Speed

walletta

King
The other day, I think it was Lanzelot, someone mentioned finishing a game by 50AD. What? :confused: I think my best is about 1600 or thereabouts. How the heck do you do it? I know Lanzelot is a professional warmonger so I assume these are domination wins. I thought I would describe how I go about knocking off the enemy and invite critique to see if I can win faster.

In my current game (Babylon, small Pangea, emperor level) there are only three Civs left. Me to the South, roughly, India in the middle and England to the North. India has most turf but I have the lead in tech. pop and culture. My army is described as 'average' by the MA in relation to both England and India, which means it is superior as the MA counts all kinds of irrelevant crap - like boats for instance and garrisons in far off crap towns. England and I are at war with India. I have bombers (lots!) and India has none, nor any air defence. I also have tons of artillery and four or five armies (2 cavalry, 1 of pikes, 1 of MW and I yet to be assigned some units).

So, basically, the game is over but I have the tedious task of polishing off India and, if necessary later, England. It is about 1750. Culture win is in 1912 and coming down slowly.

My basic method:

I bomb and shell the approaches to the closest enemy towns, usually no more than two at a time, leaving only a single road from my direction. I bomb and shell the town itself and capture it. I march in. If there is nothing of value then I raze and plant my own settler (a frequent problem with this is that, after razing, the next enemy town's culture stops me settling in the locus of the razed one - is there a way of telling beforehand whether that will happen?). Then I build a road and rail in the direction of the next target and repeat the process. Basically, that's it. Sort of linear. The bombers also take out all reachable resources and luxuries when there is nothing better to do. I mainly use artillery for harming roaming enemy units and cavalry to polish them off, obviously preferring elite cavalry when available to get more GMLs.

I rarely capture two towns on the same line of advance successively on the same turn. Maybe I should be leaving an exit road intact as well as the entry road but I like to deprive the enemy of the ability to reinforce town 1.

It s slow but steady. Correction, steady but slow. I rarely lose any units and generally wait while the artillery catches up and maybe moves onto enemy terrain (if necessary) to get close enough for a shot.

Improvements please.

I thought I would describe how I go about knocking off the enemy and invite critique to see if I can win faster.*snip*

My basic method:

I bomb and shell the approaches to the closest enemy towns, usually no more than two at a time, leaving only a single road from my direction.
Your advance would be much faster if you left the exit road intact, especially if you have a defensive Army available. The AI is extremely reluctant to attack any Army that still has >5HP remaining (if <5HP, the AI may treat the Army as if it was a single-unit Elite, so may attack, if it has an attacker with a decent A-value compared to the Army's D-value), and will almost never attack high-D Armies, if they have >3HP left. So after you've captured the first town ('Target1'), you can just march your defensive Army straight through to the new border on the other side, followed by any fast-attack units that still have MP, and any bombardment units that haven't yet been fired. If that's now the only road from enemy territory to Target1, incoming attackers/ reinforcements will be forced to go off-road, which will slow them down signifcantly (and also give your Armies -- and Cav-/Tank-equivalents or ModArm if you have them -- a chance to take a potshot as the enemy units go past).
I rarely capture two towns on the same line of advance successively on the same turn.
If you want to assault multiple cities on a single turn, you'll need to keep your attack-stack at maximum MP for as long as possible/ as many target-cities as possible. Therefore, you should avoid stack-moving into enemy territory -- wherever possible, keep the majority of your stack (including any offensive-unit Armies) within your borders/ neutral territory, and bring them against the (next) target-city one at a time, rather than stack-moving. That way, once the city is yours, only the 'spent' attackers have used MP, and (if they don't have the Blitz ability, and/or have lost most of their MP/HP) can then be fortified for 1T in your new acquisition -- which also helps to pacify it quicker. (But remember to move the bulk of them out again on the next turn, to avoid losing them to a flip).

And more to the point, because most(?) of your stack stayed within your borders, these units will still have most/all of their MP available, and can move straight though Target1 and out to the new border (under cover of the defensive Army), using your new roads (that you didn't bomb to bits!). And then you can attack the next town ('Target2') immediately, using exactly the same tactic of single-Army/unit assaults from within your own border, instead of having to wait for the next turn (and maybe take losses in the meantime).
If there is nothing of value then I raze and plant my own settler
For Domination/Conquest, this tactic is fine, since you don't need to keep good relations with any AIs (unless you're still trading with someone for an essential StratRes). If you need good relations with a non-target civ though, be aware that razing >50% foreign towns will annoy everyone, whether you're at war with them or not. Also, even a city with no improvements still has 'value': each foreign citizen that you can turn into a (slave) Worker can do terrain improvements for 0GPT maintenance, as opposed to paying a native Worker 2GPT (in Republic). So every 2 foreign citizens are 'worth' at least 2 GPT right off the bat, plus whatever future-value they can add to your territory by railing/ irrigating/ clearing pollution.
(a frequent problem with this is that, after razing, the next enemy town's culture stops me settling in the locus of the razed one - is there a way of telling beforehand whether that will happen?).
It really doesn't matter, because Cultural borders don't prevent Settlement. During peacetime, your foreign advisor will warn you that planting a city inside an AICiv's borders will cause war, but the game will not prevent you from doing so (although RoPs will become a lot more expensive/ impossible to sign afterwards, since you DoW'd with units in enemy territory...). You'll then have to confirm the war with Corporal Punishment. But if you're already at war with an AICiv, the AI can't DoW you again, or get any angrier than 'Furious' (What would that be? 'Apoplectic'?), so planting a town inside their border isn't going to do you any real harm, and will seriously inconvenience your TargetAI -- that's actually how the 'combat Settler' exploit works.
Then I build a road and rail in the direction of the next target and repeat the process.
But you wouldn't need to do this if you hadn't bombed out the infrastructure already... ;)
I like to deprive the enemy of the ability to reinforce town 1.
You prevent them from doing that by putting Target1 (and Target2, and Target3, etc...) sufficiently far behind the front line that the AI's units can't possibly reach them in 1T. If a captured town back-flips before you've finished annihilating your TargetAI, it will only get 1 defensive unit for free, most likely a Spear or Rifle (depending on era), since Pikes, Muskets, Inf and MechInf all need StratRes which a flipped town inside your borders most likely won't have available. Assuming you've built the best attack units for your age, you should easily be able to kill that defender and retake the town on the next turn, either by diverting a fresh unit on its way to the front, or a healed unit returning from one of the other towns in your salient.

And BTW, I don't habitually play war-mongering games... ;)

It really doesn't matter, because Cultural borders don't prevent Settlement.
What?!? Are we playing the same game? I will check this this evening. Gadzooks!

But not taking out the exit road must be a great improvement over what I have been doing. Thanks muchly.

The other day, I think it was Lanzelot, someone mentioned finishing a game by 50AD. What? :confused: I think my best is about 1600 or thereabouts. How the heck do you do it? I know Lanzelot is a professional warmonger so I assume these are domination wins.
Professional warmonger? Me? I have never been that thoroughly misunderstood! :gripe:
I'm a peaceful builder by heart! (In fact, in my early days, before I had found this forum here and got lots of "bad company", I never started a war myself. Only defending myself and trying for a peaceful space victory.)

Anyway, you are probably talking about the Asterix game:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=441045

But not taking out the exit road must be a great improvement over what I have been doing.

Yes indeed... Don't waste bombers on tile improvements! Just bomb their units, and then your advance will be much faster... In fact, in the industrial era with railways and tanks and using "combat settlers" where necessary, it should be possible to conquer an entire AI in 1-3 turns, if you are already that much stronger than the AI as you seem to be.

If a captured town back-flips before you've finished annihilating your TargetAI, it will only get 1 defensive unit for free, most likely a Spear or Rifle (depending on era), since Pikes, Muskets, Inf and MechInf all need StratRes which a flipped town inside your borders most likely won't have available.

Eh, what if it's got a harbor :mischief:?

Professional warmonger? Me? I have never been that thoroughly misunderstood! :gripe:
I'm a peaceful builder by heart! (In fact, in my early days, before I had found this forum here and got lots of "bad company", I never started a war myself. Only defending myself and trying for a peaceful space victory.)

Anyway, you are probably talking about the Asterix game:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=441045

Yes indeed... Don't waste bombers on tile improvements! Just bomb their units, and then your advance will be much faster... In fact, in the industrial era with railways and tanks and using "combat settlers" where necessary, it should be possible to conquer an entire AI in 1-3 turns, if you are already that much stronger than the AI as you seem to be.
Crumbs!

Sorry I got you wrong, Lanzelot. Maybe you should have called yourself after Mother Teresa rather than a vicious, brutal, knight of the round table? Just a thought. :)

Eh, what if it's got a harbor :mischief:?
If it's (still) got a Harbour when it back-flips, then it's very unlikely to have been fully 'inside your borders', to start with, is it? Rather, it would have been forming part of them! Because your home-continent's culture is unlikely to be surrounding a potential flipper from overseas (especially on larger maps). And even if you've captured both of its coastal neighbours, their borders will not pop while under your control, unless and until you've (rush-)built a Lib/Temple in them.

And why would you do that? Foreign/overseas towns, especially those captured in the late game, are likely to end up as 90% corrupt Farms anyway (see Walletta's 'DG to klutz' thread...), so one of the first things you would have done after capturing it would be to sell off non-essential improvements, to minimise your maintenance GPT -- not build more of them! If I was going to build anything in such a town, I'd probably rather build Walls/ Barracks than a Harbour/ Lib/ Temple...

Somehow Lanzelot's dictum about the one-to-three turn knockout gave impetus to the Bab's conquest in my just concluded game, but i dont think I got anywhere near such speed of execution, even with overwhelming force. This question whether you can plant settlers inside the enemy's culture zone is one problem. The fact is, the game I'm playing doesn't allow it. I think I am playing C3C on steam. So, that's one thing. Maybe the only thing.

It's also possible i am too wary of incurring losses. Cavalry versus infantry in a town/city is doable but so expensive I just can't believe that's the way.

Say you are attacking a line like this xxC1xxxC2 and your artillery is already in the first x. Smash up C1 and march in. Easy. Then everything rushes through to C1x which is now within your frontier. C2 is not in artillery or tank range (I am assuming rail everywhere so no mobement cost). Do you plant a settler on C1x thus gaining C1xx? Is it actually possible to have adjacent cities? I don't think so, so this is out. Therefore C2 can only be taken by cavalry, maybe with bombing assistance. I guess Cavalry armies can cover the ground but they will the not be available for C3, not on the same turn anyway. And then there is some regrouping and damage repair.

I can think of improvements I am too lazy to implement, like espionage activity to ascertain precisely what's in the city (assuming a spy) but that's about it.

C2 is not in artillery or tank range (I am assuming rail everywhere so no mobement cost). Do you plant a settler on C1x thus gaining C1xx? Is it actually possible to have adjacent cities? I don't think so, so this is out. Therefore C2 can only be taken by cavalry, maybe with bombing assistance.

It is indeed not possible to build two adjacent towns. (It was in Civ1 and Civ2, though.) The main trick when using combat settlers is to disband C1...
- Settler moves to C1x (no movement cost)
- A few workers move into C1
- C1 is disbanded
- Settler founds new town on C1x
- Workers re-build the road & railroad on the C1 square

and on we go like Patton... :D
(Sometimes you may have to "inch forward" a few times by repeating this process, until you have pushed the cultural borders close enough to the target.)

I've used this trick once in a PBEM against a human opponent... With surprising effect. He thought his border fortification were sufficient or out of reach respectively. But by disbanding one of my own towns, I got into reach, broke through the outer defenses and then captured half of his core, using his rail network...

Use your bombers' lethal bombardment capability (assuming C3C) to its fullest.
Use artillery to pound the city until the garrison is redlined.
Then bomb the city to kill as many garrison troops as possible.
After that, send in the ground troops to kill the rest of the garrison, take the city and move on past to set up the next assault.

Note: on the artillery aspect. Say you have a stack of 10 artillery, and as you are shelling the city, you have redlined all the garrison after 5 artillery units have fired. Use the "w" key to let the rest of them wait until the end of the turn. After the first city is taken, those unused artillery units can glide thru the now-friendly territory and approach the next city. Perhaps even get close enough to fire on the second city, and start the process all over again.

What I really love is when I see "the barracks of XXX city is destroyed" when I am bombarding it. Why? If the RNG gods are not smiling on me and I can't finish taking the city in one turn, the remaining enemy troops will not much chance to heal, and the second turn will be decisive.

This question whether you can plant settlers inside the enemy's culture zone is one problem. The fact is, the game I'm playing doesn't allow it. I think I am playing C3C on steam. So, that's one thing. Maybe the only thing.
Well, that's weird. Why would they implement that? Are you maybe playing a multiplayer version in which settling inside enemy borders has been disabled to prevent use of the combat-settler exploit in human vs. human games? (As Lanzelot noted, the exploit is unbeatable, because in a turn-based game, there is no way for the victim to predict it, let alone counter it)
It's also possible i am too wary of incurring losses. Cavalry versus infantry in a town/city is doable but so expensive I just can't believe that's the way.
Ah, but a 3- or 4-Cav Army vs. a redlined Inf -- that's certainly doable, and 'costs' only enough elite-military victories to get your first MGL-spawned Army, whose first victory will then allow you to build Heroic Epic (for more MGLs to spawn more Armies) and/or later the MilAcad (400s?) to build Armies; and at least 16 cities to allow you to have 4 Armies and build the Pentagon (for 4-unit Armies)... Because units in C3C-Armies (possibly also Vanilla-Armies, not sure) get a bonus added to their attack (/defence) values...
Spoiler :
If I understood the formula right the bonus is equal to the total attack (/defence) values of all units in the Army, divided by 6 (before you build MilAcad) or 4 (after MilAcad), and rounded down.So even though a 3-Cav Army would be marked onscreen with base-A/D/M values of 6/3/4, the base-A/D values used by the pRNG are actually 9/4 (A = 6 + (3*6)/6 = 9, D = 3 + (3*3)/6 = 4.5 &#8776; 4) before MilAcad, and 10/5 afterwards. After building the Pentagon (=> 4-unit Armies possible), a 4-Cav Army would have base-A/D values of 10/5 (before MilAcad) or 12/6 (after MilAcad), even before you bring terrain/city defensive-bonuses into the mix. A 4-Inf Army (with MilAcad) would have A/D=12/20 on flatland (although it would still only be able to move 2 tiles in enemy territory instead of 4 tiles like a Cav-Army), never mind with def-bonuses, which is why the AI will hardly ever touch it (unless it has Bombers!).

So when a defending Inf (base D=10, D=12 if fortified (+25%), D=17 in a walled/Pop7-12 city (+50%) on flat ground, D=20 if fortified in a Hill-city) has only 1 HP remaining, a 4-Cav Army's A=12 still gives it much better odds than you might think. The 1-HP Inf has a 60-70% of winning each combat round, but it has to get lucky anything up to 20 times in a row (a 4-eUnit-Army = 20 HP); the Army only has to get lucky (30-40%) once. And because Armies have the Blitz ability as well, you may even be able to use the same 4-Cav Army to take out more than one redlined Inf before the Army's HP-loss becomes a concern. But yeah, if you have Bombers too, and assuming that the city has little/no AA defence, then Vorlon_mi's Arty-Bombard+Lethal-Bomber-Bombard tactic is pretty much guaranteed to result in you taking the city without any losses at all.
I can think of improvements I am too lazy to implement, like espionage activity to ascertain precisely what's in the city (assuming a spy) but that's about it.
I'm inclined to agree that Espi/Spies are generally more trouble/ expense than they're worth (requires buying/ learning Espi, building the IntelAgency, and then successfully planting the Spy). But if you have already successfully emplaced a Spy prior to the war (can also be done during a war, but costs more), then investigating cities can still be done during wartime, when your Embassy shuts down, which can be useful. IIRC, city-investigation is the cheapest type of Spy mission, so doing it 'safely' (95% chance of success?) is usually still affordable -- as opposed to 'ridiculous' for e.g. Propaganda/ Sabotage/ Tech-stealing/ Plan-stealing (although the latter will probably still be cheaper than investigating each city individually)...

If you can't afford/ be bothered with Spies, then you'd need to pick your target-cities before the war, and use your Embassy to investigate them. Write down a list of what's defending each of them: the AI (apparently) rarely moves units with the 'defence' flag between cities purely for reinforcement (thus spake Lanzelot!), so that list will remain fairly definitive throughout your campaign. AI-units injured in the field will of course retreat to the nearest city to heal, thereby 'reinforcing' it at least in terms of quantity if not quality (HP-strength), but if you concentrate your fire on the cities rather than the strays, this is not an issue.
Spoiler :
That being the case, the usual/only way the AI can/ will increase the number of defenders in a Pop7+ city is via Conscription, but it can only do that if it has Nationalism, and will generally only conscript if the city gets down to a single defender during the IBT (because you didn't quite have enough MP to kill it already...?). The no. of defensive unit(s) conscripted per turn depends on Gov-type, which you can see in the Mil-Advisor screen -- but even if the AI is in Fascism(?) and conscripts 3(?) defenders per turn, this is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if that city has no access to any StratRes (i.e. you'll only be facing cRifles at most, I think?). Also, once a city has been shrunk below Pop7, no more defenders can be press-ganged, and those 2HP Rifles won't get the 50% city-defence bonus any more either, so they won't last long. OK, you've lost some of the city's slave-power to conscription, but you'd probably have lost that to starvation before resistance was quelled anyway...

And if you can't be bothered to do use your Embassy either ;) then so long as your Arty-stack is larger than a city's defender-stack, you can also 'investigate' your target's defences using your Arty-bombardment: just count the number of full-HP defenders that you damage before a damaged defensive unit (i.e. one that's already been bombarded) shows up as the topmost defender (and if you kinda lost count in all the excitement -- did you fire six shots or only five? :cowboy: -- then check your Arty-stack to see how many now have 0 MP). At that point, you must have run through the whole defensive-stack, so this will give you at least a minimum estimate of garrison-numbers. I say 'minimum' because Arty always hits the strongest defender first in C3C, so it may use a damaged defender as the topmost defender before it puts up a full-HP attacker -- but attack-units usually have a significantly lower D-value anyway, so that doesn't matter...
Spoiler :
As to how the game chooses which unit to defend with, it seems to be based on %HP*D-value, rather than absolute HP*D-value as far as I can see -- so it would rather defend with a 3/3 (100%) rRifle, than a 4/5 (80%) eRifle or 3/4 (75%) vRifle... that mechanic seems a little :crazyeye: but I assume it's intended to ensure that the regular grunts get used as cannon fodder, and preserve the more valuable elite/vet units for as long as possible.

It is indeed not possible to build two adjacent towns. (It was in Civ1 and Civ2, though.) The main trick when using combat settlers is to disband C1...
- Settler moves to C1x (no movement cost)
- A few workers move into C1
- C1 is disbanded
- Settler founds new town on C1x
- Workers re-build the road & railroad on the C1 square

and on we go like Patton... :D
(Sometimes you may have to "inch forward" a few times by repeating this process, until you have pushed the cultural borders close enough to the target.)

I've used this trick once in a PBEM against a human opponent... With surprising effect. He thought his border fortification were sufficient or out of reach respectively. But by disbanding one of my own towns, I got into reach, broke through the outer defenses and then captured half of his core, using his rail network...

OK the trouble with this is that upon disbanding C1 the culture from C2 will envelope square C1x preventing me from building a city there. I guess I need to find out why the version of what I am playing differs from what you guys are. I swear I have done nothing to modify it. I wouldn't even know how.

ETA and this inching forward is all done on one turn, I guess, assuming the culture thing is not a problem.

Use your bombers' lethal bombardment capability (assuming C3C) to its fullest.
Use artillery to pound the city until the garrison is redlined.
Then bomb the city to kill as many garrison troops as possible.
After that, send in the ground troops to kill the rest of the garrison, take the city and move on past to set up the next assault.

Note: on the artillery aspect. Say you have a stack of 10 artillery, and as you are shelling the city, you have redlined all the garrison after 5 artillery units have fired. Use the "w" key to let the rest of them wait until the end of the turn. After the first city is taken, those unused artillery units can glide thru the now-friendly territory and approach the next city. Perhaps even get close enough to fire on the second city, and start the process all over again.

What I really love is when I see "the barracks of XXX city is destroyed" when I am bombarding it. Why? If the RNG gods are not smiling on me and I can't finish taking the city in one turn, the remaining enemy troops will not much chance to heal, and the second turn will be decisive.

A rare post in which I see nothing I am not already doing. Not a criticism, just an indication of my general experience reading here.

Well, that's weird. Why would they implement that? Are you maybe playing a multiplayer version in which settling inside enemy borders has been disabled to prevent use of the combat-settler exploit in human vs. human games? (As Lanzelot noted, the exploit is unbeatable, because in a turn-based game, there is no way for the victim to predict it, let alone counter it):

Ah, but a redlined Inf vs. a Cavalry Army -- that's certainly doable.

Are you aware that Armies in C3C (possibly also in Vanilla, not sure) get a bonus added to their attack (/defence) values, which (if I understood the formula right) are equal to the total attack (/defence) values of all units in the Army, divided by 6 (before you build the Pentagon) or 4 (after Pentagon)? So even though a 3-Cav Army would be marked onscreen with A/D values of 6/3 (i.e. the average of the 3 [identical] units), the values used by the pRNG are actually 9/4.5 (before Pent) and 10.5/5.25 (after Pent). And a 4-Cav Army would have actual A/D values of 10/5 (before Pent) or 12/6 (after Pent).

A=12 against D=10 (or D=17.5 if the Inf is fortified in a Pop7-12 city?), when the defender has only 1 HP remaining is much better odds than you might think. Because Armies have the blitz ability as well, you may even be able to use the same Army to take out more than one redlined Inf before the Army's HP-loss becomes a concern.

But yeah, if you have Bombers too, and assuming that the city has no AA defence, then Vorlon_mi's Arty-Bombard+Lethal-Bombard tactic is much more likely to result in you taking the city without any losses.

If you already have a Spy emplaced prior to the war (requires learning Espi, building the IntelAgency, and then successfully planting the Spy), then investigating cities can be done easily, even during wartime -- it's usually one of the cheapest missions to perform 'safely'.

If you can't afford/ be bothered to do that, then there is another way -- before the war, pick your target-cities, and use your Embassy to investigate them. Write down a list of what's defending each of them. The AI rarely moves units with the 'defence' flag between cities purely for reinforcement, so that list will remain fairly definitive throughout your campaign. AI-Defenders injured on the open field will of course retreat to the nearest city to heal, thereby 'reinforcing' it at least by quantity if not by quality (HP-strength), but if you concentrate your fire on the cities rather than the strays, this is not an issue.

The usual way the AI will increase the number of defenders in a Pop7+ city is via conscription, but it will/can only do that if it has Nationalism, and if the city gets down to a single defender during the IBT. The no. of defensive unit(s) conscripted per turn depends on Gov-type, which you can see in the Mil-Advisor screen -- but even if the AI is in Fascism(?) and conscripts 3(?) defenders per turn, this is not necessarily a bad thing. If a city is shrunk below Pop7 by conscription, those 2HP units won't get the 50% city-defence bonus any more, so they won't last long (and no more can be conscripted at under Pop6...).

Anfd finally, so long as your Arty-stack is larger than a city's defender-stack, you can also 'investigate' your target's defences using your Arty-bombardment: just count the number of 'fresh' full-HP defenders hit during the first round of bombardment. If you lose count, fire until the top defender is a damaged D-unit (i.e. one that's already been hit), then check your Arty-stack to see how many you fired (i.e. how many have 0 MP) -- that will give you at least a minimum estimate of defender-number (because Arty always hits the strongest defender first in C3C, the city may put up a damaged defender as the top-defender, before it puts up a full-HP attacker).

Great stuff tjs. What is this blitz ability thing of which you speak?

Great stuff tjs. What is this blitz ability thing of which you speak?
Means you can attack with the same unit more than once on the same turn. Off the top of my head, of the base units in C3C, Cossacks, Tanks/Panzer and ModArm have blitz (there's quite possibly some others from C3C-Civs I haven't got round to playing yet...) -- but Armies get blitz automatically (although not in Vanilla, I don't think... :( ).

This does mean that, for example, although a single Cav can't blitz-attack on its own, a single Cav in an Army can -- up to 4 times (if it has the HP), and with its Army-bonus (a single-Cav Army has A = 6+(6/6) = 7). Although 2 victories in a row would also mean it could get promoted from Vet to Elite in a single turn (as can single-unit Cossacks/ Tanks/... etc.), that won't really help you, since an eUnit in an Army can't ever generate MGLs.

Oh and BTW... you really don't need to quote (my) entire post(s) every time you reply to them, just delete everything except the pertinent line that you're replying/ querying. No need to clutter up the screen with all the extraneous blahblah (certainly for my posts -- I do tend to run on a bit!). No offence intended, just sayin'... ;)

but Armies get blitz automatically (although not in Vanilla, I don't think... :( ).

I'm pretty sure armies in vanilla get blitz, but since they don't get an extra movement point it doesn't do anything for the slow-movers. One attack per movement point is not an improvement when you only have one movement point. On the other hand, I've mostly played PTW rather than vanilla, so I could be mistaken.

Means you can attack with the same unit more than once on the same turn. Off the top of my head, of the base units in C3C, Cossacks, Tanks/Panzer and ModArm have blitz (there's quite possibly some others from C3C-Civs I haven't got round to playing yet...) -- but Armies get blitz automatically (although not in Vanilla, I don't think... :( ).

This does mean that, for example, although a single Cav can't blitz-attack on its own, a single Cav in an Army can -- up to 4 times (if it has the HP), and with its Army-bonus (a single-Cav Army has A = 6+(6/6) = 7). Although 2 victories in a row would also mean it could get promoted from Vet to Elite in a single turn (as can single-unit Cossacks/ Tanks/... etc.), that won't really help you, since an eUnit in an Army can't ever generate MGLs.

Oh and BTW... you really don't need to quote (my) entire post(s) every time you reply to them, just delete everything except the pertinent line that you're replying/ querying. No need to clutter up the screen with all the extraneous blahblah (certainly for my posts -- I do tend to run on a bit!). No offence intended, just sayin'... ;)
Ah, thanks.

As Lanzelot noted, the exploit is unbeatable, because in a turn-based game, there is no way for the victim to predict it, let alone counter it

Well, there are ways to counter it. And in my PBEM games I usually employ these counter measures when the game reaches the industrial age. Properly defended choke points and fortresses are the key elements. (Fortresses inside your cultural borders immediately eliminate all movement points of any foreign unit entering the tile! They can be destroyed by bombardment, but that the uses up the enemies artillery capacity.) Hospitals in border cities to get the Metropolis defense bonus of 100%. Flaks and jet fighters, etc.

I have once written a story about a PBEM game, where modern warfare was used. Unfortunately it's in German, but some of the screenshots might give you the idea:
Offene Verschwörungen

The war (my only war in the game) then starts on page 22 (990 AD), and in 1295 AD I built 10 spaceship parts in one turn... ;)

OK the trouble with this is that upon disbanding C1 the culture from C2 will envelope square C1x preventing me from building a city there. I guess I need to find out why the version of what I am playing differs from what you guys are. I swear I have done nothing to modify it. I wouldn't even know how.

Post a save file. I'm pretty sure that in every version I've ever been playing (and I'm playing Civ3 since 2002) it has always been possible to found a town in enemy culture! :confused:

Top Bottom