any ideas for "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: The Movie"?

Here's one idea for an opening:
(we see a silhouetted figure watching 3Dvision)
Newslady: Today, On The Spiritual Side, we discuss the Garland initiative. Just for those of you who haven't heard about the Garland initiative, it's a project headed by Australian Activist Jack Garland*, with the help of Russian physicist Provost Zakharov, Scottish Ecologist Deidre Skye, U.N. Commissioner Pravin Lal, and a team of scientists, engineers, and average joes from all over the world, to start humanity afresh by colonizing a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri, the closest star to the Sun. I'm here with sister Miriam Godwinson, On The Spiritual Side.
Miriam: Hello, Kim.
Kim: Now, Miriam, you have been one of the most vocal advocates of the Garland initiative; do you believe there is any scriptural support for your position?
Miriam: Yes, as a matter of fact, this whole incident seems to be a double take on Genesis 3:24: (aforementioned verse). Another passage of note is (the passage in Revelation which refers to the new Heaven and the New Earth.)
Kim: Do you believe Chiron is the new earth?
Miriam: I wouldn't shout from the top of Freedom Tower, but God certainly has implemented prophecy in mysterious ways in the past.
Kim: In your new book, you-
(The 3Dvision is turned off, and the silhouetted figure is revealed to be Lal.)
Pria: I thought you were watching that.
Lal: I was, but now I have to ask an old friend to loan me a little cash...

*I haven't read the novels, so I pulled Garland's first name and country of origin out of a hat.

Here's one idea for an opening:
(we see a silhouetted figure watching 3Dvision)
Newslady: Today, On The Spiritual Side, we discuss the Garland initiative. Just for those of you who haven't heard about the Garland initiative, it's a project headed by Australian Activist Jack Garland*, with the help of Russian physicist Provost Zakharov, Scottish Ecologist Deidre Skye, U.N. Commissioner Pravin Lal, and a team of scientists, engineers, and average joes from all over the world, to start humanity afresh by colonizing a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri, the closest star to the Sun. I'm here with sister Miriam Godwinson, On The Spiritual Side.
Miriam: Hello, Kim.
Kim: Now, Miriam, you have been one of the most vocal advocates of the Garland initiative; do you believe there is any scriptural support for your position?
Miriam: Yes, as a matter of fact, this whole incident seems to be a double take on Genesis 3:24: (aforementioned verse). Another passage of note is (the passage in Revelation which refers to the new Heaven and the New Earth.)
Kim: Do you believe Chiron is the new earth?
Miriam: I wouldn't shout from the top of Freedom Tower, but God certainly has implemented prophecy in mysterious ways in the past.
Kim: In your new book, you-
(The 3Dvision is turned off, and the silhouetted figure is revealed to be Lal.)
Pria: I thought you were watching that.
Lal: I was, but now I have to ask an old friend to loan me a little cash...

*I haven't read the novels, so I pulled Garland's first name and country of origin out of a hat.

That's a great opening. But we still need the opening credits & I don't know where to put it so that the plot would make sense. The spelling is Prokhor Zakharov not Provorst.

That's a great opening. But we still need the opening credits & I don't know where to put it so that the plot would make sense. The spelling is Prokhor Zakharov not Provorst.

"Provost" is his title. (It's a high faculty position in most colleges and universities.) Although he definitely has a different title in the intro story, though I forget what it is.

Also, Deirdre was not a particularly prominent member of the Unity until the crisis began, certainly not while it was being planned on Earth. She was the head biologist, but she reported to Zakharov, and presumably there were other positions (head physicist, head chemist, etc.) of equal rank to her own but that never formed their own faction.

If anyone were to be announcing a partnership, it would probably have been Garland, Zakharov and Yang (who was head of security), along with maybe Morgan announcing his financing of the final stages of the project after the Russian economic collapse mentioned in the intro story that halted construction (which would probably be a good place to begin if you want to start on Earth). I get the impression that Lal was a close friend of Garland's brought on board later. Of course, it was all a UN project, and Lal was the only UN bureaucrat that became prominent later, so maybe you could make him the Deputy Secretary-General or something who then volunteers to join the mission as a show of true UN support for the mission and belief that it will succeed.

Ok. My final list:
Lal-???
Santiago-Salma Hayek
Miriam-Susan Surandon
Morgan-Samuel L. Jackson
Zakharov-That guy who plays Mad Eye Moody in the HP movie franchise
Yang-???
Dierdre-Rachel Wiess or Kiera Knightly or Kirstin Dunst

Still no conformation on who would be Lady Dierdre Skye. It's had to find any old Asian male actors. Or any Indian actors who are at the age of fifty-something. And no conformation of the plot. Hey, I have an idea for the sequence before the main end credits. Every time the actor who plays the leaders are credited in the sequence, there should be a picture of him or her from the game, a transparent picture of their faction logo & one of their quotes from the game with the actor's own voice narrating the quote.

Dude, Rachel Weisz = Dierdre but Kiera Knightley wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Kirstin Dunst would suck, though. She's talentless.

I still cannot even comprehend the Samuel L Jackson argument. Do people just want to throw him anywhere they need a black guy, because of his box office pull? Putting him in SMAC would be as forced as he was as 'Mace Windu'.

I love SLJ, but he's going to look way goofy anywhere outside of 20th Century United States.

Dude, Rachel Weisz = Dierdre but Kiera Knightley wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Kirstin Dunst would suck, though. She's talentless.

I still cannot even comprehend the Samuel L Jackson argument. Do people just want to throw him anywhere they need a black guy, because of his box office pull? Putting him in SMAC would be as forced as he was as 'Mace Windu'.

I love SLJ, but he's going to look way goofy anywhere outside of 20th Century United States.

Morgan Freeman is the much more obvious choice.

The misquoting of Recon Rover Rick got me thinking... I reckon that if we were doing a 21st century parody of the plotlines, Range Rover Rick would work! Just imagine that:

"Richard Baxton piloted his Range Rover into a Taliban hideout and held off four waves of guerilla militiamen, saving his entire platoon. We immediately purchased the rights to his life story and repackaged him as the Range Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign - films, books, internet, theme parks - the works.

People don't need to know how he died from severe burns after being taken out by a roadside bomb, screaming in pain. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers."

Not so far fetched as it seems?

Does anyone know what the voice actors in the game look like? After all, they're the voices we associate with the game. I think that there's a guy who looks like Yang in the Ascetic Virtues project video, but then he could be anyone. Admittedly, that would be the non-Hollywood star route. All suggestions so far seem reasonable except for Kirsten Dunst as Deirdre - I thought we were going for people who looked liked the characters!

At a push, how about this guy for Lal?
http://www.arabamericanactors.org/shantdemirjian

I think the great choices for Dierdre are Rachel Wiess & Kiera Knightly. We have all the main charachters cast except for Lal. Who will play as Lal????

Ok.Ok. Morgan Freeman will take the role of Morgan. What about Lal???? I will make a new list soon.

Before you update it, I've created a little poll based on this thread. You should probably wait to see what the denizens of Civfanatics desire.

Top Bottom