Funny Pictures XXV: Rehosted from somewhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

I tried it on my Casio calculator (fx-115 ES) and I got 9.

I assume the second some how thinks 2(1+2)≡2/(1+2). I have never come across this notation before (it only happens with the ÷ sign) but it could be a recognised notation?

Well, it's ambiguous.

6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3)

Precedence obviously changed for the calculator. Maybe because of outrage from maths peeps.

I'm thinking 9 should be correct, myself.

Yeah, it's 9.

Should be posted in the "Serious Pictures" thread. Seriously, this is not "funny". It's a serious issue.

It's definitely 9, the 2 is out of parenthesis and the 1+2 is in, it can be read as 6/2*(1+2) just as it can be read (1+2)*6/2.

There's a reason that when doing an equation the denominator is under the nominator and not in the side, and it's to avoid these issues that happen with the division symbol or with the / sideways.

The correct answer is 9 btw.

It depends on how you solve it. If you follow order of operations (PEMDAS), the answer is one. If you solve it from left to right, the answer is nine. It's ambiguous at best.

Keeping it legal.

I assume the second some how thinks 2(1+2)≡2/(1+2). I have never come across this notation before (it only happens with the ÷ sign) but it could be a recognised notation?

It is 9. Somehow the calculator on the left thinks that the parentheses are part of a divisor.

You don't have to remind everyone of my maths fail :lol:

Dunno if this will work

EDIT: Nope.

EDIT2: Yay!

It depends on how you solve it. If you follow order of operations (PEMDAS), the answer is one. If you solve it from left to right, the answer is nine. It's ambiguous at best.

Multiplication and division have equal priority (over here the mnemonic for order of operations is BODMAS). When this sort of thing crops up they should be evaluated left to right, giving 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom