questions questions and more questions

brown040613

Chieftain
Ok first off just got game installed. Went setup earth map and went choose number players and one side has thst then higher number city states. What are city states? What are best maps? I loved alot players are civ 3 and 4 when played.

City states are unplayable "minor civilizations" (as compared to the "major civs" that are playable). The function they serve is to add some flavor and texture to the game, as sources of minor bonuses and as diplomatic foils for interactions among major civs (disputes about who gets to befriend or ally this or that CS and earn the associated bonuses; CSs as allies in wars between major civs; CSs as objects of conquest and subsequent liberation; etc.). In a sense, they play the same role as real-life minor civs, who had to try to exist alongside their neighboring behemoth civs.

You can also send trade routes to CSs for a bit of gold (less gold than when you trade with major civs). CSs also play a role in the diplomatic victory (players get extra votes in the World Congress from their CS allies).

Typical map setup has twice the number of CSs as major civs. So a standard sized map will have 8 major civs and 16 CSs. (CSs cannot found additional cities, so they occupy less room on the map than the major civs.)

A word to the wise: you can declare war on a city state to steal a worker or to just level up your troops, but DONT TAKE THE CITY. The penalties for capping a CS are enormous relative to the slight benefit.

I would never play earth map. One of my fave things about Civ is that you don't know at all what the map looks like in the beginning. This makes it more fun, interesting, and challenging to me. In fact, I've played mostly on Pangaea and cannot wait to be comfortable with randomizing map type to add even further intrigue to the exploration and planning aspects of the game.

I would never play earth map. One of my fave things about Civ is that you don't know at all what the map looks like in the beginning. This makes it more fun, interesting, and challenging to me. In fact, I've played mostly on Pangaea and cannot wait to be comfortable with randomizing map type to add even further intrigue to the exploration and planning aspects of the game.

Random map type would be wonderful but there are just so many garbage map scripts. Arboreal, Rainforest, Great Plains... All terrible. And more yet are only better for multiplayer teamers.

A word to the wise: you can declare war on a city state to steal a worker or to just level up your troops, but DONT TAKE THE CITY. The penalties for capping a CS are enormous relative to the slight benefit.

That is only true for the 2nd CS that you capture. You can declare and capture 1 CS without any major penalties other than the normal minor warmongering penalty.

True, but it's also fun to play some of the continents and nations maps. My favorite map is the Europe map. Large Inland Sea with access to the oceans. Not all civs will be coastal. Very diverse and distinct areas in terms of types of lands and resources.

i think capturing a CS at any point in time nets you a sizable warmonger penalty with any civs you've met, it's declaring war on your first CS that has virtually no downside if you don't capture it

declaring war on a second CS (you don't have to capture it) makes city states wary

I captured a CS in my last game with out major repurcussions. I only pissed off the AI when I took Portugal Capital. Even that wore off in about 50 turns.

i think capturing a CS at any point in time nets you a sizable warmonger penalty with any civs you've met
It is no more sizeable warmonger penalty than it would be for killing off an AI that had a single city. So significant, but not diplomancy killing by any means, especially if you do it early.

If capturing a single CS is your only warmongering (no other DOWs even), you won’t even see a light red diplo hit with any of the AIs.

Top Bottom