The Barbarians as a tribe?

Theov

Deity
Is it possible to make a Barbarian tribe that is at always war with the rest of the world, only build military units and never develops anything?
Like the barbs in Civ1 behaved really and I think like they did in Civ4.

In the editor I can go a long way with making an aggressive civ, but I can't find the 'is never at peace' part :)

Is it possible to make a Barbarian tribe that is at always war with the rest of the world, only build military units and never develops anything?
Like the barbs in Civ1 behaved really and I think like they did in Civ4.

In the editor I can go a long way with making an aggressive civ, but I can't find the 'is never at peace' part :)

Give them units with hidden nationality. This was done in the playground mod. The no buildings part may be hard because if those cities get large enough you're going to need them for happiness.

Give them units with hidden nationality. This was done in the playground mod. The no buildings part may be hard because if those cities get large enough you're going to need them for happiness.

thanks, I think I'll do that with the Celts or Vikings. Make their UU of hidden nationality.
That'd be fun.
I already made all combat ships hidden; makes for a more fun naval experience.

On the Earth Map I'm playing, I've given both the Vikings and the Celts (Celts are moved to Australia) both of their UUs and both have Hidden Nationality.
(Berserker and Gallic Swordsman)
Any suggestions which I can add to them to make 2 Barbaric tribes?

In Civ4, the barbarians actually would develop, just (usually) slower than the other players. On rare occasions they'd even complete Wonders.

Depending on what exactly you're going for, some other ideas would be giving them different units (ex. cheaper, but perhaps weaker ones, or workers that could only do certain worker tasks, such as not being able to railroad), and perhaps giving them unique buildings that produced less culture or no culture. The latter likely would be possible by giving the barbarians a unique government (with a non-researchable prerequisite technology that only they started with), discouraging them from other governments via setting the flavours for Monarchy/Republic/Democracy/Communism/Fascism to exclude their flavour, and setting them to shun Feudalism, and then making the barbarian buildings require their government, and set building flavours to favor barbarian buildings for their flavour.

The caveat is that while that would exclude non-barbarians from building barbarian buildings (due to not having the barbarian government), it wouldn't totally exclude barbarians from also building non-barbarian buildings. On pre-built maps, you could probably do that for the most part by requiring a "civilized" resource that you could pre-place on the map where civilized players were located. By also making that resource require a technology that only civilized civilizations were granted (and could not be researched), I think you could ensure that barbarians could never build non-barbarian buildings, even if they captured a civilized capital (since culture buildings are destroyed on capture).

A lot of this is rather theoretical, but I'd be curious to hear if it does work in practice as well as in theory. If it does, it avoids the perhaps less-desirable option of creating separate tech trees, as Firaxis did in the Middle Ages scenario.

Try searching the Creation & Customization forums. I have a distant memory of someone who had a mod to make the barbarians playable, but I may have confused that with a Civ4 mod trying to achieve the same goal.

Top Bottom