Are there permanent effects from bullying city-states?

Carmack

Chieftain
After all this time, I never considered this, so just wondering. I know if you conquer at least 2 city-states you'll earn permanent influence degradation. Does the same apply to routine tribute demands?

I am pretty sure that there are no permanent effects from CS bullying. In my experience, the only downside is a decrease in influence in that one particular CS that you've bullied.

Not in regards to other city-states, no. If a major civ has pledged to protect that CS you'll get a pretty massive diplo hit but other than that there's no reason not to just waltz your early game UU's into a city-state and extort them for all they've got.

So it's just the temporary influence hit, then everything is back to normal. Cool, thanks. That makes Greece's UA even more powerful than I previously thought.

It used to be that if you bullied CSs then all of the other ones in the game would stick together and declare you a menace, but I don't think the game does that anymore.

I thought each time you bully a City-State, they become more resilient towards further bullying. I'm not sure about this though.

Doesn't another civ need to give gold support for the resistance to take effect?

There is bonus resistance they get, if they are protected by other nation. But that is minor, like -20.

On the other hand, after one successful demand they'll get additional -300, which should cool-down after some time.

I guess it's there just to remove spam tactics.

Top Bottom