Best AI civs

Poland since BNW. Before that the Iroquios and Russia were always more likely to run away with it.

Nobody said Siam? It's true that Siam is often an inconsequential Civ, but when it consolidates its empire it can be an extremely hard opponent to deal with. You let him have its ways with CS and it becomes a powerhouse.

Other Civs that I frequently need to fight against in the end game are the Inca (frequently mentioned in this thread) and Haiwatha (Expansionist bastard).

Finally Persia. Whenever there's Persia in my game I know they're going to be a major power, they never failed to do so.

On a lower tier I put America, India, China, England and Austria.

Rome, Russia and Greece, while being generally good they have never been a real issue to me.

Pretty simple. I'm trying to play a game full of super strong AIs. Is it random who becomes the super powers leading in score or does the civilization play a part? I know France always becomes strong, can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Seems as though the European powers do very well in my games.

Germany, Poland, Russia and Rome usually always do well, all expansionist Civs with a decent to strong science focus. Add America as well.

Portugal as well if they evade early wars/pressure.

Greece can be a monster if he accrues enough City State Allies.

Persia will do well if they have a good starting spot.

Korea generally does not start off well but can zoom ahead in tech later on and be a real pain to fight as it will have more advanced units (I play on Immortal)

Will be interesting to hear other opinions on this.

Seems as though the European powers do very well in my games.

Germany, Poland, Russia and Rome usually always do well, all expansionist Civs with a decent to strong science focus. Add America as well.

Portugal as well if they evade early wars/pressure.

Greece can be a monster if he accrues enough City State Allies.

Persia will do well if they have a good starting spot.

Korea generally does not start off well but can zoom ahead in tech later on and be a real pain to fight as it will have more advanced units (I play on Immortal)

Will be interesting to hear other opinions on this.

Thanks man. But how can you say who's an expansionist Civ? There are no civ traits in five as far as I know. The civilopedia is definitely the worst in the series as well.

Yeh the Civpedia is pretty damn bad, however leader "flavours" has been discussed a lot regarding Civ 5.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Leaders_(Civ5)

Click on any of the leaders and view their expansion score. Shake is the highest at 11, however in my experience he is only a threat if you start right next to him. He tends to go all out aggressive and lag behind in science greatly, so unless he snowballs from a few early conquests he aint much of a Super AI imo.

Seems to me you could do setups that have hard civs for the choice you make. For example, playing a strong warmonger civ on a planet full of civs with strong war hate, or playing Brazil when surrounded by psychos, or playing Portugal on the same map as Venice and Mongols.

Oh, do I have a nice surprise for you! This particular rendition is new to me, but it makes it easy to make informed choices about opponents, see: CivData.com

Wow that's super useful. But one thing I don't understand... when talking about aggresiveness there are really three categories. Under green (traits) boldness, under purple (flavors) Offense, and under red (diplomacy bias) War.

So... a mix of all... or war? Lol. Man, this was so much simplier in 3 and 4.

Yeah, I can't say I have the different categories sorted out. So look for opponents where all three numbers are high!

I would do this if I made a game:

Rome: Always he does well in everything

Greece: will steal all city states

France: very expansionist and good at military held off shaka and Atilla in my last game

Inca: in almost all my games they're in they seem to know what they're doing and do it quite we'll.

America: Usually excels at almost everything but unlike others on this list he's more of a loyal ally so he would be by choice to team up with here but if greece died he will steal the city states.

Poland: usually a powerhouse late game but not a surprise to me they got IMO the best UA.

Zulu/Aztec/Germany: either could work they're all good.

As for Korea didn't add them as Id expect they would just get trampled by the others depending on map.

Civs that you definitely want to add in:

1) Poland: Just, a great civ, a great UA, the bonuses are enough that the AI usually does a pretty decent job with them.

2) Greece: The addition of Greece in the game makes city states that much harder to take. The game is very different when Greece is or isn't in there, and much more difficult when Alexander creates his alliances with all of the city states.

3) Iroquois: I'm not sure why, but the AI does well with them. Just the right expansionist flavors for success I guess.

4) Zulu: Probably the best warmonger AI civ in the game. He'll be a pain to someone. It may be you.

5) Siam: Same reason as Greece. This guy will just plain out annoy you, steal all your city states, and be generally strong but tough to kill.

And.. For the other civs, idk, none of them strike me as particularly amazing in the hands of computers, so take these suggestions as less decisive.

6) Russia. They're a nuisance, get a pretty strong religion, and will attack you as soon as they run out of expansion room. Expect backstabs from them.

7) Ethiopia. Good luck establishing a religion if they start off near you. I think I just saw another missionary. Wait, no, that's another five missionaries and a great prophet. And they're all headed towards your capital.

That's probably what I would choose if I were choosing a standard game with seven AI civs. That would be a pretty tough game.

EDIT: I just remembered, Spain is another potential option. Isabella is my personal nemesis in civ. They don't always cause problems for me, but they've caused me some memorably miserable games.

Moderator Action: Two best / strongest AI civ threads merged

i would have to say siam, ethiopia, persia and the arab guys . althou i only play on king . i am suprised to hear washington and the inca dude , they are always at the bottom when i play, especially washington, ever since civ 4 he has been the at the bottom of the list. on the anoying list is monti, attila and greece. somehow they show up in every game and while not being close to winning they are generaly aggressive and annoying.

Never played a game where Catherine didn't do well, same with Elizabeth.
Washington can become a powerhouse when he gets his UU or if he's in a warmongering mood.
Gajah Mada is always a pain in my side.

The AIs that make life hardest I think are:

Venice and Austria (for obvious reasons)
Alexander
Arabia (He monopolizes trade with his UB)

and then after that, any religion spammer or nearby warmonger.

My wife and me play LOTS of LAN on Emperor. (higher lvl,the AI cheats to much :p)

in our case she plays always Russia, and me mostly Rome

Hardest opponents :

1 Ethiopia
2 Indonesia
3 Germany
4 Carthage
5 Portugal
6 Spain
7 India

we rule out Austria,because of the diplomatic marriage

worst are Elizabeth,Greece,Napoleon

but we mostly play Archipelago ,with 12 Leaders and 40 city-states

Greece
Shoshone....(Wow,...can't believe I am the only one mentioning them)
Russia
Poland

Top Bottom