Caveman 2 Cosmos

I too got black terrain but all I had to do to fix it was save at 12000 BC and reload the save. Also yeah epic does get the most neanderthals, but it's the perfect game speed for this mod (in my opinion.) Eh, I'll just go the easy route with no barbarians.

Also I can get the game to run now, I just have to wait a bit longer.

For those that don't want Neanderthals spawning in the game:
Just remove the folder Neanderthal from Assets/Modules/Custom_Units

THAT's the easy route.

How come the different roads never appear in the civilopedia? Is there anywhere I can find out what each road type does?

Is anyone else having the problem with Great Generals not earning experience?

Ha! I think I have a place for you to look. Stack attack got some of my troops killed unexpectedly so I turned it off. Now my Great General has started earning experience.

For those that don't want Neanderthals spawning in the game:
Just remove the folder Neanderthal from Assets/Modules/Custom_Units

THAT's the easy route.

This destroys the Neanderthal Embassy wonder also. The way you are supposed to turn it off is to edit UserSettings/Neanderthal Spwn.ini and change
Code:
# Enable Neanderthal barbarian units to spawn.
# Default: True

NeanderthalSpawn__Enabled = True
[Spawn Rate]
to
# Enable Neanderthal barbarian units to spawn.
# Default: True

NeanderthalSpawn__Enabled = False
[Spawn Rate]

How come the different roads never appear in the civilopedia? Is there anywhere I can find out what each road type does?

There is no place int the Civ IV pedia to place route information. No one has modded it to do so as far as I know.

There is no place int the Civ IV pedia to place route information. No one has modded it to do so as far as I know.

In AND (1.6x->1.74, that's all I played up to), roads were placed in the Improvements section of the pedia. I just noticed that routes weren't in the pedia just now actually.

Hey there,

I'd like to thank the modding community for bringing us Rise of Mankind, A New Dawn and of course Caveman 2 Cosmos. I can assure you that I have never played a strategy game that enternaining and which offers so much replayability.

In AND (1.6x->1.74, that's all I played up to), roads were placed in the Improvements section of the pedia. I just noticed that routes weren't in the pedia just now actually.

It may be that the routes being in the pedia is something that was done in AND but got lost when we upgraded to the new versions of BUG etc. I'll try and remember to check it out when I get back.

the nature potato god buildings can be build 2 times in the second city

Are you sure you weren't building the temple and the monastery extensions? I may not have given them unique names. :(

After version 14.0 launching, Caveman2Cosmos no longer runs on my PC, probably due to out-of-memory issue.

Is there a way to create a "lite" mod, with less huge modifications but preserving the extra religions, civs, techs, civics and units?

After version 14.0 launching, Caveman2Cosmos no longer runs on my PC, probably due to out-of-memory issue.

Is there a way to create a "lite" mod, with less huge modifications but preserving the extra religions, civs, techs, civics and units?

Are you sure?
For example, it took my (rather good) pc about 10 minutes to start a new game the first time, probably because of all the data being created.

Are you sure?
For example, it took my (rather good) pc about 10 minutes to start a new game the first time, probably because of all the data being created.

That is correct, the FIRST start-up takes a long time, but after that it takes less than a minute to load, as long as your PC never shuts off.

Okay, little problem. I've been playing an epic game for a while now and everything went smoothly (I wasn't going for any kind of victory, just playing the game.) And around the start of the Industrial Era things started to slow way down. Techs were listed to take 40 or so turns to research. I was putting out ~4000 beakers a turn, and by the techs' listed beaker requirement, that seemed to be average. Also, when I could research steel (because I was lucky enough to have a Great Scientist to get me Thermodynamics) it came up as only 1 turn. I tried it and the research bar was completely black, and so the next turn it was still listed as 1 turn. And THEN when I went to go research another tech, Steel was listed as having -643 beakers.

What. How is it even possible to have negative beakers?

Are you sure?

Yes, completely sure. Even the running man cursor doesn't appear anymore, giving place to a crash-to-desktop Windows error message.

My machine has 16 gigs of RAM and a 1 gig video card. I am getting random CTDs. I think it happens when I click on something or move the cursor too fast. I am playing on a giant map.

Well updating my AMD drivers to Catalyst v11.6 definitely fixed the black terrain issue for me, I haven't had a problem since. Presumably there was some optimisation tweak in there that for whatever reason solved the problem - it was only occurring for me in C2C v14. Yours is an older graphics card though (I have the 5850) so I can't guarantee that it will work for you.

Good hint, helped me to solve the issue:

I thought I already installed the newest drivers few weeks ago, however, redownloaded and could install (the newest version is from 15th june).

I could run the game once! After a computer restart, C2C failed to load: before the title sceen loads I got: "Failed to init Shader" or something like this. Standard BTS worked.

I reinstalled the ATI driver, custom install, for no apparent reason it installed again and C2C worked another time.

However, I just remember the missing avatars of the civ leaders when having the black terrain issue. IIRC it was mentioned a new shader model for the leader heads - so maybe this is related?
Thanks a lot for the help and for this great mod!

EDIT:

Aarg, it still didn't work for long!
When I tried to start again (not PC, only C2C), I got the "Failed to load shader libraries" issue, reinstalling the driver didn't solve it nor restarting etc, searching ... , I had to toggle off "Win XP SP3 combatibility mode" (I just remembered that it was this that solved the problem with v13) but then I had the black terrain issue again ... . Different other constellations / try-outs didn't seem to work to fix it. Finally I removed the Custom Civilizations folder:

I had to start a new game (loading ended wit CTD), but no more black terrain. Besides, seemed to be a little bit faster than without Win XP combatibility. However, not sure, whether it'll work after re-start etc., may give it a try the weekend.

My machine has 16 gigs of RAM and a 1 gig video card. I am getting random CTDs. I think it happens when I click on something or move the cursor too fast. I am playing on a giant map.

Look at post # 8, very bottom on what to do, thx.

Pleasingly on my rather low spec laptop (3GB memory and not sure what my GFX card is, but it's not high-spec!) v14 runs reasonably well, it's slow to load, 5-10 mins every time, the saves take a while to load too....although the max compatibility save does warn that and sometimes the game starts going grindingly slow for a while and then suddenly picks up again (usually accompanied by my cooling fans going haywire....oddly playing on a wooden table seems to keep it the coolest?).

I'm playing a 14k game on a small map with reduced city art and stationary leaderheads modules running and anything else I can change to minimize the processing power......and hoping that I might actually finish a game with this excellent mod (usually I don't due to a new version being released before I get very far!!)

Brilliant mod that keeps a brilliant game very much alive.....just wish I had a more powerful computer to do some of the work that's been done on this mod justice, as it is I cannot play with barbcivs turned on or the advance unit graphics as it's just too much for my little laptop.

I've discovered a bug with Embassies, or at least the Neanderthal Embassy. My game is v14, monarch, huge map, 12 civs, eternity speed. (This is the one where I conquered the Arabians with a Wanderer. :lol: )

I built the Neanderthal Embassy in 9186 bc. It worked normally - allowing me to build Neanderthal Warriors - until 8136 bc, when the cart path to my stone resource was destroyed by an enemy Thief unit. I got a notice that the Embassy was disabled: "The Neanderthal Embassy in the city of Washington DC is no longer functioning and has ceased doing business. Regain access to the resources or change the conditions in the city to restore the Neanderthal Embassy to working order."

Pretty standard, I thought nothing of it and simply rebuilt the cart path a few turns later.

What I didn't realize - mostly because I wasn't needing any new Neanderthal Warriors at the time - was that the Neanderthal Embassy hadn't just been disabled, it had completely disappeared. It was no longer in my buildings list, it had disappeared from the "Top 5 Cities/Wonders of the World" list, and the icon to build the N. Warriors was grayed out. Restoring the cart path didn't return the Embassy, either. It was gone.

This isn't intended, is it? If so, the message that comes up should be changed to something like "You've lost your resource and now your Embassy is permanently lost."

Top Bottom