News: TSG 139 Announcement

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////[/CENTER]

Welcome to the 139th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, Hammer Rabbi or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG139 Details:
Player (You): Pachacuti of the Inca
Victory Condition: Science No other VCs are enabled, Difficulty: Emperor
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/16
Map Type/Size: Continents+/ Standard
Game pace: standard
POLICY INCLUSION YOU MUST COMPLETE THE PIETY AND EPLORATION TREES

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era, World age 3 billion years, sea level low, abundant resources
Enabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement, RAGING BARBARIANS, NO ANCIENT RUINS

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Korea, Spain and Inca, Babylon, Mongolia, Denmark, Explorers maps, Wonders of the Ancient World DLC. Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Incan Unique Abilities:

Spoiler :
UA: Great Andean Road -units pay no movement costs to enter hill, no maintenance costs on improvements in hills. Half cost elsewhere.

UU: Slinger - a Unique unit that replaces the Archer. It weaker than the archer but has a promotion that allows it to retreat in the face of a melee attack

UI: Terrace farm - a special farm that may only be built in hills it produces one extra food for each mountain that it is adjacent to

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by earliest date and highest score ). We will issue a medal to the top winner (based on earliest date finished for each VC). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends August 15th, 2016.

The save will be available for download on july 15th, 2016 midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

That looks like an awesome start. Will move my warrior south to take a peek first, but will probably settle in place rather than move next to a mountain. Expos can have mountains.

Actually, I should probably move my warrior west...

Getting enough SP to fill exploration + piety is the difficulty here. Unless you plan on not getting to tier 3 ideology or filling tradition, any fast victory will need to think hard about SP.

Looks like Order is in order here because it's not that important to get to Freedom lvl 3. Might not even need to finish Ratio, who knows. It's gonna be a screwy game alright :D

every mtn is another observatory and it's a science game. just sayin.

That's why I decided to investigate west instead of south. See how many river/mountain hills there are on the other side of the mountain. The grassland next to the mountain might be good. The hills and rivers around will help with defense -- but it doesn't have the production and the luxes are farther away. It's a tough choice.

So you want us to finish Piety and Exploration and achieve a science victory?
I can see where this is going, Tradition won't be needed.

Filling out Exploration when sea level is set to low is cruel because it will be filling out a useless tree for no positive effect.

Acken is going to win anyway :lol:

(We need more score victories so I can win them :lol:)

I thought Sclb was making a joke about Exploration and Piety... just looked at the announcement again and that's really a requirement! D'oh!

I guess take Piety kind of early (it sucks to go Piety and miss still founding a religion) and put Exploration off until the industrial era or so. World's Fair will be a must to get enough policies.

So you want us to finish Piety and Exploration and achieve a science victory?
I can see where this is going, Tradition won't be needed.

Filling out Exploration when sea level is set to low is cruel because it will be filling out a useless tree for no positive effect.

Acken is going to win anyway :lol:

(We need more score victories so I can win them :lol:)

Why don't you think tradition will be needed? You could certainly do it without tradition, as its on emperor and not deity, but I doubt the fastest times will ignore tradition.

Getting enough social policies will definitely be an issue. Need to gain enough to fill out 3-4 trees while still getting whatever ideology stuff you want. Although to me this eliminates usage of ideology a lot more than it eliminates the use of tradition or rationalism.

Culture shortage could be a huge problem in this though. Expanding too large will be extra punishing.

Personally, I'm most interested to see the effect of only enabling Science as a victory condition. Will that gimp the AI too much? Do they adjust to that and not use military or cultural strategies as much? Or were a bunch of science civs chosen to compete with?

With the requirement to fill out Exploration, I am going to try and find the coast. With the requirement to fill out Piety, I will skip Tradition and Liberty. It is very hard to choose between Rationalism and Ideology though! I will see how the SPs are coming along, but six in Freedom or Order seems more important than finishing out Rationalism.

I'm most excited about these:
World age 3 billion years, sea level low, abundant resources

That means
1. more hills, which for the Inca kinda flips food concerns on their head. Plus, coming on the end game, you can flip your terraces to mines to crank up production.
2. more mountains, so more observatories; could be nice to go medium-wide.
3. no cargo ships, so canvassary might actually be worth a build.
4. a possibility that there won't be a happiness shortage because there will be so many luxes? hopefully they're unique!

I'm seeing a huge influx of $$ in a game like this, and a religion that synergizes with that could be powerful. Alternatively, a religion that boosts cultural production could make a big difference in filling out policies. Unfortunately, a strong religion is a bit at odds with a small enough civ for a good rate of social policies. Here are my first thoughts on religion:

Pantheon: Tears of Gods or God of Open Skies. Tears are solid with a three-gem start, but God of Open Skies is pretty much guaranteed to produce a chunk of culture for a looong time, especially with abundant resources (?).
Founder: World Church or Tithe; World Church culture from City States could be killer, but Tithe could make gold production go off the charts to buy culture buildings without having to divert too much attention from the science game.
Followers: Buildings! Obvi imho. What could be more apropos than faith and culture?
Enhancer: Holy Order will probably be a boon for founder belief out with the early faith boost from Peity to out-pace other religions in neighboring un-religioned civs. Religious Unity could also help beast on those City States.
Reformation: Jesuit Education to turn all of this darn religion effort into some SV payout.

As for Exploration, I can see getting hidden antiquities as being very uesful. The rest... not so much? It's a pretty sour lemon of a tree with low water levels.

Overall, I'm very excited to give it a go and see what comes out!

Perhaps there is more coastline :mischief:
We are likely looking at a large drop in players when 6 arrives, so im having fun being capricious for a few games.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I will jump onto the Civ 6 GOtM's when they come around, but a fully patched civ (civ5) is quite different than one in the process of getting expansions and whatnot (civ6). If we keep getting fun settings like these I can see myself continuing to fit these into my month :3

I will jump onto the Civ 6 GOtM's when they come around, but a fully patched civ (civ5) is quite different than one in the process of getting expansions and whatnot (civ6). If we keep getting fun settings like these I can see myself continuing to fit these into my month :3
The choices are a reflection of my boredom with the standard game. We all know how to play a 4 city tall game, the various changes force different ideas and plans

The choices are a reflection of my boredom with the standard game. We all know how to play a 4 city tall game, the various changes force different ideas and plans

Or they just make the standard game more challenging.

Cool idea for a game, but I could do without raging barbs. Or barbs, really. They slow the game down in a very dumb and random way and on Emperor they stay relevant almost the entire game because the AI doesn't clear anything.
So randomly on turn 120 a camp will spawn on one little coast tile somewhere and eat 4 cargo ships. It's the dumbest, least fun thing about civ V lol

Top Bottom