TSG7 Results and Congratulations

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
A list of the submissions for this game is assembled here. The list is compiled by date.

First place :trophy: goes to DaveMcW with a 450 BC domination win. Nice work and extremely fast date. :bowdown:

Second place :trophy2nd: goes to spirit_ with a 200 AD domination victory and third :trophy3rd: goes to Morcar_civ5 with a 680 AD domination win. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the spoiler write ups. Enjoyed them and the discussion, learned a lot.

:thanx: to all who played the game and participated in the discussion and to AlanH for compiling the results. :goodjob:

I played over 4 hours because i can't shut off animations. Should be under 3 hours at least...it's a bug and i have to live with it. But fortunately i almost never play singleplayer mode.

Congrats to all players!...and DaveMcW for his incredible finish date.

I got the fastest culture win. Ok, so it's the only culture win.

pretty sure he posted a domination win, not diplomatic ;)
Thanks.

Interesting that his post says domination yet the parser says diplomatic? :confused:

Have to check on that.

The parser has to extract text from your save that tells it what your victory condition was. That text is in the language you play in, and I have to tell the parser what each VC looks like in each language. I hadn't told it what Domination looks like in Russian yet, as I didn't have a save with that text. I have now, so I've fixed it. :thanx: The only Russian one I am missing now is Science.

AlanH

Ok ;). So, i don't know what exactly written in save file, but in Hall of Fame Science victory would sound like "Технологическая победа", but in game(by F8) name is "Научная" :). So additionly i could search for the save where science victory is achieved and send it to the mailbox you point me to ;) Also if you still have any questions about Russian version just ask me, and i would try to help!

Thanks. If you send me a science victory save (or if there is one in the Hall of Fame beta thread), I can add that to the parser's vocabulary. Please send it to alanh (at) civfanatics (dot) net.

The parser has to extract text from your save that tells it what your victory condition was. That text is in the language you play in, and I have to tell the parser what each VC looks like in each language. I hadn't told it what Domination looks like in Russian yet, as I didn't have a save with that text. I have now, so I've fixed it. :thanx: The only Russian one I am missing now is Science.

sigh.. more bad coding practises. :crazyeye: (Firaxis side)

It should just be a variable stored within the save file as an integer that lets the localized game translate it for them.

Storing it as a specific language seems a poor plan; especially if you want to pass the game over to someone who doesn't have that language installed ;)

It probably is stored as an integer too, but the save hackers gave up after they found the text version. ;)

I am getting a bit bored of domination victories.
Is everyone convinced that "fastest finish" means the same as "domination"?
Can we start giving 4 first-place awards? (Or even 5 for those lovers.)

It probably is stored as an integer too, but the save hackers gave up after they found the text version. ;)

I am getting a bit bored of domination victories.
Is everyone convinced that "fastest finish" means the same as "domination"?

I wouldn't mind a change from 'domination' only games...

domination is only 'fastest' in the lower diff. levels. It's still there at the higher levels, provided the map is packed with everyone close. Else, if an island/continents game, domination disappears from the vocabulary for 'fastest'.

You're quite right. I'm sure it is an integer ... somewhere. I didn't give up immediately I found the text, but I fairly quickly decided that extracting and interpreting the event log text is a lesser challenge.

It's a major needle+haystack task to find the binary data without the Firaxis DLL code to give us clues about the save format. And if they still plan to issue that code, it would be a waste of effort to attempt that level of reverse engineering now.

BTW. If anyone has any other non-English saves with different victory conditions, please feel free to send them to me at the above address. Civ4 had all its multi-lingual text messages stored in XML text files, but Civ5 only seems to install what you need for the OS language you are using.

We haven't started giving *any* awards yet. Dunno what leif is doing waving those cups about!

We haven't started giving *any* awards yet. Dunno what leif is doing waving those cups about!
I will come to leif's defense ...

The cups are smilies, not official award icons, right?

In the context of fastest finish, first second and third exist conceptually, icons or not, awards or not, right?

So what's wrong with leif applying unofficial smilies to existing concepts, even in an awardless game? :mischief: ;)

I think he is giving "recognitions", not "awards".

dV

I was trying, in a light-hearted way, to forestall the obvious riposte to my claim that we aren't giving awards out. But I clearly can't win :( :dunno:

Top Bottom