Korea and Ancient Wonders DLC Video!

Still patiently waiting for someone to download the Korea DLC and tell us what the exact UA bonuses are. A screenshot of the opening screen as Korea would be nice.

Please consider doing this before you get absorbed in your first test run.

Wow -- superb Wonders_Scenario concept with all the progress bars in "Victory" categories...

Attachments

• Opening_Korea.jpg
    Opening_Korea.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 438
  • Ancient-Wonders_Scenario.jpg
    Ancient-Wonders_Scenario.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 479
turtleships should be able to travel ocean tiles but go slower through them

Who is playing the Hittites?

Suleiman. I am pretty disappointed that they didn't do new still leader art for this scenario.

But, having just completed my first go at it, I have to say I really liked everything else. The mechanic of unlocking the different wonders by accumulating tech/culture/gold worked well and the civs (especially the Sumerians and Hittites) are nicely distinct.

Darius was steamrolling ahead in my game: the Hittites had the Oracle, Greece had the Colossus and I had the Gardens, but he was annoyingly productive and was racing ahead, snatching the Mausoleum from me on the same go I was going to finish it :(. So I went for the Great Library, and used it to grab Steel, and rush him with Longswords.

He had a pretty huge army, but couldn't withstand my steel, and I took his wonder cities without too much bother. Then foolishly I sued for peace (to avoid a bloody cleanup) and waited for someone else to finish the Lighthouse, as I (in Sumeria) had no coastal cities (another mistake :/ ). Guess who finished it? Darius. In some coastal powerhouse that slipped under my radar.

The game ended, and he won by about 100 points. :sad:

The scoring is interesting: you don't seem to lose the points you gain for building a wonder when they are captured -- just your conqueror gets them too. Despite me controlling 5/7 wonders and the Great Library, he was able to win.

What does the Oracle do? I see you're meant to send Great People to it?

It acts like a cheat sheet: you get to see other leaders' wonder progress.

I'm not sure on the details, or how useful it is, as I never used it in-game. You naturally need Open Borders with whoever built it, and once I was crushing Darius, Muwatalli had taken against me. But it would have been nice to see Darius sneaking the Lighthouse. :p

US$4.99 for three wonders? Is this a joke? (Serious question, surely there's more to it than that and a scenario which I doubt many people play).

Would 2.50 be OK? Just buy Korea as well and that's the price.

That appears to be the extent. Three wonders. Probably voice recordings by Morgan Sheppard (can anyone confirm?), wonder art, and graphics. Plus the scenario.

US$4.99 for three wonders? Is this a joke? (Serious question, surely there's more to it than that and a scenario which I doubt many people play).

A lot of people play the scenarios, all of which are very well done often with new unit graphic art and sound assets. The scenarios are a main draw for many people.

Would 2.50 be OK? Just buy Korea as well and that's the price.

That appears to be the extent. Three wonders. Probably voice recordings by Morgan Sheppard (can anyone confirm?), wonder art, and graphics. Plus the scenario.

Yep, new voice recordings are present.

I've spent the whole afternoon playing the WOTAW scenario, plays brilliantly, I'm really enjoying it.

Which Civs are in the wonders scenario? Are there Assyrians? What are the UAs, UUs, and UBs for the new civs?

Yes... right here!

They're beautiful. I sometimes think the price of DLCs is worth it for the graphical art and music alone. I mean, people would pay 2.50 for 3 postcards wouldn't they.

They're beautiful. I sometimes think the price of DLCs is worth it for the graphical art and music alone. I mean, people would pay 2.50 for 3 postcards wouldn't they.

I don't buy postcards. :p

People usually use latte examples, but this is even cheaper than that. I live in DC, so I could say it's the cost of a metro ride. It's certainly cheaper than parking for the day. It's the price of a soda and a bag of chips at Subway.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time right now, so that de-motivates me slightly. I'm sure the scenario is fun. I played the Mongol one, which was OK, and I played 1066, which I liked. I figure I might as well get these too. I wish they had a bit more unique art, though. 1066 might have been the height of production value for a scenario. Granted, I had started work on a Fertile Crescent scenario and my plan was basically the same (Suleiman for Hittites and Harun al-Rashid for Sumeria), but I have fewer resources at my disposal. I don't suppose they added any new unit art?

It's certainly cheaper than parking for the day.
lol, where I live a DLC is even cheaper than parking for 45 minutes :lol:
(But that's because parking is insanely expensive @ 5 euro an hour /offtopic)

Slightly more ontopic:
I've played the WOTAW-scenario and I really, really like it. Nicely done with the different ways to unlock the wonders :)
Also I've played a quick half game with Korea, but still need to get my bearings on what strategy to use. It's a nice civ though, and I like the music :)

When I buy it, I'll go WOTAW. Mostly just because it'll be quicker.

Which Civs are in the wonders scenario? Are there Assyrians? What are the UAs, UUs, and UBs for the new civs?

Hittites - Muwatallis (played by Suleiman :p)
  • UA: First to Iron - strategic resources provide +1:c5production: and get twice as much horse and iron from sources.
  • UU: Heavy Chariot (Chariot Archer) - melee unit with 12:c5strength:
  • UB: Lion's Gate (Walls) - + 2:c5gold: and +4:c5strength: and culture and gold cost of tile acquisition reduced by 25% in city.

Sumeria - Gilgamesh (played by Harun al-Rashid :p)
  • UA: Land of Two Rivers - Free GS from Writing, and all units pay only 1 movement to enter any tile adjacent to river.
  • UU: Phalanx (Spearman) - available earlier (Mining, not Bronze Working) and stronger (8:c5strength: rather than 7).
  • UB: Ziggurat (Temple) - +3:c5culture: and +25% :c5science: in city

Egypt - Ramesses II
  • UA: Cult of Osiris - +1:c5culture: from buildings that produce culture
  • UU: War Chariot as vanilla
  • UB: Nilometer (Watermill) - +15% :c5food: and + 1:c5gold: from floodplains.

Greece - as vanilla.

Persia - as vanilla.

The two new units, Phalanx and Heavy Chariot, have new art as can be seen on the Steam store page:-

Sumerian Phalanx
Hittite Heavy Chariot

Love the Sumerian Phalanx. The great thing is they essentially invented it, but the Greeks were so much better at it. Still, when you have one with Hoplites, the other can have a Phalanx. It makes more sense than calling it a Vulture (same unit, but Vulture was essentially a work of art depicting the soliders, not the soldiers themselves).

I'm sure Sumeria and the Hittites will make it into the main game eventually. With the new DLC system, the developers have every incentive to add as many civilizations as possible. In fact, I rather like it, because when we do get expansion packs, the main selling point will be more game features instead of just lots of civs. At least I hope so.

Exactly! This is how I look at it too.
It keeps the game fresh with new content and gameplay changes every so often and hopefully an expansion will come out with new or revised game features.

I'm in a game with Korea right now and I'm pretty happy with them so far. A manufactory in early game suddenly becomes a major power tile. I've also built 2 of the 3 wonders so far (with Zeus in production) so we'll see how they work out. Regardless, a new civ and 3 new wonders will definitely make the game way different for a while.

Top Bottom