2 cents and question

Romulus

Chieftain
Long time Civ player (Since CivI), rare poster...no time.

Ok, I have to say that I play my BtS on marathon terra, prince and up. That is to say, I like month long games! :D But somehow, whenever I start up a short game, it leaves bad taste in my mouth. Too easy or too hard.

My question is, will Civ Rev. be the game that makes short (weekend) games fun AND challenging? without loosing Civ's trademark depth. Some may call that dumbed-down...but theres dumbed down and theres DUMBed down.

Any thoughts from people who've had a go at it yet?

Looking at what you prefer in Civ 4 settings, Marathon, Terra, Prince+ I do think you'll find CivRev a "bit" on the short side.

That said, I think we've to approach CivRev with a different mind set. Firaxis never made a secret of it that its not Civ 5 and that its targeted at a different audience as the core Civilization gameseries.

That said I'm eager to get my hands on it. I think that the quicker going games on my DS will also fit the way I game on that more. I like my PC and laptop for long sessions, sometimes switching to Civfanatics or Apolyton to tab into the collected wisdom there. The "consoletargetted" CivRev seems great for pick up and play sessions where even in 20 minutes you can have a feeling of real progress.

I can see Civ 4 (and later on 5) and CivRev (and later on 2?) happily coexisting in my house!

P.S. Still hoping for a Wii version here BTW :D I've bought 3 sets of Civ 4 with expansions so far (2 gift sets) and I've room for a few CivRev versions also :)

lol your already asking if there's going to be a second civ revolution, to e honest unless there are major things that need to be changed or a better console (PS4) comes out, i predict there'll be no need to bring out a second version, you can play civ for years. :cool:

If they can add scenarios and maybe even new leaders though dlc then there'll be no need for expansions of civ rev, and no need for a new civ rev. But maybe we may see Alpha Centauri Revolution? :D

I'm pretty excited for CivRev. I'm actually forgoing GTA 4 for it (I have a really, really, really, and I can't stress this enough, really crappy job so I can basically afford one game a year :wallbash:) but the one thing that annoys me is the DLC. It's not that I hate the 360 and it's fantastic DLC, it's just that most of the content I've got for Civ4 was downloaded for free, and all I've ever paid for is expansions, and even then it was in an intelligible currency, not a crazy point system with no discernible exchange rate. What I'm saying is this is one place I think CivRev will be disappointing no matter what, everything that is worth downloading on consoles costs money. Crap no one likes is free. That sucks next to free mods that helped keep Civ4 alive for me.

Again granted this is not Civ5, but it's still the only Civ that will be on a console for a while, which is where I primarily spend my time when gaming.

So what kind of empire can we expect Padma? Less than 5 cities type thing?...because in the early screenshots the landscape seemed more 3D and busy, but also more compacted.

MattFDR, choosing between this and GTA IV...ouch! Thats gotta hurt, like choosing between peanut butter or jelly. Although, i thought I was the only one playing both GTA and Civ hehe.

well, the internet and the world wide web are the same thing, jelly and jam aren't.

At the risk of going way off topic.

You are wrong. I used the internet for quite a few years before the World Wide Web came about. There is still an awful lot you can do on the internet without using the web (for example, play multiplayer games on consoles - to bring this back in the general direction of on topic).

I suppose you have a point, but now, here, in this era of time, the world wide web is the internet. I suppose you can look at the world wide web as an update to the internet, and forever after they become the same thing.

On Topic: Civ rev isn't a dumbed down version of Civ, its a new innovative console game, which I am throughly looking forward to purchasing.

Email uses the internet, but it isn't the WWW.

IRC isn't the WWW.

Usenet isn't the WWW.

Skype isn't the WWW.

The list goes on.

But I derail...

i said the internet and the WWW are the the same thing.

Did you argue with that?

No, you jsut started banging on about how skype and email aren't the WWW, well any idiot knows that.

It's like saying:

Your wrong, toast isn't the WWW.

---

The World Wide Web, is bascially an interface for the internet, there is a difference, but you need to use both.

Think of it like a computer and windows software, the windows software just changes the look and feel of the way you access the computer, making it easier for you to do things. The WWW does the same thing with the internet.

Snort.

You sure is easily angered. Anyway.

Saying that the www is the same as the internet, is like saying a hard drive is the same as a computer. I'm sure you see what I mean.

Edit: Or actually, having read your entire post, you probably don't. Your analogy is false. The www is not simply "an interface".
Moderator Action: TRolling - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom