TuxLife

On a side note, I strongly approve of branching- I hate looking at evolutionary trees that show one species evolving into the next evolving to the next and so on with no other branching relatives. Evolution does not work like that- the goal of each evolution we make should be to create a successful species from a current species in one step, not to make a bunch of intermediate species on the way to a long-term goal.

As nice as that sounds, that would mean several evolution for a single turn of a single species, which isn't according to the rules. The best we can get is having the "previous" animal still survive (which is strange on its own) in order to evolve another branch out of it. I personally see it as a newer species that "looks" more like the old one (a basal form animal) that still survives in side niches that the "higher" newer and usually less versatile and more expert in a smaller niche species didn't get into. For example in this turn I consider the Tailus Smellus to be an higher free swimming animal that prefers the open spaces and large plankton masses while the "older" Tailus are species that remained where Smellus didn't love (like the seabed in this case) and evolved furthering themselves from the Smellus (by moving to eat plants) as competition directly with it will result in a loss, he is much more adapt to living at the open sea.

Or people can abandon their pet projects every few turns and help out other branches, and some branches could go extinct without the players throwing a fit. Crazy thought, I know.

Spoiler :
Vampira Major: Omega124
Evolved from: Vampira Minor
Genes (): Eating Dead Things x1, Flesh Eating x1, Crawling x1, Teeth x1
Description:While the start of what could be considered teeth started with the evolution of the Vampira Minor, it was not until the Vampira Major where they could match to the skill of the claws of Crawlers. Using teeth to kill and disember its foes, it also helps making the food easier to digest by cutting it down.

Vampira Stomachus: Omega
Evolved from: Vampira Major
Gene added: Complex Stomach x1
Gene removed (optional, you may remove up to 1 gene): N/A
Description: The Vampira Stomachus arosed by the needs of the Major to deal with the evolutionary war with the Crawler family. The need to get more energy from food was paramount. Therefore, a more complex stomach developed so more energy could be gotten from a meal. This way, the new Vampira could go longer without meals, or hunt for longer periods of time.

Or people can abandon their pet projects every few turns and help out other branches, and some branches could go extinct without the players throwing a fit. Crazy thought, I know.
I don't mind getting extinct ;) Right now thou most species are way simple and versatile to go massively extinct.

I don't like evolving outside my phyla but I do always try to make as many branches as I can without losing the race. Perhaps a rule against evolving a new species on the next turn (unless it is having a hard time and is stated in update that i can continue evolve?)

Lets not over-complicate. If people want to pursue a single goal, let them. We shouldn't force people to evolve things they are not interested in.

Lets not over-complicate. If people want to pursue a single goal, let them. We shouldn't force people to evolve things they are not interested in.
Yeah. Those who do straight lines to extreme expertise should also go extinct first ;)

Milarqui... why would it attack when it didn't have Flesh Eating? Like the Clawer, it just used it's claws for defense because it will take too long to wait for putrefication.
They use the claws to catch any bugger that comes by and exponentially increase the chance that they can hit it with the spike. Can also use them for defense, of course.

I wonder how long it takes for living flesh->dead flesh (even with the special poison), considering that the Cutters dominated the sea floor in the Clawstrum Era, yet even though they killed plenty of people trying to eat their carrion they didn't eat those they killed.

Hmm... NK's evolution makes it more likely that the Haptor would move into the cold regions, since part of the reason for the Indagator moving there would be to avoid predation... hmm, should I change my evolution?

I wonder how long it takes for living flesh->dead flesh (even with the special poison), considering that the Cutters dominated the sea floor in the Clawstrum Era, yet even though they killed plenty of people trying to eat their carrion they didn't eat those they killed.

I don't know if there is any hard set time. I assume it is possible to consume animal or plant matter as an Eating Dead Things creature, but that little if any energy is gained since you need bacteria to break down the dead things for easier digestion.

That said, I have no real idea. So that said, look at this instead:

Spoiler :

Going to start working on Era 3. Please no changes to already posted evolutions at this point. If you plan on posting one, please do it soon.

I will pre-warn that this weekend I'll be too busy (2-year-old's birthday, company dinner, in-law christmas get together), and so I may make the ETA of this update Friday so that there is less of a wait between updates 3 and 4.

That, or I'll finish tomorrow and release it so that I can do preliminary work for 4 on Friday.

All of this aside, all weekends may produce longer waits between updates.

Hey, any updating is awesome with me :)

Working on the important bits as quickly as I can.

Creature Preview:

Era 3: The Skavounian Period

There was no notable events during this era. The climate remained relatively stable.

This era was so named due to the first signs of life emerging out of the ocean. The Tidal Skavoun was the first known creture to do so. It still remained pretty close to the water consuming the corpses of washed up creatures.

The Sun Drifter might occasionally wash up on shore and even survive for a while, but without a way to return to the water, it would eventually dry up. Most Sun Drifters remained in the ocean, but would spend most of their time bobbing on the surface.

The battle for top predator continued. The Cutter and the Vampira Stomachus attempted different strategies. The Cutter developed the first evidence of eyes. This allowed it to see food or threats and react before bumping into something. Many times another creature’s first sign that the Cutter was near would be the feeling of a claw digging into them.

The Vampira Stomachus improved its stomach. This allowed it to better handle the differing types of food it might eat. The energy gained meant the Vampira Stomachus spent less time seeking food overall. So it spent less time in dangerous situations and more time reproducing.

The Stabber and the Vampira Major went extinct due to competition from their descendants.

The two top predators continued to maintain fairly even numbers.

In the shallows, a localized region that might be named The Clanessia Killing Zone developed. In shallow, low-turbulence areas that were shaded by Peregrinors and Haptors, the Slimer Secondus continued to do well. Pieces of corpses fell from above, supplementing the lack of sunlight the Slimer Secondus received. The Artropodia Clanessia lived mostly in this area. However, though it still did not actively hunt, any wandering creature that miss understood the danger, quickly found its death in this area due to the claws and poison spiked masses. This steady stream of corpses provided for the Slimer Secondus and Artropodia Clanessia. Increasing both their numbers. Occasionally, a Cutter might try its hand at hunting in the area, but it was risky. Even if it could manage a kill, it could only eat so much before retreat was needed.

The Artropodia Milarca could no longer survive in the increasingly hostile environment and went extinct. Additionally, the Oronger was no longer able to survive on the surface long enough to reproduce and went extinct.

The Artropodia Nessia had an increasingly hard time avoiding predation and the Artropodia Clanessia inhabited the best areas already.

The Tailus Bentus also occupied this region. Nibbling on Slimer Secondus it used its electric sense to avoid running into the Artropodia Clanessia or the occasional predator.

Slimer Stabilius was not usually located in the area because of Slimer Secondus having a better growth speed in the low sunlight area. However, in faster currents where Slimer Secondus could not hold on well and sunlight was more plentiful, the Slimer Stabilius did well.

The Slimer finally went extinct. No more of the original species remained alive on the planet.

The Clawer Pheremoni continued to do well, but was found more often near the Slimer Stabilius instead of the Clanessia Killing Zone.

The Passenger continued to do well living on various creatures, mostly other plankton eating ones. The Artropodia Clanessia success increased the Passenger's numbers. The Tendrilled Passenger did well also, but was more often found on predators. It supplemented its energy supply by stealing it from others.

Found above all this action and in the open ocean, Tailus Smellus continued to thrive.

The Sun Drifter could be found bobbing on the surface. Peregrinor and Haptors continued to do well also. The Sea Drifter found it harder as the best plankton zones were now shaded from above by the Sun Drifter.

The Webed Eater out-performed its ancestor the Barbed Eater. It found plentiful food among the Sun Drifters, Tailus, and Tailus Smellus. Its ability for a quick pounce allowed it to no longer rely soley on getting bumped into.

The Floater Eater finally went extinct, unable to survive against predation.

The Tailus was starting to struggle. The competition from the Tailus Smellus had already reduced its numbers, and now the increased predation made the Tailus quite scarce.

In the cold shallows, the Orophulas continued to do well. It was joined by the Oratros. The Oratros started eating more of the green plants that grew plentiful in the area and less on the plankton.

The Frozen Slimer was now only one of two such food supplies. It began having more of its prime growing areas shaded by the cold water loving Indagator. The Indagator was descended from the Peregrinor and was regularly floating near the surface. Its star-like shape providing a green-blue galaxy for the blind Orophulas and Oratros.

In the deep sea, the Thermal Miner continued to do well. The Kato Skavoun also continued a comfortable existance, even if still eaten occasionally. The Altum Comedentis also maintained its population.

The Kato Toxicanum developed a toxicity to it that prevented it from being eaten as often by the Altum Carnem, however energy needs kept it from doing well and it struggled to maintain its numbers.

The Introvaas was the first deep sea creature that stayed above the deep sea floor. It slowly drifted in the dark waters for safety, occasionally swimming up to get better access to plankton.

Artropodia Clanessia gets Milarqui a +1 gene for its success.

Indagator gets Lord_Iggy a +1 gene for its success.

@ SouthernKing: Your goal seemed to be better access to the surface so I gve the Sun Drifter Water Retention. Lungs or Gills would be better suited to improve a species efficiency in movement and increase size since O2 or CO2 wouldn't need to be absorbed directly through the skin anymore. General respiration is assumed to occur through the skin as needed.

@ Somebody: I thought I had something to tell two people, but I can't seem to remember what the other thing was.

Creature List

Top Bottom