True Start Location Earth Maps

I've done everything until the load scenario part. I cant find where to click the Load Scenario god this is pissing me off they really need to make this easier to set up if they want this game to be the most moddable game .

Edit: wow i just fixed it after posting this /fail thanks again dale

Nice start. But there are a few issues. When your Rome after you build your capital the city states surrounding you can't build a city and wont move. Also Arabia starts in Babylon's starting location and after Mecca is built Persia cannot build their capital city and doesn't move. The settler just stands there. Please move Arabia to the Arabic peninsula not Mesopotamia. Great start just wanted to give you some background. Thanks for all your work.

Keep in mind that the AI may not establish its capital exactly on its start location. It may move somewhere else and then build its capital.

When I create Kruelgor's Real Earth scenario I will have the capital cities already built on turn 1.

I know I was Arabia, and it started me between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. Cant wait for your map! I only play real world maps

Yeah confirmed. I'll have to fix it up and upload a V2. They mentioned this over at 2k forums as well.

Were you able to fix this? :)

I know I was Arabia, and it started me between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. Cant wait for your map! I only play real world maps

If you read Harun's pedia entry, and look him up on the net, you'll find his capital city was Baghdad.

Although I haven't got this game yet, I would like to say thanks to Dale this TSL map is what I always want to play in Civ. Thanks Dale again.

One thing though - since the Chinese leader is Wu Zetian, shouldn't her starting location be in Xi'an (or Chang'an to be accurate), in mid-west China instead of Beijing?

If you read Harun's pedia entry, and look him up on the net, you'll find his capital city was Baghdad.

I see… regardless Persia still cant build their first city. Their settler just stands there.

Agree with the above poster - this also would give China and Japan a bit more space in between them. The problem is, though, that the first city name will always default to Beijing. I suppose once this is made into a scenerio with pre-built cities, it would be easy to name it correctly.

Arabia may have moved it capital to Iraq, but it started in Saudi Arabia. Iraq was a later conquest, so it would make sense to make its starting location Mecca and they can always conquer Iraq like they did historically.

Agree with the above poster - this also would give China and Japan a bit more space in between them. The problem is, though, that the first city name will always default to Beijing. I suppose once this is made into a scenerio with pre-built cities, it would be easy to name it correctly.

Arabia may have moved it capital to Iraq, but it started in Saudi Arabia. Iraq was a later conquest, so it would make sense to make its starting location Mecca and they can always conquer Iraq like they did historically.
Indeed. Also, for that thousand years or so between the Babylonians and the Arabs, Mesopotamia was the center of the various Persian empires - the reason the Abbasids moved the capital of the Caliphate to Baghdad in the first place was to be closer to all of their supporters in Iran. I'd say either the Hejaz or Syria would be the best starting point for the Arabs - they weren't the dominant group in Mesopotamia until after the Islamic conquest.

All I can suggest is wait for the mod tools and make your own. :)

I'm working on other more complex mod examples for the community. :)

All I can suggest is wait for the mod tools and make your own. :)

I'm working on other more complex mod examples for the community. :)

So no V2? How can I move Arabia back to the Arabic peninsula?

First off, let me say that though criticism is always useful, you really need to get some acknowledgement on this, Dale!
I already expressed my excitement in the download section for this mod, as well rating it in the in-game mod browser, but you need to hear it again. This is just awesome - it's fantastic!
I had thought that my biggest gripe with ciV was going to be that I couldn't play with Historical Start Locations on an Earth map, right off the bat, but you did away with that concern of mine :)

I'm also pleased to learn that:
Strategyonly:
The maps have random resources turned on. That's why it appears different each time.
As this will provide some variety. I was a bit disappointed when I first played the mod, only to find that my favorite civilization, Greece, didn't have any resources near them what so ever! But then I realized that they were random - which is great! :)
Though, I've got to ask, would it be possible to add a way to select the algorithm for how resources are placed, as in when you set up a regular game and can pick one of several options when you go into advanced?
I have no idea if there might be any sort of limitation on ciV, making it unable to do this for mods, but I hope not. Is it something you can confirm, and if there is no engine-wise limitation, can you enable this option?
I vastly prefer going with "Balanced Start", as a resource option, myself. Of course, that's just me.

Anyway, awesome job on this mod, mate!
It' exactly what I thought would be missing in civ! :D

EDIT:
I apologize for any spelling and/or grammatical errors.
My usual insomnia has made a sick combo with not being able to stop playing ciV, and thus neglecting all other necessities. I just had a wicked game that went for 17 hours. Straight. And I've been up for double as long as that - I am wasted. So please excuse me. T_T

I'm sure there will be plenty of World Maps shortly after the editing tools come out.

I'm going to make maps which are geared more towards realism but I'm sure there will be someone who will make a map that focuses on playability.

I have plans to try just that... a playable map that has a feel of Earth. It won't be Earth, but I will attempt to make it similar (and maybe a mimic a bit of the geography), but it will be geared more toward allowing the packed in Civs to be a bit more playable. I just wish they would release the WB already! My vacation is almost over and my time will be greatly restricted once I return to work on Monday.

With that said, has anybody figured out the map sizes yet? I would like to get started with planning but I haven't yet reached a point where I can safely calculate the number of hexes. I know if I were to try with what I got, and I got the estimation wrong, it could really destroy any maps that I work on before the tools get released and I'll likely have to start over from scratch. Or can map sizes be set in the WB? I am particularly looking at the huge maps.

PS... I guess that pic that you posted, Dale, is from the standard or small size? I just can't see how it would be even playable. I have been playing the huge one and I am fine with that... though Italy is messed up and I agree that Japan should be fattened up a little. I can't imagine those on any smaller of a map!

Could you please post images of all the map sizes?
Pretty Please?

Hello Dale,

Thank you immensely for this mod. I am very happy that something like this exists, because I really enjoy playing on Earth Maps with realistic start locations, especially when just starting to play a new Civ game.

I wanted to comment on the placement choice of two capitals.

Capital Placement for the Arabs: Arguments in favour of Mecca

I understand why from the quote above you chose Baghdad and this was initially what I figured your rationale might be. While what you're saying is accurate, it is important to know that for a variety of religious, historical and game-related reasons, the present day location of Mecca seems to be a stronger choice for the location of the capital. Here are the arguments I can think of:

1) The modern day Arab language and culture derives from Mecca and the surrounding region (particularly the Quraysh tribe, which dominated the city). This makes it a very logical starting point for the Arabs, especially in the ancient, classical and medieval eras.

2) Mecca is considered the religious heart and holiest city for Muslims, which of course were synonymous with the first Arabs as we know them today.

3) That region, Hedjaz (specifically the nearby city of Medina but also Mecca), became the political centre of the early Muslim community and remained the capital of the growing Islamic empire during the period of the first four ("rightly guided") caliphs.

4) Although the leader of Arabia in this game is Harun Al-Rashid, and the capital during his time was Baghdad, the capital of the Caliphate has changed repeatedly over its history. In fact, a tradition eventually developed in which each new Muslim/Arab dynasty established a new capital as a symbol of "renewal" and a break with the past.

Consider for example Civ 4. The leader of the Arabs in that game was Saladin and under his rule, the capital of the Caliphate was established in Cairo (Egypt) and later Damascus (Syria). However, despite this, the capital for the Arabian empire was chosen to be Mecca in Civ 4 (probably for some of the reasons I mentioned above). In fact, when the Ottomans were in their ascendancy, the Caliphate was reestablished in Istanbul, where it remained until it was abolished in the early 20th Century.

Therefore, Mecca represents a more "timeless" choice that strongly applies regardless of the epoch.

5) The first city (and therefore capital) founded by Arabs in the game is Mecca. This means a computer player, or player that does not rename the city, will found "Mecca" where Baghdad is supposed to be, if that location is kept. The other capital cities however, are named and placed correctly and it looks out of place to see Mecca in modern day Iraq.

6) Moving the location to modern day Mecca would also space out the nearby civilizations and leave Mesopotamia available for settlement by these powers. This area has historically been ruled by the Babylonians, Persians, Romans, Arabs and Ottomans, so it would make for an interesting "prize" for any of these nations based on its very fertile land.

Capital Placement for the Persians: The Location of Persepolis

I also wanted to note that the current location for Persepolis is a bit off. Currently it is not far from Kuwait in Southeastern Iraq. However, it could be moved further eastward in the Iranian plateau to improve realism. (This applies to the Huge map, I don't know about the others).

All of this feedback is only meant to further improve what is a fantastic mod and to offer my own (very minor) contribution. If you would like to discuss further, I would be happy to.

I'm also eager to hear what others think and if they agree with me regarding the placement/choice of Mecca.

Well, that's the problem when you base the civilizations on leader names; The game starts in 4000 B.C., but you've got leaders who ruled in the 16th Century.

If the Arabs want to conquer Baghdad, as they did in the real world, great. But starting there just feels wrong.

I would ignore the leader's name and go with where the civilization sprang from.
The Arabs should start in Arabia, and the Chinese around Xian, for example.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope Egypt doesn't build an Alexandria. That was a city built (or renamed) by Greek conquerors. If the Greeks can do it again in the game, great. But having the Egyptians build Alexandria is like a Native American civilization building New York.

To those who installed on another drive other than C.

Use 7 zip or something to extract the contents of the mod into the maps folder.

I still have the original file in the mods folder, and it works for me now =p

The maps have random resources turned on. That's why it appears different each time.
Since most of us are currently unable to modify maps/scenarios ourselves - are there any chance that you could release a version of the maps (or at least the huge map) with fixed resources?

Top Bottom