Small Continent Plus ?

Magean

Prince
Hi,

I've just read on another thread that the last DLC map packs had a script called Small Continents Plus.

Regular Small Continents is my favourite map type : I'm very fond of unpredictable and sinuous landmasses that offer a good naval experience, though not as extreme as Archipelago, while delaying a bit player encounters - which in turns also helps early warmongers since they don't get the diplomatic penalty. I like both the balance and the feeling of playing in a "pretty" map - that is to say, not a couple of big, massive and ugly mounds like the Continents script often produces.

So, I'm quite interested in this map pack... though only for one script in it. I won't play the real world maps in it.

That's why I'm humbly asking you, generous Civfanatics, to tell me more about the Small Continents Plus if you've bought it.
If it's basically a Small Continents with CS placed over small islands the way Continents Plus does (as compared to Continents)... then, it doesn't interests me.
But if it improves the generation of landmasses, draws better islands... then I say yes.

I would also really appreciate to see a few screenshots of Small Continents Plus maps (normal map size in preference). If possible, in game screenshots with the "reveal all" command so that I can see players and CS placement.

Thanks in advance for your replies

I'll whip up a few screenshots for you so you get a better idea, gimme a tic. Honestly, I prefer it over the standard Small Continents. It's especially good if you put low amounts of water.

What it mostly does is enable a lot more Sea-Travel in the early eras. Much less ocean dividing the continents. Caravels don't lose their usefulness fully, but you can get a lot more mileage out of your early trireme. There's a good amount of 1-to-3 tile islands scattered across the ocean making these "sea bridges" possible.

Here's a screenshot, I used IGE but didnt alter anything:

What you can see is that there's an easy sea bridge both to the continent Rome is on, as well as to the neighboring empty continent. Which, in turn, has another sea bridge towards the continent with Siam and Polynesia and the Inca. So it's quite possible to find all civs without astronomy, yeah.

Thanks ! I suits me. More island chains than vanilla script, but CS are not occupying all of them.

Small Continents was my favorite map for the same reasons you listed, and Small Continents Plus feels even better. I managed to get the Scrambled Packs during the Steam sale for a song, but even at full price, I think the Scrambled Continents pack is worth it just for Small Continents Plus. I haven't even played the real world continents yet but they might be fun to try someday.

Biggest issue I have with the "plus" maps on continents is there tends to always be a trail of coast from the continents (similar to archipelago) so it becomes possible to scout all civs before Renaissance. I like being trapped in my section of the world before Astronomy and Navigation.

Top Bottom