Does the AI have infinite units or something?

CivAddict2013

Warlord
It seems so. I was going for a domination victory on King. And I was doing pretty well, but it's impossible for me to beat Siam. He has seemlessly infinite units. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not losing to Siam. But it's like, I just keep killing his units over and over and over and over and over and over and he just keeps spamming more units.

Also, why are AI units so powerful, when they're using a unit from the last era?

For instance, I'm using Riflemen and Cannons. Siam is using Trebuchets, LongSwordsman and Pikemen. Yet, he's going toe-to-toe with me. How is this? He doesn't have the great wall or anything like that. I just think its an AI cheat.

AI has to build or buy units just like everybody else.

The AI bonsues are reduced unit upgrade cost & reduced unit maintenance cost.
And on levels above Prince, increasing hammer discounts on everything.

AI is also unable to cash buy buildings, but under some circumstances is allowed to cash buy units.
It looks like initial release of G&K reduced AI unit buying compared to Vanilla but that fall G&K patch turned it up (on steroids)
Initial release of BNW is back to the initial G&K release level.

AI plays on greatly reduced happiness bonuses (Chieftain in Vanilla and G&K but on a brand new level for BNW which features Settler level initial happiness bonus + an unhappiness bonus slightly larger than Warlord, but it no longer includes the luxury bonus from Chieftain.) This means it needs less happiness structures, and so if this is a low happiness flavor AI, it won't have the happiness buildings (or the building maintenance cost associated)

This happens in almost every game where the Player starts losing. First thing he thinks is that the AI must be cheating. It`s very easy to start to throw blame around, but I can easily see that as far as producing units is concerned, it isn`t cheating, it`s just doing it better.

Of course, let`s not forget it`s having to use a simple set of computer algorythms to take on the most complex organism on Earth, so it may `cheat` a bit in other areas (like having more money).

It`s hard to blame the AI of `cheating` when it has such a massive disadvantage against it (the Human brain) to deal with.

There is a difference between "handicap" and "cheating". Civ series is somewhat notorious in that it makes its AI do both.

I don't know enough about civ V AI under the hood yet, but I'd be surprised if its actual cheating (IE doing things or accessing information that is, by game rules, impossible for a non-AI to attain in that situation) is worse than previous iterations.

Handicaps make sense to add challenge. Cheating isn't really defensible in strategy games because it results in the "other players" not actually playing the same game as you.

This happens in almost every game where the Player starts losing. First thing he thinks is that the AI must be cheating. It`s very easy to start to throw blame around, but I can easily see that as far as producing units is concerned, it isn`t cheating, it`s just doing it better....

Funny thing is, when these same folks get pretty good at Civ, then they complain that the Combat AI is too weak and that it isn't challenging to play any more.:yup:

What were Siam's cities like? A high pop. city can spew out new military every two turns if there are enough hammers around.

Also, did you have promo's on your units? A great general near? If Siam is producing units with a barracks and armory, and just happens to be picking promos that are getting used (open terrain while on open terrain), then that is enough to go toe to toe with your units. If he has a GG near and you don't, that lessens the gap even further.

If you were attacking, then they were probably fortified and like Matthew said probably had a GG nearby and maybe they had Himenji Castle as well. Perhaps they also had Heroic Epic!!

The AI always has a lot of units. This is because it is stupid and doesn't realize that a huge army only gets you so far in Civ V.

It also may have bonuses to unit production or gold, but it's not the only one playing by different rules. Someone else in your game has unlimited time to complete their turns and instead of being a small box of electronics they are actually an extremely complex sentient supercomputer.

It's only fair, really, to let the AI cheat a bit.

Top Bottom