Won pretty easily, maybe because of an AI issue

I just finished my first game an I had some results that might show a problem in the AI. Basically some of the other empires preformed poorly which might just be bad luck, or bad placement of starting locations
Firstly, a civ died very early. I later found out that the necromancer barbarian unit that guards a death mana source spawned right next to their first city and it killed them almost immediately.
Later I found that two empires hardly researched anything and they seemed to be stuck on mysticism or trade with only one turn left but they never finish although one did manage to get trade eventually. Later I noticed that the Luchuirp's three cities were almost all hills with mines and a few grasslands with farms. Same with the Doviello. They were producing very little commerce and had their science between 30% and 0%. They turns remaining would fluctuate but even when it was at one turn remaining it still wouldn't finish after several turns.
That might just have been because of bad placement and being boxed in my barbarians, but I think the AI could have handled it better. Personally I never build cottages on hills, but in the case of these two empires they didn't have any commerce and while they could build units they couldn't support them or new cities without commerce. So the AI probably thinks like I do and hills get hill improvements but in this case we'd both be wrong.
Here are two save games. One from just when I vassallized two empires and the other when I won the game. You can see they've made no progress. And very near to that necromancers tomb or whatever it is you can see ruins of the capital of the civ that was killed so early.
Edit: I can't seem to get the saves to actually attach at the moment.

The AI in FFH is pretty bad, most players suggest to play at at least 2 difficulty levls above what you play vanilla at since the AI can't really use all the things you can.

Top Bottom