[Scenario] Earth - 1936

(I'm assuming your telling me I can now right?)

not just yet, the new units definition system is still not finished. I'll post when it's ready with a small tutorial on how to add new units with it :D

Hey,
I´m pretty new to this mod but I think you have done a pretty good job on it.

Although I tried the earth '36 scenario and game continued to crash during the computer turn of UK.
I tried to log it to find the source and it seems to be Convoys to Edinburgh and Manchester that seems to make the game crash?
I know its alpha stage and all but I thought I might as well make the debugging a bit easier by trying to identify some of the issues. ( I tried to delete the cords to manchester but then the game crashed with edinburgh instead) made it to turn 18, after i deleted manchester i made it to turn 15 i think )

"[1357.910] RedMain: - Convoy, key = 278560,6,7, unit #23/23
[1357.910] RedMain: Automoving convoy unit...
[1357.910] RedMain: - Testing destination plot at : 10,77
[1357.910] RedMain: - Plot is city...
[1357.910] RedMain: - Edinburgh belongs to convoy's owner and is not blockaded !
[1357.910] RedMain: Trying to move unit to 10,77
[1358.706] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[1358.706] RedMain: Check if Convoy (id=278560) has reached a destination near (56,42)"

-Crash-
( I didn't post the crash with Manchester because the problem is the same, "trying to move unit" )

Thanks so much :)

PS: my version is
Datafiles v4
ww2 Edition v37
so everything should be up to date :)

You can use ingame editor and delete the last convoy listed in the lua.log. I had to repeat the procedure half a dozen times over the course of a hundred turns, but it was worth it. It let me finish the game.

in game editor?

IGE or ingame editor is a mod you can download and use within the game, you add/delete units change state of city and things like that..

is it available on steam?

this version is very unstable. tried playing 4 games as japan and all crashed within 100 turns (1 crashed on the 12th turn :( )

the 1942 earth for wahtever reason is very stable for me, but the building list is still woefully incomplete (you cannot build most buildings on any city, you have ot hope the city already starts with it)

BioWare employee here.
Hey Gedemon, Great mod.
T_KCommanderbly, love the map.

So I've just been gutting through as Japan through around 110 turns. Crashing extremely frequently (about every 5-15 turns), until I encountered a new crash from Germany.

My LUA log says this

[40447.143] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[40447.143] RedMain: Saving data table ...
[40447.455] RedMain: SaveData() used 0.30699999999999 sec to store CombatsLog in plot 0,2 (#entries = 548)
[40448.266] RedMain: SaveData() used 0.80799999999999 sec to store Unit in plot 0,1 (#entries = 1146)
[40448.282] RedMain: SaveData() used 0.028999999999996 sec to store Reinforcement in plot 1,0 (#entries = 62)
[40448.298] RedMain: SaveData() used 0.0010000000000048 sec to store ProjectsDone in plot 1,1 (#entries = 24)
[40448.298] RedMain: SaveData() used 0 sec to store DynamicMap in plot 1,2 (#entries = 8)
[40448.298] RedMain: - Total time for all tables : 1.145 s
[40448.298] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[40448.298] RedMain: Auto-Saving is ON ...
[40448.298] RedMain: Saving: RED_WWII_Autosave_EndTurn
[40450.965] RedMain: - DIPLO AI: Send diplo statement to Hideki Tojo

--CRASH--

Can anyone identify what this means exactly? It looks like a civilization is about to contact me but it fails. If the issue can be identified then I can use IGE to hopefully edit out the problem and continue.

Also T_KCommanderbly, it would be really nice if you could update this mod to disable British convoys until you can fix their issues as they were 99% of all my crashes.

Thanks!

anyone have a workaround on how to reload from a save and alter somehow the mechanism that is allowing the game to crash? i'd like to progress through an existing game, but i cannot get around some of these.

In my recently discovered ability to view lua crash reports, the convoy thing appears to be very buggy, but so does certain launches of triggers from projects (like invasion of norway and invasion of england

the specific workaround to the british convoys to Manchester and Edinburgh crashing - with ingameeditor, what do you edit? Just remove the specific british convoy outlined in the lua?

Is anything else involved? Because i've tried just editing out the specific convoy, but the game still seems to want to try to move it, and its inability to move it is still causing the crash.

If you delete the convoy that is causing the crash with IGE, it removes it from the game so it should no longer present any problem. Eventually, you will run into the problem with a different convoy and will have to delete that convoy as well. But other than that, all I had to do was go to the turn right before the crash, use the Lua and IGE to find the problem convoy, delete the convoy, end the turn, and everything worked. There were times when a different convoy caused a crash on the next turn, but that was solved by repeating the process.

Since the crash happens on some systems and not on others, it could be that this work around won't work for you, but it sounds from what you said (" the game still seems to want to try to move it") like you did not get it deleted. Make sure that you are using the IGE function to delete the unit/convoy.

Let me explain;

The crash that i get AFTER the convoy is deleted looks like this:
[274040.326] RedMain: - Convoy, key = 319524,6,10, unit #24/24
[274040.326] RedMain: Automoving convoy unit...
[274040.326] RedMain: - Testing destination plot at : 9,74
[274040.326] RedMain: - Plot is city...
[274040.326] RedMain: - Manchester belongs to convoy's owner and is not blockaded !
[274040.326] RedMain: Trying to move unit to 9,74
[274040.591] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[274040.591] RedMain: Check if Convoy (id=319524) has reached a destination near (76,31)
[274040.872] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[274040.872] RedMain: Check if Convoy (id=319524) has reached a destination near (76,32)
[274041.121] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[274041.121] RedMain: Check if Convoy (id=319524) has reached a destination near (75,33)"

It isn't actually moving the convoy, it's checking to see if the convoy is where it thinks it should be. From this i infer that some internal game mechanism keeps track of where the convoys are, outside of their physical location on the map. If this is the case, then simply deleting the convoy isn't stopping the crash, because regardless of the presence of the actual convoy unit, the game mechanism (i think a R.E.D. script that moves them automatically) is trying to move them, and failing the ability to move them it crashes.

The log is saying that there is a convoy within one hex of (76,31). It looks like it should be at either (76,30) or (77,30). I'll bet that you will find a convoy there and that if you delete it, you won't crash (or at least you will crash on something later in the AI turn.)

I agree with your assessment on an issue with moving them cause the crash. That is why deleting the unit with the issue prevents the crash. Once you delete the convoy, it is removed completely from the game and so the script isn't triggered for the deleted convoy.

Like all good science, trial and error takes tremendous investment of time. The stable workaround i've managed after 5 or 6 crashes is to go back _two_ turns before the crash and delete the convoy that will cause the crash. I haven't until now, but from now on im going to note the specific tile and turn# of the crash-causing convoy and see if we can determine a pattern (unless its known to be specifically random)

On a separate issue, i'm playing as Germany and i just noticed the trade routes aren't connected, and its an incredibly disadvantageous strain on my economy. It'd be eminently stupid if this was a special rule against Germany prohibiting trade, because all of the buildings cost the same and that loss of gold alone hamstrings Germany pretty terribly early on.

Any idea on a workaround for enabling trade routes?

Fixing the trade routes of 1936 germany should be a high priority for T_K and gede, either way. Looking forward to seeing if this shyt crashes when Austria and bohemia get annexed

edit;

Germany starts without an official capitol, so adding the Palace structure to Berlin fixes this.

But on a separate note, the timing of triggers like annexation of Austria and occupation of Prague are very broken and don't happen all the time, and sometimes they happen at the backwards times.

Here's the British convoy workaround that I'm using that fixes the constant convoy crashing by disabling the British convoy actions. (Temp fix until T_K does a sanity pass on the convoy routes)

Download Notepad++ (It's a userfriendly programmer notepad program that will help you look through the lua scripts)
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Locate ScriptEarth1936.lua in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 37)\Lua\Earth1936

Open with notepad++

Locate the British Convoy section in the LUA file. (Use ctrl+f)

Inside the section, comment out every UK transport function with "--".
Example: function GetUStoUKTransport() would become "--function GetUStoUKTransport()"

If the text turns green then you're good.

Again, this is just a temp disable. British convoys will now not exist in your 1936 Earth map.

also germany cannot train or buy antiaircraft guns/howitzer/field guns - a major disadvantageous given the constraints of the smaller tileset map of europe where france is already crowded with units

also germany cannot train or buy antiaircraft guns/howitzer/field guns - a major disadvantageous given the constraints of the smaller tileset map of europe where france is already crowded with units

That's because the scenario was never updated when those units were first added to the game. So none of the civilizations have those units.
Go to "C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 37)\Lua\Earth1936" and open DefinesEarth1936 with notepad. Scroll down until you find "--Available Units for Major Civs" and add AT_GUN, AA_GUN after ARTILLERY for every civilization.

Top Bottom