Naeralith Reborn: MODMOD Design and Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the evil ones are quite diturbing, especialy Shaelana. I think that is mostly due to the sensitive parts of the male anatomy involved, but still.

This mod looks like it could be pure awsome. The end of the tech-tree seems to move into magically powered steampunk witch is awsome, and the leaders are interesting (if a bit disturbing). I've following the developement for a while, and it keeps getting better!

I've got some spell ideas floating around, if you are still interested. They mostly involve necromancy, and since you havn't posted anyting about how you plan on implement it they might not be suitable for the mod. Still, if you are interested i'll post them.

Hehe yeah tried to make Shaelana's as horrible as possible really. Seeing as she is descended directly from the one being that is probably most hated in the world lol

Steam punk is what I aimed for at the end of the mod. You move from literally nothing at the beginning right the way through to high powered steam punk tech. I'm going to have to rigerously playtest and balance what I've produced. It is only the first draft so far. But many tweaks will obviously appear with coding :)

Im glad you've been following the design phase. Any of your ideas would be most welcome. The more input into the mod the better, and I am keen to hear what the community thinks of these ideas :)

Whatever suggestions you have about Necromancy, I am all ears. I havent fully designed the "Black Arts" civic yet (or any of the magic civics). A good place to start is Margoria, who will probably have a lot of undead UUs (eg I'm going to give them a Banshee unit with the Music tech etc). At the moment there is little in the way of Undead so let me know what you'd suggest for this area :)

Thanks for the interest Hankc :D

Al

Fixed a small typo I found in the leader file. Gone from 5 views back down to 0 lol

Al

Okay, well I kind of started with the most classical ways to handle necromancy in games: reanimation and death-spells.

These are all combined spellspheres, it felt like it was easier to come up with ideas.

Fire+Necromancy

Raise Pyre Zombie: Quite uninspired, but all art etc. is allready there, plus what is more befitting for these spheres than raising a body and setting it on fire? Easy to do, but a bit boring.

Water+Necromancy

Brew Poison: For this combo, poisons seems very apropriate. This particular spell would create an item, either one use or random number of uses, like Orbis healing potions. When used it would add poison attack for one combat. Perhaps +2 or some such. I figure the bonus should be fairly significant, as it has very limited amount of uses.

Summon Ghostship: Pretty self-explanatory. A water-based summon, quite powerfull, so it should probably require high levels in both spheres.

Air+Necromancy:

Banshee Wail: Some kind of death spell. Either damage or %chance to kill units in target stack.

Thats pretty much it. I hope at least some of this turns out to be usefull. If I get any more ideas, I'll be sure to post them.

Okay, well I kind of started with the most classical ways to handle necromancy in games: reanimation and death-spells.

These are all combined spellspheres, it felt like it was easier to come up with ideas.

Fire+Necromancy

Raise Pyre Zombie: Quite uninspired, but all art etc. is allready there, plus what is more befitting for these spheres than raising a body and setting it on fire? Easy to do, but a bit boring.

Water+Necromancy

Brew Poison: For this combo, poisons seems very apropriate. This particular spell would create an item, either one use or random number of uses, like Orbis healing potions. When used it would add poison attack for one combat. Perhaps +2 or some such. I figure the bonus should be fairly significant, as it has very limited amount of uses.

Summon Ghostship: Pretty self-explanatory. A water-based summon, quite powerfull, so it should probably require high levels in both spheres.

Air+Necromancy:

Banshee Wail: Some kind of death spell. Either damage or %chance to kill units in target stack.

Thats pretty much it. I hope at least some of this turns out to be usefull. If I get any more ideas, I'll be sure to post them.

Nice ideas :)

I'll look into incorperating them into the magic design. Am off to Nottingham to meet some clients for a couple of days. Will work on some more design when I'm back :)

The ghostship spell is a really cool idea! :crazyeye:

Any other ideas you get, just post them here :)

Al

Glamor Illusion 1= Wisp = make strange lights flutter around the enemy, blinding and distracting them. Mechanics = give 50% chance each unit to give 'distracted' promotion which gives it negative strength modifier or something.

Glamor illusion 2 = "Insert C001 name Here" Makes the enemy see something they hold dearly. Mechanics, 30% chance to give enemy "immobile" promotion, which prevents them from doing anything for a few turns. 50 % chance then to give them "awestruck" promotion which prevents them from attacking

Glamor illusion 3 = erm... will think about :shifty:

3rd for Illusion to be "Plunge into the Ether", 10% chance to turn each unit in stack into Illusion racial tag for set amount of turns. Maybe 50% for hero/adventure units. For that nifty heal 100% after combat, of course with the limit that they cannot kill (offensively) while an illusion :D. Maybe also negate terrain movement cost for illusions "in the ether" as its a mainly discorperal avatar of the unit which is halfway or mostly in the Shadowplane/Ether/Veil

Upon skimming the Techs, PHILOSOPHERS STONE catches my eye. imo I like the Idea and the unit effects. That being said, unless tech is quite hard to come by I would argue to make the building more potent or the item less potent. Otherwise it is a no brainer to use as Item whenever at war. Maybe u wanted it to be mainly used as item? I suppose +200% science in city could be overpowered, but only 50%? That being said, if its supposed to be an obvious choice to use as the item then I dont have a problem with a weak building u "happen" to have when in complete peace.

Some nice suggestions! Will think on these spells :)

On the subject of the Philosopher's Stone, it is mainly supposed to be used as an item I guess. I was inspired by an anime series I watched a few years ago (Full Metal Alchemist). The philosopher's stone is kinda like a magic amplifying device. Watch the series... it is very good :)

Will have some time to work on stuff this weekend considering it is a bank holiday. Ahhh bank holidays :)

Expect updates soon!

Al

I love full-metal, but like the manga version better. The anime was superb too

Tiny Update:

Added a new race. Am working on some leader descriptions now :)

Btw Full Metal Alchemist was great :)

Al

I've noticed that you have 3 desert survival civs, this seems kind of unbalanced.

Maybe. They just have the ability to cope better with desert than other civs. The Newetah to a lesser extent.

Might change to blasted lands for the Rath'kaa or something.

The idea was so that desert regions will fill up with Kysume and Rath'kaa if possible. If you have any better suggestions I'm all ears :)

Al

Good news, I shall be able to do some writing today. I will work with the philosopher's stone next

Good news, I shall be able to do some writing today. I will work with the philosopher's stone next

Hehe cool that's good :)
Maybe you should take some inspiration from Edward Elric in that room with all the red stuff ;)

How did the Circus of Wonders come along? Or did you decide not to do that one? :)

Al

I just sent the one with Circus of Wonders, pretty impressive that I wrote that in less then 15 minutes :eek:

Edit: I actually had the way I was going to write Philosopher's stone out, but perhaps I should make the sorcerer very short, blond boy with an armored left hand :)

Edit 2: All ye lurkers, ya better write too or i chop' yer arms' offs!!!

I just sent the one with Circus of Wonders, pretty impressive that I wrote that in less then 15 minutes :eek:

Edit: I actually had the way I was going to write Philosopher's stone out, but perhaps I should make the sorcerer very short, blond boy with an armored left hand :)

Edit 2: All ye lurkers, ya better write too or i chop' yer arms' offs!!!

Hehe the Circus entry was funny. I especially like the end ;)

You should post your ideas here too so people can see them (if you are comfortable with that) :)

Like the idea of a VERY VERY short blonde boy with a metal hand.... hehehe, if he were here I'd so be dead :D

Will be posting some updates tomorrow. More leaders. Good ones too for once lol :)

Al

Ah, glad you liked it, philosopher's stone will be written in different style from that (This proves that I have insane trait! Yaza!!!(three, count them, six exclamation marks!!!))

Edit: I can't count! There obviously is 11 exclamation points!!!

Al showed me the Circus of Wonders entry as well Seon and i must agree you have quite the flair for writing :) very nicely done (and i laughed at more than one point. particularly the end ;) )

Yeah I was chuckling a fair bit hehe. Might be a bit slow on the updates. I've written two leaders up. Finishing off most of the female ones for some reason. Leaving me mainly with male leaders to write.

Am gonna wait to post untill I have another 2 or 3 leaders written. Also will be finishing off the civics. Sorry about the delay people. Some stuff has come up today!

Will try to get something done mid-week :)

Al

UPDATES

Added 5 new leaders. Seem to be finishing off mainly my female leaders at the moment. Many more males to come. Have added two leaders for Ralaeya, and two for Athesia.
Also added another for Scarthia: Alzara himself! He is a very difficult leader to get. You cannot start as him!

Also finished off my civics, uploading them and re-uploading the tech tree to match.

Will be working on more lore so hopefully some more updates will follow soonish :)

Also contemplating a couple of new civs to complete the list. Might post links to the pics I am intending to use for leaderheads also.

Enjoy the new lore and civic design :D

Al

i was bored so here are a few cross sphere spells for nature magic that i just pulled out my Ars3 :p

Nature 3 / Fire 1 - Desert Spice (sacrifice the nature 3 promotion to create a source of Spice in the owners square with a plantation)
Nature 1 / Fire 3 - Seedbomb (sorcerer fuses explosive energy in with the growing plant, and enchants it so when it touches soil explosive plant growth occurs, but at the same time an inferno explodes out, creating a fire with a source to burn (basically an area effect low colateral damage spell that starts forest fires)

Nature 3 / Earth 1 - Strangling Vines (Sorcerer causes thick ivy to climb city fortifications, breaking apart stone and mortar, and providing strong handholds for soldiers to climb (strongly reduces city defence, possibly destroys any city fortification buildings.)
Nature 1 / Earth 3 - Revenge of the Earth (If cast on a forest, summon a treeman wit hstrong promoton, if cast on a hill summon an earth elemental with strong promotion, if cast on a forested hill, summon both a treeman and earth elemental with weak promotion.)

Nature 3 / Water 1 - Swampgas (sorcerer turns grassland into swamp, and if cast on swamp summons a Swampgas unit, 5 poison strength, 2 move, hidden nationaility, attacks weakest enemy unit, transfers poisoned promotion)
Nature 1 / Water 3 - Tropical Rainstorm (sorcerer summons a tropical rainstorm, turns all forests adjacent to the caster into jungle and turns all grassland and plains into marsh for 20 turns, has a chance to destroy improvements (flooding))

Nature 3 / Air 1 - Whispers of the Woods (sorcerer talks to the trees, sending messages out on the wind. cast in forest or jungle. reveal all tiles that are also forest or jungle in contact with the same forest or jungle the spell was cast in, 3 turn duration, 3 turn cool down (cannot cast another spell i nthat time or move)
Nature 1 / Air 3 - Summon Roc (sorcerer summons a gigantic eagle (permanent) which can transport 2 units)

not sure about the spells that summon units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom