty allows you to war all game which is why it is the ONLY choice for conquest on larger maps. Diplo either can win, it really depends on how fast you get the liberty empire running whether it looks impressive to the CS, but generally your faith/culture output is higher. It really has more to do with money though which is why I think the VC is boring.

So again, what is your criteria for "better"? I and others tend to think "better" means you built a stronger, more powerful empire. But some people only consider victory time in that equation. These people generally don't play multiplayer games or they'd know some of the reasons why liberty is a popular choice in that setting. Humans are smarter and won't let you tech ahead peacefully. They'll take advantage of your tiny army and predictability to kill you. Then again, even with a big army they'd kill you. It's basically mind games on multiplayer. But that doesn't mean it's worse. I suspect politics was pretty important in real history too. :)

Tradition gives you both a faster and better chance of winning over liberty.

Since when did "tradition is better than liberty most games" become "liberty is complete utter worthless trash"?

Of course tradition is better because it is the safest and easiest route to victory, but that doesn't mean that liberty is worthless.

Since when did "tradition is better than liberty most games" become "liberty is complete utter worthless trash"?

Of course tradition is better because it is the safest and easiest route to victory, but that doesn't mean that liberty is worthless.

The inthesomeday guy has been trying to claim liberty "played right always ends up better [than tradition]".

The reason why many of the elite players who write guides for us will be able to trounce any map posted is because social policies are only buffs and are not railroads to victory. I think some of the best on here can win a Deity match without taking a single social policy. I'd actually love to see that, it'd be quite crazy to see. I've lost plenty of deity 4 city tradition games to know this myself, better build choices, better build placement, and better reactionary choices to what the map and the enemies give you are what make a Civilization player great.

The key to winning is building a high population happy empire in a great location with enough units to keep invaders out until you win, and every map and CIV affects this differently. This game just isn't built for cookie-cutter strategies, there is too much going on.

Cite some math or some evidence, tradition supporters. Talking about things that have happened in the past or current popular trends is not evidence. Tradition is "safer" because its play discourages risks, and people therefore don't take risks. If we wanna talk about psychology, then tradition is better because people are more likely to play fun Sim City games. But we're talking about a mathematically comparable and measurable situation here. And I did some math, maybe it was very little math and can be easily refuted with further mathematics, but it's the only piece of provable evidence here. Show me examples with evidence, I'd love a side by side comparison wherein tradition ends up better. Tradition is more popular on SP because people are lazy and like safe options, and tradition is consistently mediocre rather than liberty which can be far superior with the right experience and skill.

Cite some math or some evidence, tradition supporters. Talking about things that have happened in the past or current popular trends is not evidence. Tradition is "safer" because its play discourages risks, and people therefore don't take risks. If we wanna talk about psychology, then tradition is better because people are more likely to play fun Sim City games. But we're talking about a mathematically comparable and measurable situation here. And I did some math, maybe it was very little math and can be easily refuted with further mathematics, but it's the only piece of provable evidence here. Show me examples with evidence, I'd love a side by side comparison wherein tradition ends up better. Tradition is more popular on SP because people are lazy and like safe options, and tradition is consistently mediocre rather than liberty which can be far superior with the right experience and skill.

Just win some GOTMs for us please or show is how the winners are usually using liberty.

Results > math > words > bad math*

I have seen only words here. Also from you.

*This matter is too complicated to make good math very feasible, which is probably why we arent seeing any of it.

What is a GOTM? I wouldn't mind showing some of my games at some point if I get the hardware to record. I'm not amazing but I can definitely beat immortal pretty much any game or random start with liberty. It's not that tough. Deity I play less but it's definitely winnable, esp. if you war to weaken the AI. This is I why I can reliably say what I say. I, however, am not claiming I can win a faster science game, just that I can win solidly. I can claim that I can win a faster conquest and cultural VC though, so don't tell me tradition is always better because it isn't. Science is only one way of playing the game. In my experience my empire is stronger at the end of a liberty game in science and culture rate than on a tradition game as well. If there was another age I'd actually probably beat out tradition on win time.

My games are usually more for laid-back fun though, and usually I'm not playing liberty because I think it's stronger but becuase I find it more fun and eventful. I'm usually just experimenting and just rolling as things come. I don't even bother to bribe the AI to war anymore. I like them attacking me. My playstyle has really changed over the years from thinking "optimally" to just playing for fun. Steam says I've logged 400 hours or more so that may be it. :p

What is a GOTM? I wouldn't mind showing some of my games at some point if I get the hardware to record. I'm not amazing but I can definitely beat immortal pretty much any game or random start with liberty. It's not that tough. Deity I play less but it's definitely winnable, esp. if you war to weaken the AI. This is I why I can reliably say what I say. I, however, am not claiming I can win a faster science game, just that I can win solidly. I can claim that I can win a faster conquest and cultural VC though, so don't tell me tradition is always better because it isn't. Science is only one way of playing the game. In my experience my empire is stronger at the end of a liberty game in science and culture rate than on a tradition game as well. If there was another age I'd actually probably beat out tradition on win time.

My games are usually more for laid-back fun though, and usually I'm not playing liberty because I think it's stronger but becuase I find it more fun and eventful. I'm usually just experimenting and just rolling as things come. I don't even bother to bribe the AI to war anymore. I like them attacking me. My playstyle has really changed over the years from thinking "optimally" to just playing for fun. Steam says I've logged 400 hours or more so that may be it. :p

GOTM = Game of the Month.
Its a competition that exists for more than a decade on this website.

The sites moderators or admins create a map for everyone to download. They tell you what victory type you need to win for the competition. Everyone then has 1 month to play this same map and compete for who can win the fastest.
They do it twice a month now, every first of the month they create a map on emperor-deity and every 15th they create a map on one of the lower difficulties.

With a little luck, the top competetors post what they have done and why they have done it to get their top results.

There are some awesomely good players there. In civ5 i have not yet won one of these GOTMs, but it is my mission to do so ;)

In civ3 we also had SGOTMs (succesion game of the months) In those games we competed with teams of 6 players who each play sets of 10 turns. It turned into a very fierce competition where every tiny move and detail was discussed into oblivion in the team threads before anyone was allowed to make a move. (usually 5-10 pages of discussion before a player would start doing their 10 turn session with everyone contributing with excel sheets etc to analyse all the options) In my view, that was the highest level of (single player) play you can ever imagine in civ and it was very educational both for all the team members as the people who would read those threads.
I find it extremely unfortunate we dont have this in civ5.
(If you click on my name and find posts, you only have to go till page 4-5 to find these GOTMs and see what i talk about) If enough people feel like that should happen again, we should create a lobby to make it happen.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=563568&page=3 Is the current Game Of The Month, they do two per month. First of the month is immortal or Deity, middle is prince to emperor.

Also, here is the current IAG http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=563678 and CDG http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=563727 which are the unofficial game series that follow the same spirit but are more relaxed (kind of). I enjoy them a lot, I just don't have time to get through them.

GOTM = Game of the Month.
Its a competition that exists for more than a decade on this website.

The sites moderators or admins create a map for everyone to download. They tell you what victory type you need to win for the competition. Everyone then has 1 month to play this same map and compete for who can win the fastest.
They do it twice a month now, every first of the month they create a map on emperor-deity and every 15th they create a map on one of the lower difficulties.

With a little luck, the top competetors post what they have done and why they have done it to get their top results.

There are some awesomely good players there. In civ5 i have not yet won one of these GOTMs, but it is my mission to do so ;)

In civ3 we also had SGOTMs (succesion game of the months) In those games we competed with teams of 6 players who each play sets of 10 turns. It turned into a very fierce competition where every tiny move and detail was discussed into oblivion in the team threads before anyone was allowed to make a move. (usually 5-10 pages of discussion before a player would start doing their 10 turn session with everyone contributing with excel sheets etc to analyse all the options) In my view, that was the highest level of (single player) play you can ever imagine in civ and it was very educational both for all the team members as the people who would read those threads.
I find it extremely unfortunate we dont have this in civ5.
(If you click on my name and find posts, you only have to go till page 4-5 to find these GOTMs and see what i talk about) If enough people feel like that should happen again, we should create a lobby to make it happen.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=408 There is a lobby for it, just not a competition. Its very interesting, they go in-depth but its not a competition like the CIV 3 ones were. Just fun games to talk about and play one 20 turn session in a row, I want to get into the next one if there is one, the current one is kind of stuck.

Top Bottom