SL Wiki Upload List

Why don't you just give them transparent backgrounds and save yourself the trouble? :p

Good idea. How do you make the backgrounds transparent though? I just use the same colour background as the page but I guess if they are transparent I would only need one png for multiple sites/pages.

MS Paint. Its normally adequate for the limited cut and paste jobs I do.
Paint has changed with new versions of Windows. I think the Win7 version may have fewer options than previous ones. I don't see a way with the version I have. IrfanView, Paint.net and GIMP, all free, can do it.

BTW, did you create your avatar in Paint? It's covered in artefacts as though it's been saved with a web-safe palette; something Paint likes to do when you save as a GIF. Honey badger would be rightfully pissed - and we wouldn't want that. ;) I'll fix it up if you like.

Thanks. Everybody is stepping up, most of all Catfish. I don't know where he finds the time.
It's called multi-tasking. ;) Now I have my template pretty much set, creating new scenario pages is quite a simple process; production line. I'm certainly no wiz with wiki markup (first time for me).

:goodjob: from me :D

I have just downloaded IrfanView so I will give the units transparent backgrounds.

My AHB Avatar used at Apolyton is 17kb but CFC's maximum is 10kb. I have no idea how to reduce this so your help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, have you done it already or has my attempt to upload a 17kb png as an avatar gone through? I guess the latter as you wouldn't be able to alter my account settings.

Attachments

• AHB.png
    AHB.png
    17 KB · Views: 238
It says 100 x 100 pixels or 6 kB, whichever is smaller, in my options. I tried uploading a 16 kB PNG for my avatar, but the forum software automatically converted it to a 3.8 kB JPG. Yours has been converted to a 2.52 kB JPG.

I found the picture via a Google image search, captioned 'honey badger will **** you up!' I've attached two JPGs: 100 x 100 (4.75 kB) and 80 x 80 (3.26 kB).

I see the grinning idiots are getting a workout here. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Honey_Badger_100.jpg
    Honey_Badger_100.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Honey_Badger_80.jpg
    Honey_Badger_80.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 223
Honeybadgers are no idiots. They are pretty allrounders and have great endurance. Something you need if you stick with civ for such a long time ;)

Works for me. I'll give you privileges tonight when I can get to a desktop. Thanks for your help.

The problems started when the wiki was linked to the Civfan home page. I've added a login requirement and a recaptcha, but the spam just keeps coming. I figure restricting page names might be the next step. If you have any suggestions please bring them up.

Restricting page names sounds like a great idea. There's certainly a lot of them with "diet" in the name.^-^

Going by a guide to Combatting MediaWiki spam, I think we should put at least these two things in place:

1. The ConfirmEdit extension, which adds a captcha to page edits that add links, etc. They might be getting past one captcha, but a second one doubles the amount they have to pay their freelancers.

2. The SpamBlacklist extension, which would let us ban links to certain sites (and we can use Wikipedia's list of bad sites).

TitleBlacklist and IP address blacklists look useful too.

I like it. I'll add the first two extensions tonight and the next two if needed. I do think I will leave the captcha requirement off of page edits, at least for now. Seems like that could be a pain while we're uploading and rebuilding.

It says 100 x 100 pixels or 6 kB, whichever is smaller, in my options. I tried uploading a 16 kB PNG for my avatar, but the forum software automatically converted it to a 3.8 kB JPG. Yours has been converted to a 2.52 kB JPG.

I found the picture via a Google image search, captioned 'honey badger will **** you up!' I've attached two JPGs: 100 x 100 (4.75 kB) and 80 x 80 (3.26 kB).

I see the grinning idiots are getting a workout here. :goodjob:

Thanks Catfish, I think I will go with the bigger JPG. Beautiful bugger! (The Honey Badger, not you!)

Honeybadgers are no idiots. They are pretty allrounders and have great endurance. Something you need if you stick with civ for such a long time ;)

I love the Honey Badger, what a beastie! Check out these you tube videos, amazing: Most Fearless animal on earth, vs Monitor, vs Leopard.

Sorry for the thread jack. Just had to share the love of the AHB! :D

Ainwood is in the process of cleaning up the Civ2 links section. He's waiting for a reply from one webmaster. Is anyone here having trouble accessing Eyn's World? Ainwood says it's still alive; every time I try to access it, it times out. He's removed the dead Cradle of Civilization link, which we can replace, but still needs to change the SL wiki address.

Beautiful bugger! (The Honey Badger, not you!)
You haven't seen me in person. ;)

I love the Honey Badger, what a beastie! Check out these you tube videos, amazing: Most Fearless animal on earth, vs Monitor, vs Leopard.
Commentary on the monitor lizard video is particularly idiotic. Attenborough is king.

Must be just me then.

To reduce image load, I was thinking of splitting up the units category page into separate pages for each of the sub-categories. Units is a category, after all. It would mirror the topology used for the scenario pages. There is in excess of 5 MB of images on the page already. So, for example, you could have 10 units pages all belonging to Category:Units:

Ancient Units
Middle Ages Units
Age of Discovery Units
Industrial Units
Early 20th Century Units
World War II Units
Modern Units
Sci-Fi Units
Fantasy Units
Mixed Unit Compilations

What do you think?

Must be just me then.

To reduce image load, I was thinking of splitting up the units category page into separate pages for each of the sub-categories. Units is a category, after all. It would mirror the topology used for the scenario pages. There is in excess of 5 MB of images on the page already. So, for example, you could have 10 units pages all belonging to Category:Units:

Ancient Units
Middle Ages Units
Age of Discovery Units
Industrial Units
Early 20th Century Units
World War II Units
Modern Units
Sci-Fi Units
Fantasy Units
Mixed Unit Compilations

What do you think?

Sounds good. I don't see a problem. The current page loads slowly anyways.

Restricting page names sounds like a great idea. There's certainly a lot of them with "diet" in the name.^-^

Going by a guide to Combatting MediaWiki spam, I think we should put at least these two things in place:

1. The ConfirmEdit extension, which adds a captcha to page edits that add links, etc. They might be getting past one captcha, but a second one doubles the amount they have to pay their freelancers.

2. The SpamBlacklist extension, which would let us ban links to certain sites (and we can use Wikipedia's list of bad sites).

TitleBlacklist and IP address blacklists look useful too.

Ok, I have installed:

• ConfirmEdit
  • TitleBlacklist

I had trouble installing SpamBlacklist. I added the command line to localsettings after uploading the extension files and the wiki gave me an error. I don't know if the extension is interacting poorly with another extension. For the time being I'm going to keep the command line off. If the spam is not stopped then I can look into purging some additional extensions and see if I can get it to work.

I skipped IPaddressblacklist for now. Let's see how the new captchas work.

Right now all logged in users should be able to edit a page with no captcha appearing. However, the following actions for regular (non admin/bureaucrat) logged in users are subject to captcha verification upon saving:

• Page Creation
  • Adding a URL upon editing

I have also added captchas to account creation and login failures.

If anyone has any issues please post them here so we can make any changes that are necessary.

@Catfish: Do you want admin/bureaucrat rights? Might as well seeing as your doing a lot of the work.

Ok, I have installed:

• ConfirmEdit
  • TitleBlacklist

Awesome!:D I've now toughened up the keyword list a bit and verified that it works by registering a new user and trying to create a couple pages with spammy titles.

I also went through the Orphaned pages list and deleted everything spammy on it that we hadn't caught yet. The League should be spam-free for now.:)

I had trouble installing SpamBlacklist. I added the command line to localsettings after uploading the extension files and the wiki gave me an error. I don't know if the extension is interacting poorly with another extension. For the time being I'm going to keep the command line off. If the spam is not stopped then I can look into purging some additional extensions and see if I can get it to work.

That's a bummer. So far we are only seeing new page spam, but we might see spammy vandalism of existing pages in the future and I think this would have cut that off ahead of time.

Still, I think this a great start and the going should be easier now.:goodjob:

Top Bottom