R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Also, as for France, many tanks are left out. The FT-17 was still serving in large numbers, and the Char D1s and Char D2s serving as well.

Also, you should be able to base planes in your allies cities, for example, the US air force in britian and the luftwaffe in Romania.

Playing 1939 as the Soviets - I'm at May 20, 1941, and there has still been no event that triggered the annexation of the Baltic states, and I have not ever been at war with them. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

You dont annex the Baltic states, atleast I've never seen that happen while playing as Germany. Not sure if events differ when it comes to ai vs player controlled, but in case it does not matter who is in control. My guess would be that having the Baltics being states that are 'just' allied with the Sovjets, might give Germany an easier entry point when the war starts.

When I've played the 1939 scenario as Germany, the Soviets take the Baltic states some time in 1940.

Hi Gedemon, i have a couple of ideas that may improve this mod:

1. I think the naval aspect of the game should be revamped, so that instead of one destroyer unit taking up a spot on the map, you can add it to "fleets" much like you add aircraft to cities and carriers.I think this will make the navies more realistic by giving the player more control.

2. Naval units should be cheaper, weaker, and have less health so that one destroyer will take ages to build and to destroy. This will also make aircraft more important because in WWII, warships were extremely vulnerable to air power. (E.g. Two British battleships were sunk by Japanese bombers in the Far East during the early days of the Pacific War)

3. Allow lighter tactical aircraft like dive bombers to be based anywhere while giving them shorter range. This will mean that a sudden breakthrough can overrun airfields without having to take a city.

4. Make torpedo bombers. These dedicated naval strike aircraft will help to enhance realism as they were used extensively in the Pacific by both sides. They will also give carriers more striking power against other fleets, which was their original role.

That's all i can think of for now, and just so you know i don't mod Civ, so I'm not sure if these suggestions are easy, difficult, or even possible.

Just my point of view but I like the navy like it is. It takes time to build and it can’t be sunk by a single hit. To air sunk a ship a lots of planes where needed to assure at least one good hit. In Pearl Harbor the American where able to salvage almost all the ships sunk in the bay except a battle ship if I remember correct and it was made in record time. One thing tough, I saw the AI bombing destroyers with level bombers making 1 point of damage and receiving 20-30. The AI did it until the plane was lost (level bomber where plane like the b17). It is actually easy to sunk a ship with the right combo of units, to sunk a battle ship you start with a sub and/or a cruiser then a battle ship followed by destroyers. Of course the lack of plane specialize in ship bombing is lacking but a mosquito upgraded in ship bombing do well. One thing wierd is that you can put heavy bombers in aircarrier tough.

Hello, I have a problem when I start a game with your mod : at the first turn everything works fine, but when I press the button to finish the turn, civ5 crash. I have the v.28, I tried with several countries, I disabled all the mods except Mongolia, I checked the game files, I reinstalled the mod, but the problem is still here. What can I do to resolve this problem?

Just my point of view but I like the navy like it is. It takes time to build and it can’t be sunk by a single hit. To air sunk a ship a lots of planes where needed to assure at least one good hit. In Pearl Harbor the American where able to salvage almost all the ships sunk in the bay except a battle ship if I remember correct and it was made in record time. One thing tough, I saw the AI bombing destroyers with level bombers making 1 point of damage and receiving 20-30. The AI did it until the plane was lost (level bomber where plane like the b17). It is actually easy to sunk a ship with the right combo of units, to sunk a battle ship you start with a sub and/or a cruiser then a battle ship followed by destroyers. Of course the lack of plane specialize in ship bombing is lacking but a mosquito upgraded in ship bombing do well. One thing wierd is that you can put heavy bombers in aircarrier tough.

Yes, the fact that it takes time to build a good navy is true. However, I still think that ships are too strong defensively because it takes ages to sink a ship. You do have a point with using unit combos to sink ships, but i think most countries cannot field a big enough navy to do that with all of their enemies.
I liked the fleet idea because its realistic, seeing as how right now a battleship is the same size as London and a naval battle can take up half the ocean.

Hello, I have a problem when I start a game with your mod : at the first turn everything works fine, but when I press the button to finish the turn, civ5 crash. I have the v.28, I tried with several countries, I disabled all the mods except Mongolia, I checked the game files, I reinstalled the mod, but the problem is still here. What can I do to resolve this problem?
can you post your Lua log please ?

Yes, the fact that it takes time to build a good navy is true. However, I still think that ships are too strong defensively because it takes ages to sink a ship. You do have a point with using unit combos to sink ships, but i think most countries cannot field a big enough navy to do that with all of their enemies.
I liked the fleet idea because its realistic, seeing as how right now a battleship is the same size as London and a naval battle can take up half the ocean.
Critical damage are planned for ships, as torpedo bombers and allowing only historic embarked aircraft on carriers.

It has been a long time since I played CiV and the other day I decided to revisit the game. Naturally the first thing I did was to look for an update to this scenario.

I started a new hotseat game as both Germany and Italy. I am in August 10, 1940 and having so much fun.

Can you believe that the Ai is fighting excellently? I have not conquered France and have only successfully taken Strasbourg. The ai seems to use aircraft and tanks to maximum advantage. Every time I capture Bruxelles or Metz he immediately counter attacks and kicks me out. I am playing at Deity difficulty level. If France can survive until 1941 I will lose this game because I'm sure once the Soviet Union jumps into the war I will not be able to handle both Franch/UK and the Soviet Union.

Great scenario Gedemon.

Having the following issue:

-Playing '36 Europe: when conquering Denmark in turn 7 game is constantly crashing.

Any idea what to do?

Since restarting playing your mod i have been really enjoying my game as France, but their are a couple of minor things that have been annoying me.

Firstly I dont think Germany should be able to attack me through Belgium and Switzerland without being at war with them and secondly i dont like how when I lose a city the units that are on the hexs that flip to the enemy can be cut of from being resupplied, instead it would be better if when a city is captured the hexs that are occupied by your units should remain under your control.

It has been a long time since I played CiV and the other day I decided to revisit the game. Naturally the first thing I did was to look for an update to this scenario.

I started a new hotseat game as both Germany and Italy. I am in August 10, 1940 and having so much fun.

Can you believe that the Ai is fighting excellently? I have not conquered France and have only successfully taken Strasbourg. The ai seems to use aircraft and tanks to maximum advantage. Every time I capture Bruxelles or Metz he immediately counter attacks and kicks me out. I am playing at Deity difficulty level. If France can survive until 1941 I will lose this game because I'm sure once the Soviet Union jumps into the war I will not be able to handle both Franch/UK and the Soviet Union.

Great scenario Gedemon.

I was having the same scenario of take and lose, losing the invading unit each time. I counter that by surrounding the city with units before taking it.

Is there a workaround for the fall of france crash that anyone knows of? It appears to happen 100% for me during the 1936 and 1939 scenarios, regardless of faction.

Forgot my earlier post, I don't know what happened, I did the same procedure and it worked.

Some ideas (I'm not sure if these can be done/fixed, I have never tried modding for a C++):

Ability to bomb(ard) specific tile improvements, including technical inter-tile ones like bridges.

Chance that bombing a city could destroy a building, such as a factory. The building would have to be rebuilt for less production cost.

For some Reason, the USSR AI refuses to defend it's European front which is faltering while Russia is sending its troops to China. I have used the Live Tuner to give them more units, and they sent half of them to China, once more. I don't think you can easily fix that, though.

Ability to Place air units and paratroopers in friendly cities. It disappoints me that I can't reenact D-Day with the paratroopers landing behind the front line.

Thanks for the great mod. Very complex, you guys have definitely done your research about this war, and I can't stop playing.

I've got a little problem with this mod, everything is working fine, i can start and load saves and so on, but all units are like spearmens or something like that, got this problem with an other mod too, i installed everything, data-files and core-files. I dont know what to do, please help me =/

Few people reported crashes when conquering cities (Fall of France, Denmark etc.). Is there anything we can do to help you figuring out what causes this bug? Or can you imagine what's the problem, because it appeared some times before?

I help myself by conquering everything but the capital. ^^ But it doesn't feel the same.

Btw: is there any chance to turn off this scripted events like divided poland or france? For example when playing Stalin and conquering Warsaw as the last City of poland i would still be the owner of all the cities in west-poland? I don't know if it is possible to escape these part of mod from code (like making fall-of-france-part a comment or so) to avoid crashing till problem is fixed...

Greetz,
Kelestra

I've got a little problem with this mod, everything is working fine, i can start and load saves and so on, but all units are like spearmens or something like that, got this problem with an other mod too, i installed everything, data-files and core-files. I dont know what to do, please help me =/

Update the core mod to v.28 (available on steam and now also on CFC for mac users)

Top Bottom