Bug Reports and Solutions

What have I done.

1) Installed English pack for Win 7 interface - fail
2) Installed Swedish pack for Win 7 interface, logged under Swedish - fail
3) Installed fix - WORKS but two errors on load:

Russian text:
Reason: Closing tag "Civ4GameText" does not fit opening teg "TEXT"

And then:

So I've edited the tags in the mentioned XML file: Just closed the one extra <TEXT> tag with </TEXT>

4) Now it loads without error but in there are messages TXT_KEY_THORSHAMMIR_PEDIA in the some info screens

Blimey! That's a small error I myself did when editing out all the Ö's from the XML. Wait just a minute, i'll give you the correct XML file...

Here we are. just put this in the Fairy Tale/Assets/XML/Text folder.

So does the game work good now?

Attachments

• CIV4GameText_Dwarf.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 119
Missing Interface Patch

Users have been reporting a missing interface problem with the mod. It seems like in foreign language games (mostly non-Western; such as Cyrillic and Arabic), the Swedish alphabet characters å, ä and ö won't be tolerated and this has screwed up the entire game for some! Here's a patch that removes all the weird characters and gives you back the interface.

Install by dragging the Fairy Tale folder found within this zip to your mods folder in BtS and overwrite where asked.

Thanks to Ungin for helping me find the solution!

Download (Still in moderation, but will clear soon.)

This is not a bug or complaint per se, but just an annoyance on my part. Honestly, I prefer the original fonts style where it's small and compact. I feel that the current one is somewhat big (makes the scoreboard bloated), but that's me. So, my question is how do I change the fonts used in the game?

I actually am not quite sure. I think this font came with BUG. I must investigate and get back on this matter...

In that case, that's ok. I'll check in BUG's forum on how to do that. I remember when I install Blue Marble (as seperate from other mods), it had a separate program to configure the settings but I never know where in the XML/ini files did the change happen.

Do tell me what you find. It could be fun to write these sorts of custoization tips in some kind of separate article, so more users could get access to removing the Better Terrain and setting font size.

I think it might be as easy as finding the function to set font size in BUG's own option screen, if we're lucky! Personally I like the big font, and I like my screen cluttered too, but I know that's not what other people want.

Yeah, I'll definitely post whatever I find here.

I know some people like big font, which, I think makes things easier to find. On the other hand, having smaller font for me makes the screen less clutter. Plus, I guess I am just used to the default font (if I can make it smaller, I probably would :D). In fact, in all of the gadgets I own (my cell phone, PC's default font, if I can change my microwave's LED font, I probably would do so too), I always choose the smallest font.

Ah! Please tell us if you find out how to change the Microwave's LED font as well. I'd be very much interested in that too! :D

I've finally found where the fonts was set. Open the following file with a text editor:
Code:
...\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fairy Tale\Resource\Themes\Civ4\Civ4Theme_Common.thm

Search for Tahoma, which is the font used by default in Fairy Tale. Replace all Tahoma with Sylfaen, which is the default font used in standard Civ4 games.

Oh yeah, as for your microwave's LED, connect your microwave to your PC using the included USB cable first... if your microwave does not have USB connector, you need to get another one :D

I am not sure if this is a bug or intended, but I find it quite annoying. For the last 3-4 times, whenever I've collected enough XP for Great General, I always received either The King or The Matriarch. Those two, while can give 30 XP out as well as build a Recruitment Center, it cannot settle in a city as Great Military Instructor to give extra +2 XP for newly produced units.

At times, depending on situation and/or gameplay, regular Great General, even though only give 20 XP when attached to a unit, may be preferable for the ability to settle as Great Military Instructor, as oppose to The King or The Matriarch. I believe, sometimes we prefer to have one or two cities that can build veteran units right out of the barrack for better tactical advantages.

Another quirk I have is with The Principality's Duke's Guard Knight, which actually weaker than the default Knight. The Principality's Light Horse is great, perhaps one of the best mounted unit prior to Knight (I did a lot of Light Horse rush for killing off already weaken units in the cities). However, the upgrade, Duke's Guard Knight looks weaker than the default Knight.

Here's some comparison (I am ignoring the common abilities/disabilities that are shared among three):

Light Horse
Strength: 7
-5% Jungle/Forest Defense
-10% Jungle/Forest Attack
+50% Attack vs Catapult
+25% vs Mounted Unit
+30% vs Melee Unit

Duke's Guard Knight
Strength: 10
-5% Jungle/Forest Defense
-10% Jungle/Forest Attack
No bonus similar to the Light Horse

Default Knight
Strength: 10
No extra abilities/disabilities

The default Knight definitely looks better, since it doesn't have the Forest/Jungle disabilities that Duke's Guard Knight has. Not that the 5/10% makes much different, but just thought that it a little weird. Is this intended?

You can tell I play The Principality a lot :D

I have fought with the Great Generals/Matriarch/King issue for long, but I cannot find a solution for it. It seems when I give a unit the ability to attach and give experience, it also gets tied to the Combat Experience counter, which makes these kinds of units be born. It doesn't help to make them national units either, because they still get born over and over again whether I make it possible for each nation to have only one of them or not. My only solution was to give the King and the Matriarch the possibility to build the recruitment centre as well, although they're not intended like that.

These units have never worked. In V10 I will therefore cut out both the Great General and the Matriarch and only leave The King - who will be renamed "The Warlord" - and the Royal Prince.

Thanks for the notes on the knights! I will change them accordingly.

Just a little correction to your post. It is not the Recruitment Center building ability I am concern with, but the ability to settle in the city as Great Military Instructor, which is the ability that The King/Matriarch is lacking.

How about, give one The King or The Matriarch when discover "The Kingdom" tech and perhaps another tech as well. So, each Civ will recieve 2 of these units. However, when Great General XP is reached, only have that feature give Great General and nothing else. The King and The Matriarch are really great only for attaching to a unit anyway because of the +30 XP ability. Great General only gives +20 XP, so they are preferable for building Recruitment Center and settle as Great Military Instructor.

That is actually what I have been trying to do. I want only one King per nation (and the Matriarch is the Crystallin King really). But the King keeps being born anyways since it is when you make them be able to give out experience and attach, that they also get tied to the Combat Experience Counter right along with Great Generals. So it's a little dilemma which I've found no solution for.

I know you mentioned that religion will be re-vamped. However, I guess I'll just mention this. It looks like The Principality is set to always found Eagle Order after certain turns regardless of whether the tech required is discovered or not. However, Even though The Principality's capital is set to have Eagle Order HQ, it's not automatically set as the religion's Holy City. I don't think there's any significant to it, but it may not be an intended result.

No. It is not intended. HighwayHoss is working on something that will make the proper religions be assigned to the proper nations automatically though, so it's going to get better.

The Water Well building acts as a fresh water source for a city. I noticed that if I build Water Well in my city, the tile where the city is will be shown something like "Grassland/Underground Water/Hill". So, it adds "Underground Water" as terrain feature in that tile.

However, when I conquer an enemy city that has Water Well, if though the conquest does not destroy the Water Well, the tile lost the "Underground Water" feature. Because Water Well is already in the city, I cannot re-build to give fresh water source to that city any longer.

Top Bottom