10 Luxury Start

Kevin J

Hewer of Wood
I just had to post this up. A casual game I rolled up tonight, Kamehameha on emperor /standard size/marathon speed settings. Map is the Earth map, but modded to have all natural wonders and a hill instead of a mountain between North and South America. Resources and goodies are set to random in the map, so this start was just generated by the regular resource script.

Here is the start I got, with 10 total luxuries within the potential culture borders of the city, 5 of which are unique. I've got nothing to say but wow.

Spoiler :

EDIT: Correction, it's an 11 luxury start. The city is settled on another Sugar.

Sugar x 6
Cotton x 2
Marble
Spices
Incense

Here's the save file.

It was generated with two mods on, I don't know if they're needed. The mods were:

SmoothPack (V.2) (UI and unit promotion mod - ranged promotions convert to melee when a crossbowman converts to a rifleman, for example)

No XP Cap from Barbarians (v.1). (Self-explanatory).

Why no XP cap? Because for a casual game, it's fun. :)

Other game settings (for anyone inclined to try this)

28 City States
Promotion Saving
Policy Saving
New Random Seed on Reload
Raging Barbs
Random Personalities

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    459 KB · Views: 88
I'm far more interested in the map file. I've wanted a mod that has all natural wonders, regardless of size. The hills between N and S America is great. Be nice too, if El Dorado and the Fountain of Youth are randomly located. Gives the poor player stuck in the New World something to cheer about.

Fountain of Youth is in Florida and El Dorado is in Bolivia.

Is that where they should go? I just threw them in somewhere down in that big jungle in south america.

@TheHarshax: Just open up the worldbuilder, load the Earth map of the size you wish (in the /steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization v/assets/maps folder) and throw down the natural wonders. Save the map file with a new name and choose it as your map when you create your game. That's all I did (and added some scattered atolls since the water looked bare).

If you want to add start locations and the like, you can go ahead, but you'll need to load the game as a scenario for that to work.

I tried to upload what I did in case you didn't want to use the worldbuilder, but civfanatics won't take the file type of civ5 maps for uploads. But seriously it takes less than 5 minutes to add natural wonders to an existing map, just use the plopper tool in the worldbuilder.

We had a lucky draw in a Succession Game. Not quite the cluster of luxuries you've got there, but still 5 different ones. And it wasn't quite the starting spot either, but just west of it, where we founded Memphis.
This was on a completely randomly generated fractal map, small size:

Sugar
Gems
Marble
Gold (x2)
Dyes

5 sheep-hills
horses

A nice river flowing through it

The wider area was much poorer. The resources, especially luxes, seemed to have clustered here a bit.

I just had to post this up. A casual game I rolled up tonight, Kamehameha on emperor /standard size/marathon speed settings. Map is the Earth map, but modded to have all natural wonders and a hill instead of a mountain between North and South America. Resources and goodies are set to random in the map, so this start was just generated by the regular resource script.

Here is the start I got, with 10 total luxuries within the potential culture borders of the city, 5 of which are unique. I've got nothing to say but wow.

Spoiler :

EDIT: Correction, it's an 11 luxury start. The city is settled on another Sugar.

Thats the songai TSL start!
The problem is where you're gonna go from there?
Dessert to the north, dense jungle to the south, ect...

We had a lucky draw in a Succession Game. Not quite the cluster of luxuries you've got there, but still 5 different ones. And it wasn't quite the starting spot either, but just west of it, where we founded Memphis.

<snip>

Much more rounded start. Great food & production on top of the luxuries.

The game played out far too easily with the 11 luxury start I linked - I didn't continue past medieval. The fact that there's a stranded CS settler just south of my capital was just the icing on the cake - that free worker got those luxuries hooked up fast, allowed a fast rush-buy of another, and then the gold just went crazy. Just *rolling* in the gold - literally thousands of gold in the first 100 turns. I would like a start like that on a Deity game.... it's ridiculous overkill at Emperor.

@Mods: I'm Kamehameha! Water was no barrier to me! Seriously, I just explored the world, used my ridiculous money to buy an army, and conquered.

North would be better for military expansion because Europe and Middle-East are easily accessible from there, south would be better for peaceful expansion.

Other than the fact that this is obviously a loaded map...

cotton and other calendar type lux's tend to cluster a lot. 3-4 each isn't hard to find some times. So if you happen to roll two clusters, well :)

the rest seems overly poor design, but since you're playing the Earth map on a standard size, everything gets squished in.

North would be better for military expansion because Europe and Middle-East are easily accessible from there, south would be better for peaceful expansion.

Both are the right choices.

you take the middle east to 'lock in' Africa for your own expansion. (makes more sense on a huge map) Then you plant right in the middle of the jungles and TP them for the science/gold.

Yeah, I'll take Memphis. That thing is a beast, especially at lower levels where you desperately need as many unique luxuries as possible.

Had you moved 1 hex to the left you'd have picked up that other spice without losing any of the other luxuries.

I usually hate starts like those, because to a certain extent victory is guaranteed.

6x sugar!! your citizens are going to be obese and suffer from diabetes :(

can deserts have cotton, without floodplains,?

Top Bottom