How does the Pressure system work?

The tooltip number you see is outgoing Pressure generated by the various populations of followers within the city. If external Pressure is being applied from nearby cities, you won't see any evidence of it in that city until a new follower of the external religion appears in the city. So, to find out what the external pressure is, you'll have to look at all cities within 10 hexes and add it up yourself.

Not the best UI... but that's Civ V for you.
Having played more, and having sent Missionaries to spread religion in distant cities, I have noticed that in a few cases, a very distant city with followers of my religion does not display any Pressure. But then later, when I spread religion to an intermediate city, linking them up, now both foreign cities display Pressure. So now I'm not sure if the Pressure displayed is some kind of amalgam of internal and external Pressure, or if there are some weird rules that we don't understand yet.

It's a bewildering, obtuse, arcane, poorly-designed UI.

It does appear that the Holy City generates more Pressure than normal.

Do not use an Inquisetor this way - it will purge the minority religion (yours).

I was under the impression the Inquisitor would purge any religion different from his own, and that his own religion was fixed at the time he was purchased by the majority religion of his spawning city.

So if Rome is Hindu, buys an Inquisitor, and then gets converted by a Great Prophet during Greece's turn to Islam the Hindu Inquisitor can step in on Rome's next turn and purge Islam from Rome again.

- Marty Lund

@mlund: That's been my experience too, and it would be nice if there was some indication of what religion the prophet/missionary/inquisitor belonged to. The religion UI on the map could definitely use some love in a future patch.

Edit - Just discovered that the religion is listed in the hover tooltip on the unit's icon (which I never look at, and had forgotten existed) - still, pretty unintuitive place for it.

The pressure listed below the icon is the INCOMING pressure of religions.

The reason your holy city shows (+20?) pressure the instant you found a religion is there needs to be a way for your religion to hold its own within its own walls, hence the "ghost" pressure to insure your holy city remains loyal to you.

Once another city has a follower, it will then list that religion's incoming pressue.

Incoming pressure is +4 pressure per city (at least on epic speed) exerting force on the city in question... For example a city surrounded by three Jewish cities would be receiving +12 Jewish pressure.

It's so funny how confused everyone is about this.

Anyway, I can at least confirm that using an inquisitor in your holy city (made from a foreign religion) WILL stamp out your religion's followers. A friend just did that in a MP game with me by accident, and now his religion ceases to have any followers in the world.

In fact, his holy city no longer shows any pressure from his original religion. I'm not sure if that's accurate, or if it simply displays that way since there are no followers with with to show that bonus adjacent. In several turns, I guess we'll find out if a follower just appears on its own.

Several ways of doing this come to mind. The most obvious is that he used an Inquisitor unit. That completely purges all competing religions from a city. It is also possible that he threw his own Great Prophet or Missionary into the mix on his own turn, converting your converts.

Also, you can't wipe out a religion by converting all its followers. The city where the religion was founded will still exert severe pressure on its own population to convert to the religion founded in the city - even if that population has 0 followers.

On top of that you can't raze capitals, so in general there is no way to exterminate a Holy City. It'll keep reconverting followers over and over and over again. I think you'll need to conquer it and continuously repress the cultists that keep cropping up indefinitely. You can also do what you did on your reload and just convert all the other cities around in such a way that his Holy City can't flip them with its own pressure.

One part I'm confused about is what religion your missionaries, inquisitors, and great profits will enforce if your Empire is a majority foreign religion but you have your own Holy City.

- Marty Lund

capturing the holy city then bringing in the inquisitor was effective for me. maybe it doesn't stop all pressure but it definitely cuts it way down.

Okay well this is interesting!

After my friend accidentally wiped out all the followers of his religion, of course he was still generating faith.

Well, he left it alone and the automatic Great Prophet spawned. This prophet was of his ORIGINAL (wiped out) religion, even though the city the prophet came from was 100% for my religion.

So this looks the one way you can come back if your religion is wiped out: the auto Great Prophet stays true to your original religion.

Hey there,

So I was doing a game with the Byzantine Empire earlier and seemed to spread my religion pretty successfully. I founded first and wound up with it being the world's dominant religion, with Judaism about 10 cities behind it by the time I saved up for the day and took a break. I've been curious though as to how the religious pressure factor is actually determined. Can anyone shed some light on it? Is it based on how many nearby cities are using that religion, or some other factor? I assume the bonus to religion spread speed plays a part in determining it?

Having played more, and having sent Missionaries to spread religion in distant cities, I have noticed that in a few cases, a very distant city with followers of my religion does not display any Pressure. But then later, when I spread religion to an intermediate city, linking them up, now both foreign cities display Pressure. So now I'm not sure if the Pressure displayed is some kind of amalgam of internal and external Pressure, or if there are some weird rules that we don't understand yet.

I observed this as well. I missionary bombed a city state really far away from me so that I could have my religion spread with max efficiency (i.e.,spread from my capital but also spread from far away at the same time), but no "pressure" showed up on that CS (I am assuming, and am now convinced, that "pressure" = "outward pressure") until I had an intermediate city have my religion.

This mechanic makes sense to me because otherwise, someone could simply missionary-long-bomb a bunch of different places, which seems a little overpowered. Forcing a religion to be contiguous before it exerts outward pressure makes sense to me.

You should join the other thread... it's insane that there's still no consensus on whether "pressure" means outward pressure or inward pressure. The folks are split 50/50 on that thread I think.

It does seem that pressure is only generated from outside of cities, and not inside... and only by religions that have a majority in a city. I sent a missionary to an isolated island with two city-states on it, and converted 5 citizens in each of the two cities. Neither city afterward displayed any pressure, nor did I notice the number of followers in either city ever increased.

I can understand that in order to generate external pressure a religion might require a majority, but it seems odd that a city without any religion would not eventually be converted by internal pressure from even one follower.

No idea, I do not like how we get no message when it spreads though!! Was waiting forever for my cities to get Taoisim, and finally broke down and got missionary, but then i looked to the east where Japan and Mongolia were, Japan had 3 cities that were now Toa and Mongolia 1!! I had roads to my cities, you would think they would see the light 1st! I think the holy city forces pressure out. And this just picks up speed as more citizens get converted. I know there are 2 city states by me right now, and I am forcing + 4 pressure on each one, so far they each have 1 citizen that are Toa. They have pops of i think 15 and 12. so once the 15 gets to 8, and the 12 gets to 7 they convert. It has to force outwards, any other way would seem crazy.

Edit, Also to the north is Isabella who founded Christianity, she has 2 cites that are Tao, and are getting pressured from me and her capitols. :) I just knew when I found her we would both have differant religions, she was the casue of 90% of all my wars in IV.

Somewhat on topic, I remember reading that spreading religion to CS has benefits, can anyone confirm? I know there are spreading religion quests but I think I read it raises the minimum influence level?

Ok now I'm swayed to the "pressure = inside pressure" school of thought. Holy cities have constant "ghost pressure" as someone mentioned. Everyone else has pressure from other cities, plus pressure from their own citizens. I'll test this out.

IN my game it seemed meaningless anyway as great prophets would run through converting 4 or 5 cities at a pop every 20 turns. So the pressure system was laughably slow/irrelevant compared to that.

I tried surrounding cities with pressure to make my religion spread faster. I would send missionaries and great prophets past the first city and spread it to the second city. Doing that I was able to cover my whole continent with only a few missionaries so I won't count out the pressure system yet. I haven't tried hitting up every city on the way yet so I don't know what is better, but I was able to by calculating the math of tens tiles spread my religion back towards me at the same time as away. First G&K game and I plan to have my religion rule them all.

Somewhat on topic, I remember reading that spreading religion to CS has benefits, can anyone confirm? I know there are spreading religion quests but I think I read it raises the minimum influence level?

It's a 25% reduction in the speed that you lose influence with them.

I think the biggest problem with religion right now (and it's mostly a perception/immersion problem, as opposed to a gameplay problem) is the instantaneous nature of the conversions.

Establishing your beliefs about the supernatural (whether you're atheist, agnostic, or theist) is a fundamental, deep-seated process. When the game bounces it around so flippantly, it's just inherently immersion breaking and a little offensive.

IMHO GPs and missionaries should add temporary pressure buffs to cities (while inquisitors would remove heretic pressure), instead of performing outright conversions (although I think it's reasonable to allow GP/missionaries to straight-up convert a small number of people who don't have a religion). These pressure buffs would end up producing the same results, it would just happen over time.

I think the biggest problem with religion right now (and it's mostly a perception/immersion problem, as opposed to a gameplay problem) is the instantaneous nature of the conversions.

Establishing your beliefs about the supernatural (whether you're atheist, agnostic, or theist) is a fundamental, deep-seated process. When the game bounces it around so flippantly, it's just inherently immersion breaking and a little offensive.

IMHO GPs and missionaries should add temporary pressure buffs to cities (while inquisitors would remove heretic pressure), instead of performing outright conversions (although I think it's reasonable to allow GP/missionaries to straight-up convert a small number of people who don't have a religion). These pressure buffs would end up producing the same results, it would just happen over time.

um when Jesus is at your door I think you will automatically become Christian

Hovering the cursor over a city shows the number of followers present for a religion as well as the amount of pressure that religion is exerting. So, what is pressure based on? I know it's something emanating from all civ's within ten tiles, but is it 1 pressure per follower in a city, or is based on the amount of faith being generated, or what?

Top Bottom