UB Shrines module discussion

Deon

Lt. of Mordor
I was planning to do this soon, but I simply don't have ideas for all the civs, so some brainstorming would be nice.

What if every Shrine would be unique for every civ?
Some synergy would be good, but without too much to avoid disbalance issues. I want it to work in a small rewarding way and also give some more uses for "uncommon" religion-civ pairs.

Example:

Necronomicon:
Lanun: +1 :hammers: from Ocean; free Air I promotion for all Naval units built in the city.
Hippus: free Amphibious promotion for all Mounted units built in the city.

I have ideas for most shrines already but some brainstorming would be nice.

That would be...plenty of work :D

Anyway, would it unnecessary to make every shrine UB for every civs? There are several civs that lore-wise don't match with several shrine (Svart Empy, comes into my mind :p). Would it not more feasible to make just several shrine UB for several civs, those that lore-wise match? Thus, it works as added flavor. Sheaim will rush-find AV because they have a Stigmata uB which is more powerful, etc?

Would it not more feasible to make just several shrine UB for several civs, those that lore-wise match?

Of course, you can found the shrine of a religion without adopting the required religion. It's possible to forbid so in the XML, I think it works even with the build-by-gp shrines, though I may be mistaken.

You could still conquer the shrine, or switch to a religion for bulding a shrine, then switch out of it, though.

The reason I want to do it IS to make unusual combos to be more flavourful.

Like a "Radiant woods" shrine for said Svartalfar. It's still possible for Lugus to sneak some kind of a wonder tree in dark elven forest, and it would look better than "Dies Diei" for them.

Something you could do and could make it modular (I like modulars), would be to create unique buildings that can be built when a shine is in a city. Set it so that if a city is captured or traded, the shine dependent building is lost. This lets the new civ build there own version. Make it have a very high AIvalue (999) and 1 hammer and it would get built asap.

I agree, but it all depends on how much modding you are wanting/willing to do. It may take some .dll and/or python work that way. Doing it modular would allow the player to port it to their favorite mod platforms (ie Wild Mana).

I will admit though that I am a bit biased toward modular mods ;)

Ok I think I am getting what you are saying (brain not work without coffee). You mean like the desert shrine is a replacement for the Pagan shrine. Yea that would work, but may still require some python work (for unique abilities like making the ground under the SotU hell terrain). I dont think it could be made modular though...

(be careful I may have to steal your idea, make it modular and add it to my modular mod :p Naa I wouldn't do that untill I see what you do:))

The reason I want to do it IS to make unusual combos to be more flavourful.

Unusual combos are already effective enough. Most of the civs have no or very few things making their lore-appropriate religion more attractive for them.

Unless your changes will be only graphical.

Top Bottom